trying to write an letter to the mercury.

iaintas

trying to write an letter to the mercury.

Postby iaintas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Here is what i have so far, any suggestion about what to add or what to omit would be grateful, or does it just sound like a load of crap. The gist of the letter is you never know who your hurling abuse at or trying to kill.

A Letter to Motorists.

I am a cyclist, Lycra clad and all, i work in emergency services as do many of my cycling friends, we work in the hospital as doctors and nurses, we work in the ambulance service, we work in the fire department and the police department. I ride to keep fit and because i love the outdoors, i ride because it clears my head before i start a shift.

When i ride i don’t run red lights, i don’t jump the line of cars, i keep to the left when i can, and when i don’t keep left it is for a reason that you may not see. If i hold you up for just a second i am sorry it is not on purpose and i will let you through as soon as i can.

But remember next time you try and run me over or push me into the gutter, hurl abuse at me or worse hurl objects at me, i may be the one that helps save your life, i may be the one that can pull you out of a car crash or do CPR on your loved one, i might tend to your children when they are hurt.

Please help us by giving us room, i want to go to work tomorrow so i can help you.

x8pg2qr

Re: trying to write an letter to the mercury.

Postby x8pg2qr » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm

But remember next time you try and run me over or push me into the gutter
I think/IMO use of this phrasing depends on whether you think that the majority of cars that have been driven in this way are driven by drivers with the intent of doing so, or not. And if you are addressing the drivers who are “trying” to do this, whether a reasonable letter will change their minds.

I would like to think that most drivers drive poorly out of ignorance, distraction or carelessness, and not out of intent. If I thought it was out of intent, then I wouldn’t be riding.

iaintas

Re: trying to write an letter to the mercury.

Postby iaintas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:42 pm

ah good point i might have to rethink that.