History - Dragster/Dragstar

Sommer79

History - Dragster/Dragstar

Postby Sommer79 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Hey Guys,
I have been Googling for quite a while. What is the difference between the Dragsters and Lowriders? Is there any Australian online history for Dragsters? Thanks.

Wild Turkey

Re: History - Dragster/Dragstar

Postby Wild Turkey » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Ask Dragsters for life on Retro rollers. He is the walking dragster dictionary.

hewey

Postby hewey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm

My personal view (for what its worth :lol: )

Dragster bike:
Kids bike from the 60s. Marketed to tie into the (then) relatively new sport of drag racing (picture of a period dragster is below). The shifters on the top bar of the pushie also reflects sportier cars of this period getting floor shifts instead of column shifts. They are sometimes reffered to as msucle bikes, which again reflects the automotive influence (the Mustang was introduced in 64, which was a defining moment in the start of the late 60s early 70s muscle car boom.The dragster style is also heavily influenced by 60s custom bikes too. No different from the OCC choppers we have today really :lol: :lol: The dragster was killed off by the BMX as kids wanted something they could thrash more :wink:

Lowrider bike;
A lowrider bike is a custom bike style, which uses dragster bikes for a basis, with styling cues from lowrider cars. Basically kids who had parents/older siblings with lowrider cars wanted to customise their cars in the same style - twisted chrome details, bent forks to lower the bike, whitewalls, heaps-o-spoke wheels and wild paint all being standard fair. They started off mainly with latinos in the the US. Of course these days there's a bunch of companies who sell lowrider bikes off the shelf already customised...

FindonStyle

Postby FindonStyle » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Here's my girlie Speedwell 'Mustang'. I got it for $10. I've restored it over the last few days after it was stored for 10 years. I've since had the Ape hanger handlebars returned to me, and they are now fitted. Bike is 95% original, just need to find/ replace a lost pedal & the seat stem nut. May have to find another pedal.

It's a shame but the rear tire & tube have rip- burst, rendering them unusable ( I possibly inflated over the 30- 35 psi recommendation). I would like repro tyres/tubes in correct sizes ( SWALLOW 'Stud' 20x 2.125 (R);
20x1.75 (Fr.)
- double thin white walls ).

Any advice on procuring such tyres?- thanks!

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Maybe get on board at "Retro Rollers" and ask around?