Lights for night time trail riding?

robp

Lights for night time trail riding?

Postby robp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 pm

A mate suggested hitting the trails after work now it is getting a bit dark in the evenings. Had a quick scan around the forums and Ay Up comes up often. They are a bit pricey so wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. I know I should be supporting Aussie companies and maybe you get what you pay for. Just wondered if there are any other possible setups people might be using? I am assuming it is recommended to get a helmet mounted light for looking ahead at the trail plus a set for the bars.

thanks for any help.

Anakist

Re: Lights for night time trail riding?

Postby Anakist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:30 pm

I ordered AyUps last week. As soon as they get here I will have a play and take some pictures. Ah ha. They lost it at AAE. I am just about to go get it!

I currently have a 900lm Magicshine, and a Trustfire 1300lm torch to compare with.

James
Bikes:
2010 Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc
2006 Avanti Escape with slicks and "Upgraditis"
2008 Buell 1125r

robp

Postby robp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi James,

Is the Magicshine a bike specific light? It seems to be known as Nitelight here in Aus according to the importers website assuming we are talking about the same thing. Good price so will be interested to see how it compares to the Ay Up you have ordered. Just not sure I can justify the big spend on the Ay Up so something like this might be good to start with and maybe upgrade down the track.

thanks

Anakist

Postby Anakist » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah it is a bike light. This one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ha-iii-cre ... uded-30864. Very narrow throw though. Not good for general riding. I am thinking this one can be a helmet light with the AyUps on the handlebars.

The AyUps seem pretty bloody awesome just playing with them in the living room!

James
Bikes:
2008 Buell 1125r

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Anakist wrote:Yeah it is a bike light. This one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ha-iii-cre ... uded-30864. Very narrow throw though. Not good for general riding. I am thinking this one can be a helmet light with the AyUps on the handlebars.

James
I am thinking of getting a set of Ayups.Are they easily transferable from bike to bike??
they come with 2 handlebar mounts yes?

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Ay-ups are superb lights. For off road you'll want two sets, which gets expensive. I use 1x Ay-ups and a pair of 18650 torches and that set up works pretty well. Many MTBers use the DX headlights and they give excellent light, but many buyers experience reliability issues, so they can be a bit of a punt.

There's a zillion threads on both lights around the forum so searching will give you heaps of information.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks Jean, I'll be using mine on the road, will have a look around the forum.Tim

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Anakist wrote:Yeah it is a bike light. This one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ha-iii-cre ... uded-30864. Very narrow throw though. Not good for general riding. I am thinking this one can be a helmet light with the AyUps on the handlebars.

James
You might find the DX lights, with their high output, may wash out/swamp the Ay-ups, negating the value of having two light sources. I'm not sure if that's a real problem, but I have heard it talked about. Not having used the DX lights I can't offer personal experience.

Cheers

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Jean wrote:

James
You might find the DX lights, with their high output, may wash out/swamp the Ay-ups, negating the value of having two light sources. I'm not sure if that's a real problem, but I have heard it talked about. Not having used the DX lights I can't offer personal experience.

Cheers
I own both types and rarely use the big light. The Ayups are better all round especially if you're doing endurance rides. If you're doing off road some people get away with one helmet mounted DX/Nitelite but I like bar and helmet mounts. It's only a matter of time before you crash because your bars weren't pointing in the right direction with a single light. Single lights (regardless of where it's mounted) don't show depth and angles of rises and drops as well as a high and a low mounted light.

I should have brought the Ayups first; it would've saved me some headaches and money.

robp

Postby robp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:51 am

ireland57 wrote:I should have brought the Ayups first; it would've saved me some headaches and money.
And this is what worries me about buying the cheaper ones and then realising at a later point I should have spent the extra dollars on something decent. Will be interested to hear back from James as to how he gets on with the new lights in action and how they compare to his old ones. I just somehow need to persuade my missus that this is an essential purchase and we don't need more scatter cushions and throws for the bed. And really do the kids need all that food. :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Bought my Ayups almost 3 years ago now, mainly for nite time commuting safety. Got sick of the near misses from other - unlit - cyclists on bike paths. :evil:

Have used them a few times off-road at night and they've been brilliant (pun intended :P ). Enough light for 2 or 3 cyclists on fire trails, as we found out when my cousin's lights died mid-ride. :lol: Am doing the Mont 24 this weekend as part of a team. Hopefully the lower back settles down (not looking good atm) and I can get a ride in. Will be doing a bit more night riding this year.

