BIKE CRIME for Women!

Dieseldawn

BIKE CRIME for Women!

Postby Dieseldawn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to Australia and Perth, where i am living. I joined this forum because i needed to speak to like minded women about cycling.

I was on my dutch bike, commuting home when a little boy started riding very close to me. I performed evasive manoeuvres but he continued to stick to my tail. I thought he was being mischievous but he shortly lifted my handbag from my back basket (which was just sitting there without being secured down) and made off with it.

I'm still in shock and i was wondering whether any of you ladies had experiences with bike crime and how you dealt with it, and also what security measures do you employ? I am personally scared of cycling alone now and i have not cycled alone since, which impinges on my freedom.

Also, if you are as naive as me, then please do not perform the same mistake as i did. Also, if anyone continues to sit on your tail, they mean you harm!!!

Yours,
Dawn

jimsheedy

Re: BIKE CRIME for Women!

Postby jimsheedy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm

BMX Bandit

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Hey Dawn

I'm a roadie... gotta catch me first.

Sorry to hear about what happened, suggest you use jockey straps to tie your staff down, get a D-lock and have it on top of your stuff so if the little !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! does it again... smack him with it ;)

Don't let it ruin your life, !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens, my mother got robbed at knife point once she didn't stop going to work because of it. I crash frequently and I don't stop riding my bike.

Parker

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Never had a problem but I use panniers, very hard to lift! I'd get a basket on the front and keep valuables there instead of behind you where you can't see them.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi Dawn,

Sorry to hear this happened to you. There's some real numpties out there with miserable lives and they take delight in ruining other people's days.

When and where did this happen? It is important that other cyclists are aware of the area so that it cannot be repeated.

I have panniers and it is hard to remove them so to speak. Did you contact the police and give them a description of the offender? He may strike again. Hope you get on the bike soon though. I'd avoid the area for now until you get your confidence back again.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Dieseldawn

Postby Dieseldawn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi everyone,

It happened as i was ascending the narrow's bridge from the city towards South Perth. If you are facing South Perth, it was on the left side.

I'm not so sure about panniers as being difficult to rob. I've got panniers too but they are quick release and any thief on a bike who knew his stuff could take it. Now if i use a pannier i shall make sure that the shoulder strap is around the seat post, so even if they manage to dislodge it from the rack, it's still secured by the seat post (cue paranoid behaviour).

I guess I am the unlucky one out of this forum from your replies. Contacted the police and have done everything possible to catch the criminal.

dawn

cinnyis

BIKE CRIME for Women!

Postby cinnyis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Dieseldawn wrote: i shall make sure that the shoulder strap is around the seat post
This is what I do when I am using the basket instead of panniers. I always feel a little paranoid when I do, but after hearing your story I'm glad I do.
I hope this experience doesn't keep you off the bike for long.
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:32 pm

This sounds unusual. I've never in my life heard of this happen in Perth. What time was it?

As others mentioned, don't let it get to you. Learn from the situation and make sure your gear is properly secured next time you're cycling. And keep an eye out for people getting too close.

And ride faster. 8)
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Dieseldawn

Postby Dieseldawn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi there,

It was about 18:38 when the incident happened. It was dusk, a little bit more quiet than usual (it is Perth, afterall)...

Dawn

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:35 pm

G'Day Dawn, welcome outside.

Sorry about your bag, that's right up there in the low act stakes.

I'm not so sure about the strap and seatpost thing from a safety POV. If some lowlife does have a go and frees the pannier from the rack, he's quite likely to pull the bike over as he tries to bolt.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi Dawn,

Also sorry to hear this happened, losing a handbag & its contents is a nightmare however it happens. I hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of cycling for too long - I have lived in Perth all my life, cycled regularly for 7+ years and would agree with what others have said, this is certainly not a common occurrence. Also agree that carrying the handbag on the front where you can see it would be a deterrent as well as peace of mind for you; or perhaps hide the handbag inside a sports bag or rucksack strapped into to your back basket, so it's not as obviously 'valuable' to passing oxygen thieves.

Since you ask for others' stories I did have a scary experience several years ago - a late-teenage kid on a BMX tried to 'clothesline' me off my bike on a shared path on my way to work early in the morning. I'll spare the details because the point isn't to unnerve you even more, rather to say that I do understand the feeling, and also that problems like this are rare. And I was quite rattled - for a while I would get extremely nervous when people coming the other way made eye contact. But that got better with time as I'm sure things will for you. Since cycling is also a favourite solo activity for me and a matter of independence, I just had to make the decision to dust myself off and not be bested by it. There was nothing I could think of really to do differently from a security / self defence point of view - a friend suggested gaffer taping a screwdriver to my frame, but that seemed unwise and a bit extreme to me. And nothing similar has happened to me since.

Good luck dealing with bank cards / IDs / everything, and I hope you feel able to get back into riding soon.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Dieseldawn

Postby Dieseldawn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Mulger bill wrote:G'Day Dawn, welcome outside.

Sorry about your bag, that's right up there in the low act stakes.
Hi Shaun,

What does 'low act stakes' mean? Since i'm on this forum i might as well do my best in picking up on the local lingo....

Dawn

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 pm

G'Day Dawn.
Sorry to go all colloquial on you. :oops: I meant that I rate stealing from the back of a bike the way that happened to you is high on my list of rotten things to do.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dieseldawn

Postby Dieseldawn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Shuan,

AH! I get it!

I thought 'act' was short form for something else, like 'Actuary' or something bizarre. Keep the local lingo coming, one needs to learn.

For all the other ladies - what are your thoughts on cycling with earphones/music in your ears? Do you find that it makes you a target as you are seen to be 'unaware' of your surroundings? Does it interfere with safety in general?

Dawn

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:43 pm

I never cycle with earphones on. Would like to have all my faculties working and aware. I find that there is enough going around that I don't need the distraction of earphones. But occasionally I have succumbed to briefly talking on the mobile while cycling (very slowly).
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to Perth. Where you riding when the little pr**k stole your bag?
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:12 pm

:shock: I have not ever heard of such a thing. Sorry to read that. I say he has done it before, did you report it? He may be known around the area.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

cinnyis

BIKE CRIME for Women!

Postby cinnyis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi Dawn, I will occasionally use headphones but only on trails and during the day with not at a high volume. Just loud enough that I can hear other cyclist's bells or calling "passing".
As for it making you appear unaware, you could have a point there. Back in my uni days us girls were always told not to walk back to our cars at night while wearing headphones because it made you look like an easy target and unaware. The same could be true here.
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'