scott R2 or a wilier imperiale ???

fly spray

scott R2 or a wilier imperiale ???

Postby fly spray » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi.

im new here (kind of), i forgot all my pasword details for my original account & forget which email i used to sign up 2 years ago.

im looking at buying a new road bike, i sold my avanti team corsa 1 year ago & im currently riding a vintage paganini road bike with early campag record on it, im abit over the down tube shifters & running a 42-19 as my easiest gear.

im tossing up between a scott r2 & a wilier imperial... i dont want a giant/specialized/avanti.

just wanted to see if any of you guys ride the above 2 mentioned bikes & what you think of them?
I know that the scott r2 is super light & rides well (around the car park) but it also seems like it wont last any longer than a year or 2 of riding, I was looking at one at a friends shop & if you squeaze the frame with your hand (relativly firm but NOT with brute force) you & see it squashing inwards quite easily, also the front derailleur braze on has quite alot of flex which would affect the crispness of the front gears slightly.
the bike comes spec'd pretty well but im more intersted in the frame life & ride quality.

The wilier, considering im not a fan of carbon, integrated seat posts OR aero style frames I really like the look of this bike, my guess is that it will be heavier, but the braze on looks stronger & so does the frame......... does anyone here have one? how does it ride?

triangle

Re: scott R2 or a wilier imperiale ???

Postby triangle » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:43 am

I don't have nor have I ridden the Imperial but on Friday I finally picked up my Wilier Cento Uno with Di2 and Fulcrum Racing Zeros. I realise this a is a very different bike but these comments may help:

1) The carbon frame is astounding - I can see and hear that I am running along rough roads but none of the vibration makes it up to my arms or my backside. There is simply no road buzz up the frame. It is the most unbelievably smooth ride, no matter how rough the roads. Far superior to my previous composite frame.

2) The integrated seatpost is incredible - you feel like your core is connected directly to the bottom bracket, giving you greater power when you need it. I wouldn't swap back to a standard seatpost.

3) The finish on the Wilier and general quality is outstanding. Beautiful frame.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Willier.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:Willier.
Agreed, looks better
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

fly spray

Postby fly spray » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Cool, thanks for the info triangle.
Willer it is, I just needed the nudge I guess, Im sure it would be stronger than the Scott because of the extra meat around the joins.

Did you need to cut the frame at all to get your prefered seat height? I hate cutting down the frames ( I had to do it on a customers time frame), I like to idea of the built in post although a fellow I know had one of the scotts with a built in post and crashed after a week of owning it and split the frame where the seat clamp would be on a regular frame... Probably just the way the bike landed.

I prefer the look of the cento 1 but I Cannot stretch the budget that far.

triangle

Postby triangle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:26 am

The integrated seatpost had to get cut down, yes. The mech at my LBS did it with confidence. Made one cut after we found a bike that fitted me about right and used that bike's seat to crank measurement, erring on the side of caution, and then as the fit progressed made a second, much smaller cut. Fit is excellent now. I am blown away by the Wilier - I had no idea just how good it feels to ride a bike of this quality for hours. It is truly sublime. I only wish i could take this coming week off so i could ride for hours and hours every day but will have to wait till Easter for that when I have a couple of weeks holidays. You will love the Wilier - good choice :-)

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sun May 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Nooooo. Don't do it! get the Scott :evil:
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium