Transperth Lock'n'Ride

fixed

Transperth Lock'n'Ride

Postby fixed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Lifted from Transperth
Lock ‘n’ Ride Bike Shelter Upgrade

From February 2011, Transperth will begin to install a new system to access Lock ‘n’ Ride Bike Shelters across the train system.

Passengers will now be able to easily and securely use their SmartRider card to enter the shelters throughout the day and not be restricted by the current access hours. Best of all, bike parking in the Lock ‘n’ Ride Bike Shelters will still be FREE.

Passengers who cycle to a station on a regular basis are encouraged to register their SmartRider for access to the shelter.

Once the new system has been scheduled for installation at your station, Transperth will contact you and advise you of the commencement date.
Please Note

Users remain responsible for locking their bicycles inside the shelter as Transperth accepts no liability for theft or damage to property while in the facility.

Users will only be able to access the shelter by registering for the new system and cyclists will not be able to gain entry into the shelter without a SmartRider card registered for the service. Other bicycle parking areas will still be available at stations such as u-rails and bicycle lockers.
How to register

To register for this service, simply complete the online registration or click here to download a registration form.

Posted on Wednesday, 16 February 2011)
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Aushiker

Re: Transperth Lock'n'Ride

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi

Thanks for the update. I wonder if they are able to identify who comes and goes from the cages.

Andrew

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 pm

sounds cool, they should be able to track who comes and goes from the cages as all the info about smartrider swipes seems to stay in their system for years, last time I logged into Traveleasy and checked out my smartrider it had data going back to when I originally got it in 2008 (was an early adopter/trial passenger)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:35 pm

The ability to extend the technology for bicycle hubs is enormous with PTA and Dept of Transport offering end of trip facilities throughout the metro area. They could operate under the system, with only short time updates required to access local storages. Link this into smartphones and it becomes a very powerful service.

Opportunities for private enterprise (gyms, shopping centres) to co-locate could be offered, need more time to think of potential opportunities. Got my head full of Directions 2031 at the moment.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 am

Just tried the login and it asks you to give the station you'll use, only problem is that it doesn't give Murdoch or Mandurah, only "Mandurch". Hey, I'm easy, I'll let you know how that one goes.

Good to hear that it is starting, I'd originally heard that it would be a trial at Canning Bridge then perhaps along the rest of the lines, plus they'd be arranging extra bike parking at Canning Bridge.

redned

Postby redned » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 am

Great idea but I hope that the card readers are more reliable than the ones on the parking ticket machines. At Whitfords station these are often not working properly. It would be awkward not being able to get your bike out or in.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 pm

That problem of 'Mandurch' has been fixed, you can now easily register for either Murdoch or Mandurah stations bike parking.

It is a great pity that Main Roads doesn't read this forum, the PTA does and has acted pretty promptly on other things mentioned on BNA. Thumbs up for PTA, raspberry for the MR hazard reporting.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Just got an email from BWA about this. The rego form is online and facilities are being rolled out across the metro.

Only pity is that Canning Bridge still has nothing and will never have anything (in its current form) more than the 8 cycle lockers due to severe space constraints and lack of cooperation with Main Roads..
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:00 pm

That's sad, the potential for Canning Bridge for a lock n ride would be pretty massive I'd say.

Has anyone had any luck in getting more facilities at their local stations? Maylands station in particular, there are bikes chained up everywhere willy nilly because there are no proper bike racks. They sometimes are obstructing part of the psp...
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

jet-ski wrote:That's sad, the potential for Canning Bridge for a lock n ride would be pretty massive I'd say.
Most mornings when I decide to take the train to work instead of riding (due to how horrible Perth is to cycle within) I have issues getting a locker at CB. Sometimes if I am lucky there is one free that I am able to use. There's always about 2-4 bikes chained up against the rails next to the road/lockers. Obviously if the station was easier to access and had better facilities more people would be inclined to cycle there instead of parking all over the local streets near the station (a very hot topic for local residents).

Hopefully the CB TOD' vision' will correct this, only question is how long it will take and how well it will be implemented. I'm doing a research paper on it for my 4th year Planning Theory unit.
Has anyone had any luck in getting more facilities at their local stations? Maylands station in particular, there are bikes chained up everywhere willy nilly because there are no proper bike racks. They sometimes are obstructing part of the psp...
Did you come to the EMRC cycling forums? Sorry if you did there were a few ACF members there and I couldn't keep track of everyone. Anyway, this was brought up as a majpr topic when it came to suggesting what and where new cycle facilities should be located. Most tables wanted to have a those secure Lock'N'Ride-style facilities at each station along the eastern rail line as apparently there are issues with congestion atm, especially at Maylands.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Nope, I wasn't there :) Lock n ride facilities would be great, I didn't realise that other stations had them until I rode past Stirling on the way to IKEA some time ago! it is irritating how inequitable the resource allocation is... we only just got extra smartrider readers at Bayswater because people would get stuck in a massive queue on the platform trying to tag off. We wouldn't need them at every station IMHO, just the majors... so Midland, Guildford, Bassendean, Bayswater, Maylands... the stations are close enough together that if you wanted to use the locknride it would be easy enough to go to the nearest station with one.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:24 pm

