Sydney triathlon - what's the story with backpacks?

Christine Tham

Sydney triathlon - what's the story with backpacks?

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:59 pm

I went to take a few photos of the non-elite competitors and was surprised to see a few carrying backpacks whilst cycling - what's the story behind this?

Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

TimW

Re: Sydney triathlon - what's the story with backpacks?

Postby TimW » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Christine, i think they might be transition packs, containing all their gear for the race.Goggles/shoes for run etc, and all their other what nots.Once they find their allocated spot they unzip it and away they go.Tim

edit
found one for sale in the states
http://www.trisports.com/desoto-transition-bag-v.html

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:37 pm

TimW wrote:Christine, i think they might be transition packs, containing all their gear for the race.Goggles/shoes for run etc, and all their other what nots.Once they find their allocated spot they unzip it and away they go.Tim

edit
found one for sale in the states
http://www.trisports.com/desoto-transition-bag-v.html
Ahh - cool - that explains it!

Although some of the ones I saw appear to be hydration packs - too skinny to contain anything other than water.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Christine Tham wrote:Although some of the ones I saw appear to be hydration packs - too skinny to contain anything other than water.
It's actually their aero shaping mechanism. Tri federation isn't as nosy as UCI cf. Andy Schleck at the recent ITT. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 am

triathletes :lol:

it's a shame the only coverage the race got was about the "traffic" chaos" caused by the road closures :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

whitey

Postby whitey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 am

JV911 wrote:triathletes :lol:

it's a shame the only coverage the race got was about the "traffic" chaos" caused by the road closures :roll:
I know, I raced age groups yesterday. Glorious race - but the knockers are already out. IMO the issue isnt the triathlon but the fact that Sydney Traffic infrastructure is rooted so any event = gridlock.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:48 am

how did you go?
whitey wrote:infrastructure is rooted so any event = gridlock.
yea pretty much - i dont know why yesterday would have been any different to any other day there are road and Bridge closures
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 am

whitey wrote:IMO the issue isnt the triathlon but the fact that Sydney Traffic infrastructure is rooted so any event = gridlock.
The alternate view is that every major event wants to leverage the iconic Opera House, SHB and Sydney Harbour for the event, right in the heart of the CBD. So it's no surprise it'll gridlock the CBD and surrounding suburbs. With fame comes a price.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:03 pm

JV911 wrote:i dont know why yesterday would have been any different to any other day there are road and Bridge closures
Apart from the tri event, there was also St George vs Canterbury at Moore Park. Cars were overflowing onto grass strips along Anzac Pde. Big turn out!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:42 pm

sogood wrote:Big turn out!
people still watch League?? :shock:

:lol:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Watched the highlights of this last night. Couldn't believe the remarkable turn around by Gomez. From last during the bike leg after a crash to winning the whole thing in sleet and rain. Big run leg. Remarkable staying power, sheer stamina there.

As for the traffic, I do think closing the Bradfield Highway for the bike leg was a bit silly. If the organisers were paying for the views, the rain put paid for it. They had the whole run of Macquarie St and I bet they could have done a bike leg that did Woollomooloo instead of the main thoroughfare into the SHB. It would have been far more sensible if they held it at Homebush though I guess the triathletes would get sick after swimming in the bay.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

whitey

Postby whitey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:42 pm

CommuRider wrote:. It would have been far more sensible if they held it at Homebush though I guess the triathletes would get sick after swimming in the bay.
Lots of people entered and traveled to Sydney because of the course location. Homebush holds zero attraction for Triathlon imo. Sydney needs to get better at managing special events rather than taking the easy option and saying lets not try.

mianos

Postby mianos » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 pm

I just finished watching the show from One HD. Gomez was amazing.
As to shutting down the CBD, why don't we have a vote for it like they do in Switzerland? I like the event but one has to work out the ratio of inconvenienced people vs the payback.
As they said in the commentary, 'lucky triathlon, they didn't event shut down the bridge for the Olympics" (they ran the longer events towards the south).

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 am

Didn't know BOF has also made himself Minister for Western Sydney (minister for 2/3 of Sydney's population). Don't think the triathlon will get the CBD again next year

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/s ... 6040585406

The Premier, who has made himself Minister for Western Sydney, wants to move events like "Breakfast on the Bridge" and the recent World Triathlon Championships, which caused traffic chaos, out of the city and in to the suburbs...

"We don't want to see a repeat of it [the triathlon traffic chaos]. Sydney has to be available to the people who live here," Mr O'Farrell said.

"The international audience that views the triathlon; the tourism's important but not at the expense of making Sydney a great place to live."

Mr O'Farrell said he wanted more events in NSW, but not in the CBD.

"I think the Western Suburbs [have] got enormous things to offer, the idea of a marathon or triathlons through the Lower Blue Mountains, to use Penrith Lakes better, to use Marine Drive at Five Dock," he said."We've got an incredible facility at Olympic Park that's getting more use, there's more that can be done out there. I accept we don't have an Opera House or a Harbour Bridge at every suburb across the city but there is a lot more to promote around this city than the Harbour, the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. As Western Sydney Minister I'm keen to do that. We want to grow major events but we want to grow them in a way that's responsible, in a way that doesn't cause chaos to a city that is already struggling with traffic and transport issues."
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.