Quality, ease of use and longevity is well worth the extra dollars. They're robust as.

I'll second the comments about the bar + helmet combo being much better than either alone. Depth perception is still a bit of a challenge though, and requires much more mental effort than daytime riding.

johnfelix

Postby johnfelix » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:50 pm

EXPOSURE RACE is on special at Wiggle
http://www.this link is broken/exposure-race-mk5-front-light
Ordered one today

John

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 pm

What sort of burn time do they claim?

Anakist

Postby Anakist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Sorry guys. failed pretty hard at this. I wanted all the lights fully charged for comparison purposes, but I ended up leaving the magicshine battery at home on my way to work.

I have a comparison, both in pics and a video of the AyUps and the 1200lm torch. I will try to do it again with the magicshine tomorrow at work (I am a live sound engineer so can play with stuff on work time), and will post the pics when I finish tonight.

James
Bikes:
2008 Buell 1125r

Anakist

Postby Anakist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Here we are. Part 1...

Sitting at a picnic table in a little hut, trees are about 15m, and the edge of the water is about 20m. Slight downhill, maybe 1m vertical.

AyUp Low

AyUp High

Trustfire 1300lm light (1300lm written on the torch, 1200 on the DX description)

Both

James
Bikes:
2008 Buell 1125r

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:03 am

Another version of the Magicshine lights. Made to Aus/NZ specs. glowormlites. Seem worth the extra money to me YMMV

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:54 am

I road with Ayups the first time this morning. I have the 40% brighter, intermediate beam lights.

They are extremely good. Very bright with a decent long wide beam.

Turned them on before I left the driveway and lit up the front of the house across the road. :roll:
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:08 pm

aYUPS
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 pm

go the ayups for everything night riding
for road one light on the handlebar is all you need
for mtb have one on the handlebar (intermediate) and one on the helmet (high/narrow beam)
They may cost a bit more buit they are super reliable and if they do fail AYUP have awesome support and replace them.
I am pretty sure they have a crash replacement system, if you crash and break them they replace them for free as they fell they are not breakable (check with them if this is still the case).
I have had my set for about 4 years and still going strong with heaps of commuting use and lots of mtb use including numerous 24hrs.
Pay the one off price and be happy with years of use, switching between bikes is easy peasy,just buy an extra mount or 2.

Hometrail

Postby Hometrail » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:31 am

:D This will be my third winter on Ay-UP lights I love them.For some rides this year I will mount two sets on the handle bars.
Mongoose IBOC World (ex Carravelo Joinery) ultegra
Mongoose Pro NX7.3 xt/lx
Malvern Star XX shimano 600 (1983) converted to flat bar

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Love my AyUps, purchased early 09, intermediate beam on the bars for road and mtb I add a narrow beam set on the helmet. Was just looking at the updates they are currently offerring

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 am

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Fri May 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Still waiting after a week for my birthday pressie Ay Ups. A week of atrocious customer service. Emails not returned, phonecalls not answered, surly and indignant responses from their front end, incorrect information given, order not processed...The lights had better be bloody good after all this. Certainly does not bode well if there is a warranty issue.
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 pm

flashrider wrote:Still waiting after a week for my birthday pressie Ay Ups. A week of atrocious customer service. Emails not returned, phonecalls not answered, surly and indignant responses from their front end, incorrect information given, order not processed...The lights had better be bloody good after all this. Certainly does not bode well if there is a warranty issue.

There's never an excuse for poor business behaviour but they are very busy.

And from what I've seen up this way all returns and warranties (approx six over a 2 yr period) have been honoured.....including mine.

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 pm

I am sure I'll be stoked with the lights when I finally get them, but it's been quite a process. Nobody's perfect and stuffups do happen, and mine does seem to have been a clusterfluff. Hopefully there'll be an excited post from me reporting the Awesomeness of them.
Projectus Distractus Maxima.