jet-ski wrote:Nope, I wasn't there :) Lock n ride facilities would be great, I didn't realise that other stations had them until I rode past Stirling on the way to IKEA some time ago! it is irritating how inequitable the resource allocation is... we only just got extra smartrider readers at Bayswater because people would get stuck in a massive queue on the platform trying to tag off. We wouldn't need them at every station IMHO, just the majors... so Midland, Guildford, Bassendean, Bayswater, Maylands... the stations are close enough together that if you wanted to use the locknride it would be easy enough to go to the nearest station with one.
Unfortunately the PTA, unlike MRA, are pretty constrained by availability of funding. So it is basically down to whoever screams the loudest will get a response. Hence the role of the EMRC forums.. to create a document that clearly shows the vision and desires of the people of the region that can be used to pressure State Government to allocate more resources and attention to the major issues present in the region.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Even just some u-rails would improve the situation at Maylands though. They don't cost much! :P

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 am

I heard a rumour that Maylands might get one of these bike cages....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:31 am

CycleSnail wrote:I heard a rumour that Maylands might get one of these bike cages....
If there's the space, there might be the funding.. it's just a matter of getting a bunch of people and organisations/local/regional government authorities together and harassing the PTA for the facility too. Im sure the LGA would prefer to have nice neat lock'n'ride than bikes chained up everywhere.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 am

There's plenty of space around Maylands station... What is the best email to get people to send msgs to in support of a bike cage? I know a lot of people who live in the area who also ride. There's also potential for posters/leaflets...

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:06 pm

jet-ski wrote:There's plenty of space around Maylands station... What is the best email to get people to send msgs to in support of a bike cage? I know a lot of people who live in the area who also ride. There's also potential for posters/leaflets...
First of all talk to your friendly local ACF cycle-advocates:

rolandp and CycleSnail

You should also get as many people as possible to mail/email the City of Bayswater and also drop a line to the EMRC:

http://www.bayswater.wa.gov.au/

http://www.emrc.org.au/

They can't do a lot directly, but they can use your comments and requests to pressure State Government/PTA. A mate of mine from Uni works at EMRC as a transport planning officer, his name is Dane if you end up contacting them. He'll help you out as best as he can.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:18 pm

There's a Greens MP stationed on 8th Ave in Maylands. Maybe the issue should be highlighted to her or maybe we should annoy Buswell? What about the PTA directly?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm

jet-ski wrote:There's a Greens MP stationed on 8th Ave in Maylands. Maybe the issue should be highlighted to her or maybe we should annoy Buswell? What about the PTA directly?
In my view you would be better off raising your concerns directly with the PTA as they are the responsible body ... not much point going to organisations who have no say in the matter other than maybe cc them to keep them in the loop.

I would write (not email) and cc your local Member of Parliament and the Minister of Transport as well. Also make a point to follow-up in your local paper in three to four weeks if you have not had a response.

There is a cycling person/advocate at Public Transport Authority and I would suggest making him the addressee there. I cannot recall his name but I am sure the BTA people would know.

Andrew

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Local paper followup would be a great idea! :) The inequity across suburbs is what really annoys me. I think most people on the Midland line don't know what they are missing, and anything we can do to reduce the number of cars parking around the station (on dirt, jutting on to the PSP sometimes) is a great thing.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:There is a cycling person/advocate at Public Transport Authority and I would suggest making him the addressee there. I cannot recall his name but I am sure the BTA people would know.
Jim Krynen or something like that. I've meet him a couple of times. He did a presentation for one of our Transport Planning classes a couple of years back.

ED: Did an email search and found his info:

Jim Krynen
Cycling Integration Manager
Public Transport Authority
P < 08 > 9326 2383
F < 08 > 9326 2227
M 0407 996 386
Jim.Krynen@pta.wa.gov.au

:idea:

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:45 pm

More good news! I e-mailed him and his response:
thanks, secure bike parking shelters with Smartrider controlled access will installed within the next couple of weeks at Midland and Maylands stations. Guildford, Bassendean and Bayswater are next and should be all operational before the end of June.
:P :mrgreen:

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:11 pm

jet-ski wrote:More good news! I e-mailed him and his response:
thanks, secure bike parking shelters with Smartrider controlled access will installed within the next couple of weeks at Midland and Maylands stations. Guildford, Bassendean and Bayswater are next and should be all operational before the end of June.
Woo! Good to see the PTA is getting it all in gear after many years. Those secure locking facilities will be a blessing for many, many people who will use them.

I just wish they would keep them clean. The single, enclosed bike lockers at any station I have been to are always filled with all sorts of rubbish, mostly cigarette buts and beer cans..

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 am

jet-ski wrote:More good news! I e-mailed him and his response:
Brilliant! +1

edit: if the PTA reads this. I live in Bayswater & use the train station both with and without my bike.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:37 am

1 question that I have regarding these rooms and the smart rider access is what happens if you lose your wallet or it gets stolen? Is there going to be a 24hr hotline number similar to the multi story car parks in the city where someone will come out and let you get your bike out?
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step