Cannondale Vintage

Sydguy

Cannondale Vintage

Postby Sydguy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi all,

Still questing for a new commuting bike, must be able to clock 200kms per week with minimal fuss. Visited bike shop in Kent st in Sydney and they have a Cannondale Vintage on sale for $1450.

This is a heavy bike with 35mm tires, but it has 27 gears, full mudguards, rack, front dynamo and build in lights. European design. I am over conscious of the vintage thing going on with the skinny jean wearing mob and would prefer a faster style commuter. However it might be a nice option, could lose the leather seat and change the handle bar to something flatter/wider.

Anyone got one or know anything about them?

Cheers,
JM

zero

Re: Cannondale Vintage

Postby zero » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Think they might be dropping the vintage line for 2011. Deore group hybrid should come in at ~$1000 - so coming with the rack/brooks saddle/dynamo lights etc for $400 more seems to be reasonable value for a premium brand bike.

All of my deore bits (shifters, rotors, hubs, derailuers etc) have 25000 kms on them, and have outlasted the original frame, this bike gets selected for wet days too in order to save the road bike, and its done plenty offroad. Replacement consumables aren't expensive and they last well.

Current cassette is on its way out, but its on its 3rd chain and well over 10k travelled, which is not too bad for a wearing consumable which has seen a couple of muddy offroad trips as well as all my wet commuting. Rotors will be replaced next pad change - but that might reflect usage of sintered pads on a supposedly not-for-metal rotor set.

Its not the kind of "vintage" bike that you would see a skinny jeans rider on.

Sydguy

Re: Cannondale Vintage

Postby Sydguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Thank you - I am still very undecided on what to get.

Another spoke snapped on my commute to work this morning, but I have my brakes on VERY loose for this reason. So onwards I toiled with a rear wheel spinning out of control. The poor thing is now in the basement at work, will have to recover on Saturday and give it a decent burial on the weekend.

If a shop somewhere near Sydney had a Giant Seek 1 in large I'd just get it. But no one can get them in... usual wait a few weeks for the new range. But a few weeks on the train is not going to happen.