Not falling with clipless pedals

il padrone

Re: Not falling with clipless pedals

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

ALAN Roadie wrote:I do however have some issues clipping back in from lights and have almost stacked twice. This seems to be more issue when I am taking off up hill. Anyone got any suggestions to help out on this?
Don't stress about it. If you don't clip in straight away it's no disaster. Just pedal on and get the clip-in done when you're riding smoothly, more relaxed about it aand don't have traffic up your rear.

Your cleats should be set so that you virtually automatically place your foot in the right place to click in.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

gregaudio

Postby gregaudio » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:15 am

ALAN Roadie wrote: I do however have some issues clipping back in from lights and have almost stacked twice. This seems to be more issue when I am taking off up hill. Anyone got any suggestions to help out on this?
I find it easiest to clip in with the pedal at the bottom of it's stroke. That way you can put all your weight into the clip without the pedal moving around. Sometimes I just get moving first using the wrong part of the shoe then clip in once up to speed.

ALAN Roadie

Postby ALAN Roadie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will try the one leg pedal option and clipping in at the bottom. I am sure in the not too distant future it will be second nature. Need new pedals and cleats anyway so I might try the look pedal which seem to get goo reviews for clipping in and out etc.

sagara0510

Postby sagara0510 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:50 pm

its been 3 months or so since i started using the clipless pedals (shimano 105) and cleats and i must say the best advice i could offer to you is to be patient.

you won't get it right away, you will fall over and you will have trouble clipping in at the lights/stop sign etc

but it will get easier as you practice it more often. i would always hate stopping at lights etc cos i have to clip out but the more often you do it, the easier it will get. i used to have to look down at my pedal before i try to clip it in and more often that not i would miss or fail to clip it in properly.

anyway i must say i'm still not 100% on the pedals but getting much better. i actually put my foot into the pedal as its highest position but clip in as it is going back down.

good luck with your pedals. be persistant! don't give up! be patient because you will get better :)

ALAN Roadie

Postby ALAN Roadie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, the pedalling while not clipped in has been the biggest saviour. I don't even have to think about it really anymore, unless I have to emergency unclip due to the usual road morons, but even that is becoming second nature with how often I have to attempt it.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:56 am

I bought my first set of spd's the day before my clubs annual 100km achievement series ride put them on the bike, then rode up n down my street for 30 odd minutes clipping in & out of them, then prior to going inside I thought "I don't want my feet pulling out tomorrow so I'll tighten the release tension" Silly move! First checkpoint on the ride the next day I'm doing figure eights around the carpark as I can't get my feet out of the pedals!! Lesson learnt.

I notice no one has mentioned for the benefit of clipless newbies that while it is recommended to unclip by rotating your heel outward, it is also possible and sometimes requires less of a twist to unclip inwards. All the usual disclaimers apply.

Also if your new to clipless and you commute regularly or you ride in a club watch what other riders do. I remember following behind 1 of the women in our club on a ride one day and she kept unclipping her left foot but not putting it down instead just resting it on top of the pedal as she coasted to a stop. I couldn't work it out until it dawned on me. Having the cleat resting on top of the pedal means it's a simple downward press of the foot to re engage and ride away if you don't have to stop but being unclipped just in case avoids those last second frantic attempts to get a foot out & the possible clip stack that can result.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 am

Becker_11 wrote:Also if your new to clipless and you commute regularly or you ride in a club watch what other riders do. I remember following behind 1 of the women in our club on a ride one day and she kept unclipping her left foot but not putting it down instead just resting it on top of the pedal as she coasted to a stop. I couldn't work it out until it dawned on me. Having the cleat resting on top of the pedal means it's a simple downward press of the foot to re engage and ride away if you don't have to stop but being unclipped just in case avoids those last second frantic attempts to get a foot out & the possible clip stack that can result.
Things get interesting when you ride a fixed gear with foot retention/cleats.. no such thing as convenient coasting.. you just have to go with the flow.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:48 am

i truly havent got the balls to try these out . do they really make so much difference . on my bike i just have steel peddles , and i notice i 'm not always on the same foot spot on the peddles on longer rides . which allows some movement , which i thought would be more comfortable . with clip ons wouldnt your foot always be in the same position causing discomfort on longer rides ???
i might try staps 1st . but everyone raves on clip on benifits . a cycling racer told me if i'm averaging 24.5 km/hr with normal pedals . i could increase that up to 1km/hr with ease with clipons .

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 am

I have Shimano M324 pedals with the SH55 multi-release cleats.
I have found that these are quite adequate for road/path use and also with the multi release, the couple of time I have had a panic (not a "lets see if we can simulate a panic" but an actual "I'm about to fall unless my foot clips out right now") the foot has come straight out when my leg has auto-piloted out to stop me falling.

They have a similar pedal, but more road suited - The A530 which would work much the same (with the 56 cleat, not the standard 51).

No clip stacks yet - and I am an unco-ordinated fat bastard.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

Comedian

Not falling with clipless pedals

Postby Comedian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

gtfpv cycler wrote:i truly havent got the balls to try these out . do they really make so much difference . on my bike i just have steel peddles , and i notice i 'm not always on the same foot spot on the peddles on longer rides . which allows some movement , which i thought would be more comfortable . with clip ons wouldnt your foot always be in the same position causing discomfort on longer rides ???
i might try staps 1st . but everyone raves on clip on benifits . a cycling racer told me if i'm averaging 24.5 km/hr with normal pedals . i could increase that up to 1km/hr with ease with clipons .
Mate do whatever gets you there... If you know what I mean.

I first went to them as a safety issue. In the wet (even dews) it's easy to slip off the pedals and do yourself an injury. The downside is that if you have a flat or a loose you have to gather it up as bailing isn't an option.

As you get better and you push your cadence up you realize they are a necessity. You just can't spin without them.... Or I can't anyway.

They don't automatically confer that you'll have a clipstack either. I haven't yet ( touch wood) although i have scarred myself a couple of times. :shock:

MikeyD360

Postby MikeyD360 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:16 am

lets not forget a benefit of being clipped in -
Less chance of this: (when my original MTB pedals spun around into my shin)

And before i showered/changed - yes there was blood running down my leg and I used my sock as a blood-rag to make life less disgusting for passers-by.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah I got some Shimano MT42s on the weekend, with the 51 SPD cleats, and jumped straight into riding my wife's M324 equipped bike on the Monday.

Clipstack on Friday... ironically, the first time my wife rode home with me after work 6 months ago as I pulled up she unclipped but I coasted towards her and pushed her to the clipped side, nearly causing her to clipstack. I stacked in the exact same place, within 3 metres of that. I tightened up the clips that morning, REALLY bad idea, because I'm unsure the hex screws are tight enough in my shoes to allow them to break in a hurry. Anyway, I lay on the ground and gave myself a clap, honestly what else can you do? Bummed that I raised the seatpost earlier in the week, so it was a long way down at 6'1" tall.

My report on the improvements - I have a pattern of spinning at 100+rpm seems to have zero lactic acid buildup so it makes for a repeatable ride through the week. I adjust the gears to maintain that pace. I've noticed that I have been going on the flats with zero improvement, slightly more comfort but my old shoes were utterly hammered so that's not hard, but the CLIMBS... 8)
Every single significant climb where I had to drop gears (I'm normally on the big ring, about halfway on the cassette, hills means middle ring for me) I am pedalling 2 gears higher than I normally do. Hell, I climbed hills out of the saddle yesterday in the big ring and 7th gear, that's like downhills normally LOL

Go clipless. You'd be insane not to if you do anything beyond a quick poke to the shops. It's just so nice to not fight against the hills anymore! :D

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:45 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:i truly havent got the balls to try these out . do they really make so much difference .
I'm right there with ya I must confess. Baby brother tried them and was an instant convert, as is everyone else I've talked to about them - but being the goofball I am I can't imagine any possible way I wouldn't go straight AOT. For the trips I do I've been pootling along OK so far on plain old boring pedals (touch wood!)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am

If you really don't want to go clipless try toe clips. I used them for decades. I reckon the difference between nothing and toe clips is bigger then the difference between toe clips and cleats. But I will say that cleats are better, you are much more efficient. I went on a bike tour earlier this year on a bike without clips and the first thing I noticed was how I couldn't just pull the pedal up with my right foot whenever I wanted to - my foot would just come off the pedal. Clipless really is the way to go, but toe clips are also good.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:23 am

elStado wrote:
Becker_11 wrote:Also if your new to clipless and you commute regularly or you ride in a club watch what other riders do. I remember following behind 1 of the women in our club on a ride one day and she kept unclipping her left foot but not putting it down instead just resting it on top of the pedal as she coasted to a stop. I couldn't work it out until it dawned on me. Having the cleat resting on top of the pedal means it's a simple downward press of the foot to re engage and ride away if you don't have to stop but being unclipped just in case avoids those last second frantic attempts to get a foot out & the possible clip stack that can result.
Things get interesting when you ride a fixed gear with foot retention/cleats.. no such thing as convenient coasting.. you just have to go with the flow.
I look forward to finding out! Seriously this is one of my to-do list items buying and becoming fluent on a fixed gear bike. I think it will be good leg speed and strength training for the longer rides I want to do (Audax)
Regards
Nathaniel

