Visiting Melb - Looking for some routes?

Crawf

Visiting Melb - Looking for some routes?

Postby Crawf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 am

Hi,
I'll be back in Melb in a couple of weeks and am keen to do some riding, I grew up in Essendon and will also be staying in Essendon so am familiar with most places, however I have never done any riding as an adult and I'm guessing trails like the Moonee Ponds Creek may have been altered or disappeared due to Citilink?
I'll be riding alone so if anyone could direct me to some good bikely maps that I could simply load onto my Garmin it would be appreciated? I'm also keen to to go for a spin along StKilda Rd but have no idea how to connect there from the Nth, and certainly don't want to drive and deal with traffic.
Thanks for any info!?

il padrone

Re: Visiting Melb - Looking for some routes?

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:36 am

For a detailed map OpenCycleMaps is very good for showing bike facilities (lanes, off-road paths etc). No idea whether it can be uploaded to GPS
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Crawf wrote: I'm also keen to to go for a spin along StKilda Rd but have no idea how to connect there from the Nth, and certainly don't want to drive and deal with traffic.
down moonee ponds creek trail (it still exists), onto footscray road, alond docklands drive and bridge over yarra, then along yarra shared path and up steps, onto st. kilda road. all shared path except st. kilda road, which has on-road cycle lane.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Crawf wrote:Hi,
I'll be back in Melb in a couple of weeks and am keen to do some riding, I grew up in Essendon and will also be staying in Essendon so am familiar with most places, however I have never done any riding as an adult and I'm guessing trails like the Moonee Ponds Creek may have been altered or disappeared due to Citilink?
I'll be riding alone so if anyone could direct me to some good bikely maps that I could simply load onto my Garmin it would be appreciated? I'm also keen to to go for a spin along StKilda Rd but have no idea how to connect there from the Nth, and certainly don't want to drive and deal with traffic.
Thanks for any info!?
I'm around most days if you want someone to ride beach road with, I'm studying and occasionally working so I've normally got a few hours