Big Toenail Injury

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gururug

Big Toenail Injury

Postby gururug » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:51 pm

So my right big toenail copped a whack, turned blue and cracked down the middle.

The blood came out two days later but the nail is slightly risen and some minor clear fluid is produced.

So far I have figured out that I can apply disinfectant and nail polish to hard up the crack but i'm a little hesitant to jump on the bike with a closed shoe on. Scared the down pressure on it will loosen / stress it. From memory people wait for it to grow out or rip it off. Which will be a bloody long time.

Anyone ever ridden with a smashed / damaged big toe.

I've been thinking of fashioning a cover from pvc / ice cream containers or alike.

Any ideas?

sogood

Re: Big Toenail Injury

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Don't use nail polish that seals. Let it drain and aerate. Otherwise clean/disinfect and bandage if you need to ride. Change dressing after each ride and don't let sweat accumulate, or you'll brew bugs.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 pm

I have had the same thing happen to me mate.

If yours is split most of the way down, The only way around it was to see the good old doctor and have it ripped off... Ofcourse under heavy pain relief injections..

It happend to me when i was 12 and im now 27 with a toe nail with a slice at the front..

The quicker you get it off, the better it will be

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Deanoz wrote:I have had the same thing happen to me mate.

If yours is split most of the way down, The only way around it was to see the good old doctor and have it ripped off... Ofcourse under heavy pain relief injections..

It happend to me when i was 12 and im now 27 with a toe nail with a slice at the front..

The quicker you get it off, the better it will be
Zero science in removing the toenail; It's approaching Voodoo. The nail is a great dressing, splint and protector. Leave it. And it hurts less.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah, thanks for the tips all, seems to be two schools of thought on this one.....

I believe most gp's will reef the nail, guess it's the most absolute way of treating it, seeings as most nails that are badly damaged will drop off anyway just more slowly and there's a greater chance of infection. And you could pretty much ride on it with a little extra care.

The other philosophy being to let it grow out. Which is more relevant to minor splits.

Mine is borderline. Real bummer of an injury cause there's nothing really mechanically wrong with you but any exercise with shoes is a risk.

I'm going to try to protect it and still ride ( gently ). I guess in a week or so it will make it's own mind up whether it's going to need pulling or not.

Dryness + disinfectant are the most important things I guess.

nayfen

Postby nayfen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 pm

if you remove the nail make sure the dressing that you apply is not allowed to stick to the wound. otherwise everytime you apply a new dressing it ends up like having your toe nail ripped off again. I personally would try to leave the nail on if feasible. soak the toe/foot daily in a bath of disinfectant or salty water, dry then apply dressing. bit hard to tell though without seeing. Please do not post pictures i just had dinner.

petie

Postby petie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:06 am

gururug wrote:Yeah, thanks for the tips all, seems to be two schools of thought on this one.....

I believe most gp's will reef the nail, guess it's the most absolute way of treating it, seeings as most nails that are badly damaged will drop off anyway just more slowly and there's a greater chance of infection. And you could pretty much ride on it with a little extra care.

The other philosophy being to let it grow out. Which is more relevant to minor splits.

Mine is borderline. Real bummer of an injury cause there's nothing really mechanically wrong with you but any exercise with shoes is a risk.

I'm going to try to protect it and still ride ( gently ). I guess in a week or so it will make it's own mind up whether it's going to need pulling or not.

Dryness + disinfectant are the most important things I guess.

Keeping wounds dry should be left in the dark ages where it came from :shock:

Moist, clean and protected. Obviously with a toe that is kinda difficult as moisture in shoes tends to equal bugs. I would put some form of dressing over it(making sure it doesn't adhere as per previous poster) and just keep it clean and keep an eye on it. I wouldn't go nuts disinfecting it all the time, having said that though i would maybe give it a rinse in clean water then whack betadine over the lot. Scrubbing it is also off the agenda unless there is some serious sloughyness.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 pm

Just an update on this.....

Most of the toe nail is risen about 2mm. The nailpolish helped to gently reinforce the vertical crack.

Riding is fine, no pain whatsoever. I think I got lucky because it was a whack to the end of the toe not the top. Very painful for 10mins, and quite painful for 2-4 days, but it's fine now.

The nail will come off, maybe half way through growing out but i'm pretty sure it will be mostly painless.