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:31 am

Lizzy wrote:I'm right there with ya I must confess. Baby brother tried them and was an instant convert, as is everyone else I've talked to about them - but being the goofball I am I can't imagine any possible way I wouldn't go straight AOT. For the trips I do I've been pootling along OK so far on plain old boring pedals (touch wood!)
Just as a bit of reassurance, about 10 years ago I fitted SPD clipless pedals onto my wife's bike - she'd been using simple half-clips for the previous 7-8 years, but had used toe-clips with straps in the 80s. Usually there is some 'breaking in' period, during which many people manage to have one or two 'clip-stacks', then get the release action well sorted and don't look back. However I don't belive my wife has really ever had any clip-stacks at all. She is still using those SPDs and quite happy with them. She's a fairly conservative rider so it can be done even by the more timid IMHO. Best thing is to just 'suck it and see'.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Milar

Postby Milar » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:17 pm

I've just finished my first week commuting on SPD's (M540 peds and MT42 shoes). I'm 40, never used anything but flat pedals before and ride just over 10 km each way (so now have over 100km of clipless pedal experience!). I love them :D. On the flat they are good, but up hills they are amazing. I'm probably 30-40% faster up my climbs now! Nice assurance on wet days that my feet won't slip too.
So far, no clip stacks (touch wood). I roll up to a stop like a slow moving track stand and gently clip out if I actually need to stop. surprised how easy it's been to clip in also, by then end of the week I've stopped looking. I just I've set the tension as loose as it goes and I will tighten slightly over the coming weeks.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Milar Good for you, sounds like you've found the sweet spot already. What do you ride? mtb or road? just curious
Regards
Nathaniel

Milar

Postby Milar » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:52 am

I'm on a very cheap, hard tail MTB. Hopefully not for too much longer as I'm going through the process of deciding what to replace it with. I decided to get the peds while I was still on a bike I'm familiar with.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:29 am

Milar wrote: I decided to get the peds while I was still on a bike I'm familiar with.
Good thinking!
Regards
Nathaniel

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Another clipstack this afternoon. :x :x :x :x :x :x

Seems like I would benefit from a far more positive connection in the pedal. The shoes really struggles to disengage sometimes, and I'm actually getting worried that the shoe won't unclip on a regular basis in certain socks (synthetic socks seem to slip that tiny bit). Had a bit of a chuckle, I'm outspinning my old favourite gear, but two falls in a fortnight is making me antsy :cry:

EektheCat

Postby EektheCat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Clipless is definitely worth all the pain and stress, so keep at it and don't give up if you get a couple of stacks.

My most embarrassing stack was in Melbourne and I was riding up hill on a small lane in the cbd and a truck decided to come down a one way street towards me. I panicked and tried to put my feet on the ground but totally forgot that I was clipped in. Long story short, I basically fell over SLOWLY onto my back but was still attached to my bike. What made it worse was that this all happened outside a nightclub where people were howling with laughter. SO there I was, on my back, attached to my bike with a big truck staring right at me. I was still attached and couldn't unclip so the bouncers actually had to come over and help me take off my SPD shoes!!

Turned out the night before, I had TIGHTENED the tension on my pedals thinking I was loosening it... til this day I will never forget the phrase "righty tighty, lefty lossey!"

=)

sjw0410

Postby sjw0410 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:12 am

My tip is if you have MTB pedals, remember to set the tension on both sides. If you don't, things can get very inconsistent. This is my excuse for my one and only clipstack to date. *forehead slap*

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm

ALAN Roadie wrote:Hi

I have Wellgo pedals and cleats and dont usually have too many problems clipping out, even though sometimes they catch at the front but I am sure that is probably something I am doing. I do however have some issues clipping back in from lights and have almost stacked twice. This seems to be more issue when I am taking off up hill. Anyone got any suggestions to help out on this?

Cheers

Kane
I have wellgo pedals too (only $23 incl cleats from wiggle - sorry LBS). Mine are MTB and double sided (WPD823). I also have Shimano one sided clipless pedals on another bike. They cost 3 times as much and are 10 times more difficult to clip back into after stopping at lights than the budget wellgo pedals (thanks LBS, who recommended them). I have no intention of moving to road pedals - am very happy with the wellgo cheapies.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Managed to figure out the problem with the SPD pedals... it seems that there is a significant amount of float in the clip. This means that I'm rotating my ankle a reasonable amount and it's not unclipping, and it's not like I can physically just keep going :roll: It seems to be fine if I push my toe down before rotating, but anyone who has ever clipstacked will tell you that this is the LAST motion you will attempt while trying to flee the bicycle. What a drag. I'm hoping that my new bike, running XTs in all likelihood, will fare better. Seems the regular double sided clips are designed differently, and tighten a different way. Funnily enough, I'm wondering if going tighter would be better, even though it would be hard to twist out, at least it would make a more positive connection? :idea: :lol: I'll have to find a pole to do some testing this weekend
:roll: