3 Teens Nabbed

RobRollin

3 Teens Nabbed

Postby RobRollin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 am

Last night out on the Ken Self ride, 3 teenagers were nabbed by the Police, just near the rowing club, putting glad wrap accross the cycleway. You can imagine what would happen if you ran into this at 30, 40 km/hr.

Christian

Re: 3 Teens Nabbed

Postby Christian » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 am

Geez RobRollin that is scary stuff...we were running (well I was riding eh Barry) out that way last night ..... where did you hear of it? Not in the Merc today :wink:

Cheers
Christian

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:53 pm

This sort of thing seems to be getting worse. I ran into some packing tape strung across the path in Montrose a few weeks ago, lucky I was on the commuter as it has a more upright position so it got me across the upper chest. It broke and I stayed upright but for the split second between when I felt it and when it broke I did not know if it was rope/wire or what and that was one of those...this is going to hurt moments :shock:

I keep having to move those big bluestones of the path at Newtown[between the highschool and the nursery] Along with the trolleys,bits of wood...a 4ft fluro light housing :? Bogans throwing rocks and stubbies at you.... oh and enough glass to replace every bong in Nimbin :mrgreen:

Its not allways bad but it has its moments and to be fair they do keep on top of keeping it clean during the week on most parts. So they should too its only 14km long.

I use some or all of it on just about every ride because I live abour 500m from the end of it and it leads to where I want to go. I'll keep using it but you do have to keep your wits about you, specially at night in the hour or so before it gets dark. Because thats when they come out to feed,spawn and replace the green and brown glass carpet they laid the night before. Once it actually gets dark its normally pretty quiet. Well it has been all winter anyway but thats about the only bonus about riding at night then.

We could do with a lot more police on bikes as well. Ive seen 2 this year and they were together, thats in nearly 7500km with 90% of those rides using the cycleway.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:25 am

Baldy wrote: Its not allways bad but it has its moments and to be fair they do keep on top of keeping it clean during the week on most parts. So they should too its only 14km long.
It is usually at its worse on Monday mornings, or after long weekends, or during school holiday.

I had a bogan girl try and have a go at me near Glenorchy a few years ago. I was riding into uni, and I am not a small lad, 6 foot 90kgs, played Rugby, ex Army. There a unique breed the bogans in Tassie.

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 am

skull wrote:
Baldy wrote: Its not allways bad but it has its moments and to be fair they do keep on top of keeping it clean during the week on most parts. So they should too its only 14km long.
It is usually at its worse on Monday mornings, or after long weekends, or during school holiday.

I had a bogan girl try and have a go at me near Glenorchy a few years ago. I was riding into uni, and I am not a small lad, 6 foot 90kgs, played Rugby, ex Army. There a unique breed the bogans in Tassie.
Nah they're all the same - brainless.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

maDKient wrote:
skull wrote:

Nah they're all the same - brainless.
Tasmania is a wonderful place; that is why I have been here for 4 years. "Bogan" was a term I had not heard until I moved to Tassie, and I could see the meaning in 'some' of the characters in Dodges Ferry and Carlton where I live. I emphasise "some".

These bogans are now seemingly less in number, I think familiarity might diminish the impression, and I think that the place is slowly changing from a collection of substandard huts to a higher building standard. The percentage of dwellings occupied full time might have had an impact on rental prices, driving a few further afield.

Bogans? How do we get them?
Tasmania seems to encourage mediocrity through the education system. The idea of having "Leavers Balls" etc for people who have fumbled through year 10 seems to be an encouragement of the thinking that a Year 10 education is a satisfactory echievement.
High schools should include years 11 and 12, and students should see year 12 as their goal from an early age.

Tell me if I am out of order here; after all, Tassie is still a great spot. Tassie bogans need help.

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:07 pm

time to get tough on our kids , nothing funny about attempted murder . grounding or warnings arent good enough for this type of thing . a year in juvenile jail and a year off school forcing them to have to repeat where they left off will serve a great example to what happens when your bad , and teach them principles of whats funny , and whats a criminal. :evil:

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Speaking of 3 teens...

I came across 3 of them at the underpass near the Claremont pub, they had covered the path with big bluestones from the railway tracks and an old bike they had obviously placed on the tracks and had it run over. I saw them up on the road on the overpass as I approached[heading north] I decided to clear all the crap off the path and had one of them poke his head around the corner, with a smirk on his face. I rhetorically asked him do you want to come and help pick this up? Narp! was the answer of course.

He went and I finished picking up the rest of the rocks/glass/bike bits. Then him and one of his mates are there watching, asking me if I am having fun, they were having a great old time. That did the trick, I snapped and jumped the fence and ran up the bank. They ran. Except for one of them, who pleaded his innocence while telling me he told them not to do it. A few years ago he would have lost his teeth as a message to the other two but thankfully for me and him I have mellowed somewhat. I made it clear they just picked the wrong bloke, I use the cycleway most days and if I see them two on the path again they are going to have a problem.

