Transperth Lock'n'Ride

jet-ski

Re: Transperth Lock'n'Ride

Postby jet-ski » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 am

hm, hang around until another commuter comes along with their SR card? convince a transit guard to open it for you? not sure, it's a good question!

I wonder if they would charge a $50 fee like they do at car parks when you have to get let out after hours? "O
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Becker_11 wrote:1 question that I have regarding these rooms and the smart rider access is what happens if you lose your wallet or it gets stolen? Is there going to be a 24hr hotline number similar to the multi story car parks in the city where someone will come out and let you get your bike out?
Email Jim.. his details are listed on page 1,
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 am

Hi, is anyone aware of any station which has the cages fully installed. For example:
Stirling Station - cage build - not automated
Greenwood Station - two cages build - neither automated

I like the idea of the cages, in particular as I can't get my bike into several of the lockers due to bullhorns:

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 pm

rolandp wrote:Greenwood Station - two cages build - neither automated
Horrible tire racks as well. I hate those things.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:43 am

The only thing worse than those racks is the idiots who wheel their bikes up to them front wheel first then grab their $5 cable lock and lock only the front wheel to it. The bike has fallen over before they've walked away. I'm left shaking my head at their total lack of thought and caring.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:53 pm

I use those at work every day and am yet to have any issues. In fact only the front wheel on my commuter is showing signs of a wobble, and that never goes in to those racks :idea:
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:25 pm

jet-ski wrote:I use those at work every day and am yet to have any issues. In fact only the front wheel on my commuter is showing signs of a wobble, and that never goes in to those racks :idea:
More of an issue if you want to securely lock your bike with a U-Lock. Damage from the bike falling over or being knocked over is another factor.

They only put them in because they are cheap and removable.

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:00 pm

The PTA have provided us with a different version to that in our bike shed at work!
It is a similar sort of rack but they have the lower diagonal wheel cage and then a higher sort of stretched P type support rail which would be at waist height at the top and the lower rail is about right height to rest a pedal on which enables the bike to stand on a slight lean. ( I did think about taking a picture today and didnt follow through - will see if can get one tommorrow).
I havent found them to be a problem, though it is of course not a public place and most of the drivers who ride, do have an appreciation for each others property and nice bikes! 8)
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:37 pm

The only bike I would be leaving in those sheds would also be cheap and removable ;)

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

jet-ski wrote:The only bike I would be leaving in those sheds would also be cheap and removable ;)
+1
Regards
Nathaniel

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:49 pm

I emailed Jim Krynen today regarding my question of how to retrieve our bikes in the event of a lost or stolen wallet/smartrider card. Here is his reply:
Nathaniel, first...don’t lose your wallet...station staff have access with a contact phone number on each shelter.
You will have to unlock your bike from the shelter in the presence of one of the staff members.
No charge will apply.
Please contact me direct on 9326 2383 for any further questions.
Btw. Thanks for your support!
Regards
Jim Krynen
Glad to see they have already thought of the possibility and have put measures in place to ensure you wont have a long walk home.
Regards
Nathaniel

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:52 pm

wagr1213 wrote:The PTA have provided us with a different version to that in our bike shed at work!
It is a similar sort of rack but they have the lower diagonal wheel cage and then a higher sort of stretched P type support rail which would be at waist height at the top and the lower rail is about right height to rest a pedal on which enables the bike to stand on a slight lean. ( I did think about taking a picture today and didnt follow through - will see if can get one tommorrow).
I havent found them to be a problem, though it is of course not a public place and most of the drivers who ride, do have an appreciation for each others property and nice bikes! 8)
Maybe these were a trial version they chose not to use. Anyway they seem to work ok

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Personally I would prefer the uprights only but they are definitely better than others I've seen.
Regards
Nathaniel

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:22 pm

yeh - well you do need to stuff around and get the bike to sit right.

Even the top rail of the upright has padding, so been a bit of thought there!

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Word on the street is that new secure parking for ~18 bikes will be installed soon at Canning Bridge station on the "southern side of the bus deck". :D

Seems like the chaps (AT) the PTA are finally getting some luck.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:53 am

I got to check out the bike lockers at the Currambine station a few days ago and to be honest was rather disappointed to see how it operated. It is locked during the day for approx 6 hours during which time you have to ring a number to get your bike out otherwise it is left wide open. So I'm very glad to hear they are bringing in these new automated systems cause to be honest given the way they have worked up till now I would rather lock my bike to a pole or bike rack outside the shelter and at least know no one was going to hit it or whatever with their bike as they moved around inside a cage.
Regards
Nathaniel

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Looks like they have started work on the Maylands cage. Last night there was a square marked out for it, and today there were workmen there removing some of the pavers as I went past. Doesn't look like it's going to be big enough though!

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the maylands cage I'll head over and check it out.
Regards
Nathaniel

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri May 13, 2011 12:19 am

They have pegged it out and wrapped that orange mesh stuff around the area. Will take a pic when it's looking more like a bike shed.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 am

Yeah I went down tonight for a look but the pic I took didn't come out as it was too dark even with the flash. It's good to see where they have located it. It's not being hidden away in some forgotten corner somewhere.
Regards
Nathaniel

vincent dunkle

Postby vincent dunkle » Fri May 13, 2011 6:05 pm

on a somewhat related issue, i noticed transperth have removed the bicycle symbol stickers from the fold-up seat areas on the trains (on the train i was on anway) . there is only a disabled sticker and a pram/baby sticker now.

more anti-bike intent as i see it.

ive also noticed a lot of selfish parents seem to think the pram symbol indicates the seats are for their hyperactive little toddler to sit in lieu of a paying adult.

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:50 am

Cycle Lockers installed at Grant st station this morning on the Up side or heading to Fremantle side. The installers were still busy fitting them when I went past at 0845
just a set of 2 so I guess capable of holding 4 bikes.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Tue May 17, 2011 12:24 pm

The one at Maylands is well underway now. Overheard a passerby asking a construction worker what it was and he said 'I don't have a clue, mate'.

Odd.

Can't wait for it to be finished and get all those ugly BSOs that are usually locked all over the place hidden away a bit ;)

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:36 pm

BSO's?
Regards
Nathaniel

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Becker_11 wrote:BSO's?
Bicycle Shaped Object