Best First Race Tactic

Disciple

Best First Race Tactic

Postby Disciple » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Guys,

I have read quite a few threads on people starting racing, I will throw myself to the wolves and ask two questions:

1. What grade is prob best to start off in, and
2. What should my strat be for the first race, get involved if possible; or just sit on if possible, aim to race with better riders or about same fitness?

Firstly my background:

Weight: 94 kg
Height; 196 cm

Riding history: riding road bikes for 15 years, multiple triathlons, adventure races, MTB races, average about 150 - 300 km a week (seasonal). Comfortable riding in big bunches (lived basically on beach road melb for 2 years).

Stats from recent rides (can be backed up with Garmin data [however I do not believe they are so special I will need to do so])

120 km alpine audax this Jan: 4 hr 25 min, elevation 2506 m, average speed 27.2 kmh
last 50 km training ride (alone): 1 hr 47 min, elevation 55 m, average speed 32.8 kmh
Best 50 km this season (alone): 1 hr 38 min, elevation 104 m, avearge speed 33.1 kmh

I am racing this weekend over 45 kmh (graded scratch), just do not know which grade or how to approach it.

After reading previous posts, I will offer that I have a thick skin and will spell, and possibly have spelt, something incorrectly.
:D

Kev365428

Re: Best First Race Tactic

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:07 pm

First off, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, nice first post. Good to see a sense of humor straight off the bat.

My advice based on what you've told us is to start in C grade. Race bunches behave somewhat differently to social bunches, so sit back and watch what everyone else does.
If you're comfortable, have a go at the front for a while. My advice would be NOT to have a go at the sprint, even if you think you may have a chance at winning.
You'll be forever marked and considered a burglar by those you beat :D , plus they'll shove you up a grade or two so fast your head will spin.

Lastly, enjoy yourself. For some, the competition is more fun than getting a place.

Kev.

Disciple

Postby Disciple » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks,

I do not want to annoy other riders in a first ride, C grade is looking good, what is the rigt thing to do if I start to blow up? can I just sit on the whole race (not contesting sprint)?

on the flip side, and it is a big if!!!

If i find C grade to easy, can i request to go up a grade or do i need to wait for someone in the club to make that call?

Cheers,

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 am

Tell them your story when you get there for your first race. They will more than likely recommend a grade. Race as best you can, if you win you win. If you do you will more than likely be put up a grade. Don't worry if you do get dropped, it doesn't necessarily mean you are in the wrong grade, it just might take a little time to get used to racing.

In general I like to race where I'm put, no one can question that then. The only thing I've asked for previously (and I race in club races that attract 100's across the grades at Crits) is to go up after winning a couple in my current grade. They are usually more than happy to obilige. Have fun with it though, race how you want to, but don't be afraid to win if that's what makes it fun for you.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

Disciple

Postby Disciple » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks guys,

Raced B grade, pulled turns, finished 3rd (no sprint), gave prize money back to the club, great fun will be back.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:05 pm

My advice is to sit back and watch all of your competition and learn, who is strongest and fastest! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

XClemX

Postby XClemX » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Nice class there Disciple. Getting the 3rd and donating the money back.

Sure to get you in with the club.

Only thing I would have doine different was to stipulate the $$ went to the juniors for a prize for them..but all the same, classy work.