Its not like they were 8-9yo's. More like 15-16. Old enough imo to learn one of lifes lessons the old fashioned way, which is why I did not call the police.

If you disagree that is ok, you are free to call the police if you come across stuff like this. But I do not think the police are a deterrent to some of them. They only understand a clip around the ears or at least the threat of it.

It ruined my ride but just think what it does to people who are intimidated by these oxygen thieves. They are likely to avoid the area altogether.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:08 pm

good stuff Baldy, I noticed all that crap under the bridge yesterday so went up and rode the road till Glenorchy.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Yeah there was a small line of little rocks across the track on my way out, the sort you come across all the time. I just rode through those and kept going[did hear some voices but did not see anyone] But on the way back some of the rocks were the size of footballs.[this was about 4:30pm]

I had a nice ride/day to Salamanca market, so was just on my touring/commuter bike in shorts and tshirt. In case you were picturing me leaping the fence and running up the bank in teamkit and cleats :lol:

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Well....Baldy I would have liked it more if you had said you had grabed him and shown him the same respect as what he is showing by placing rocks on the path where children or adults could have hit the rocks and come off injuring themselves....

WAIT....this did happen to Nicole who hit a large bluemetal rock and came off, scraping her knee and punturing her calf with the chain wheel. Now I know it was purposefully done....not happy...

Add to this during the week I was PUNCHED going through a gate.....luckily...common sense and Nicole took over and I didnt turn around. He thought Nic who was going very very slowly through the gates should have waited for him and his wife out on a ride on their step through bikes. Maybe he didnt like lycra clad riders? In any case he was lucky. If Nic wasn't there it may have ended differently.......

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Dont worry the thought crossed my mind.

But the one that did not run had plenty of time to. He was very nervous and sounded genuine, so you need to weigh things up pretty quickly and make a decision. I decided not to slap him just in case he was telling the truth. Its not that hard to believe, while he might not agree or like what his two twit mates are doing. Telling them to stop or saying no is another matter, some people are easily led.

The other thing you need to be careful of is although they were pretty much my size[fatter :P ] they were not 18.

To be honest I dont need that kind of trouble. I had a pretty good idea these guys would scatter, thats why I jumped the fence.

I am capable and will defend myself but I choose my battles carefully these days.

Sorry to hear about your friend, that sucks. Chainring holes are nasty little buggers,dirty. I got one in my achilles a while back on the mtb, took its time healing and left a scar.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 am

RobRollin wrote: Add to this during the week I was PUNCHED going through a gate.....luckily...common sense and Nicole took over and I didnt turn around. He thought Nic who was going very very slowly through the gates should have waited for him and his wife out on a ride on their step through bikes. Maybe he didnt like lycra clad riders? In any case he was lucky. If Nic wasn't there it may have ended differently.......
wow... that really sucks and I admire your self control, mouthing off is one thing, but physical assault would have given me the green light for sure. It used to annoy me seeing cyclist riding on the road when the bike track was only 50 meters to the left, but its seems like the road is safer than the bike track.

I don't know if you guys go by the same "rules" or etiquette for a better word, but I go by the following:

Rider on the road side(danger side) of the gates I give way to (let them go first) and if I'm on the road side I expect to be given way to.

Walkers should always give way as its of no detriment for them to stop.

Runners I always give way to as I know how annoying it is to have your rhythm interrupted.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Although I dont completely agree with it I thought the rule was riders need to give way to peds at all times? It says something like that on the gates? Thats what I do anyway. I think bikes should have right of way[so that a ped cannot just step onto the path and expect right of way] and walkers should be forced to keep left at all times[via fines for not complying] pipe dreams really...

When I ride on the footpaths[perfectly legal in Tasmania and safe to do if you are sensible]I of course give way to all peds, its shared space but I see it as their domain. I use the same logic for the Intercity Cycleway, the name should really give a hint :wink: But as the rules go now its no more than a glorified footpath.

For approaching riders at the gates I pretty much do the same as Doggatas. For me its a mix of what direction I am going[heading south most of its easy to stop and grab the fence without putting a foot down] and who is approaching and how fast. Kids, older people and anyone who looks a little unsure of themselves I wave through as its easier for me to trackstand for a bit than it is for them to stop and get going again while also looking for traffic.

Overall I dont mind using the cycleway, even on the roadie. It is fantastic for commuting from the nrthern burbs to the cbd and for families/new riders.
There is no way I'm letting a few mouth breathers ruin it for me.

docca

Postby docca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Went for a quick spin out to Claremont on the bike track this arvo. No probs on the way out but coming back met 2 young guys riding side by side in my direction. Usual suspects, no helmets no brains so was a bit wary. As I was nearly on them the guy on the left decided it might be worth a laugh to push his mate in front of me. Was doing over 30kmh, missed hitting the fence by an inch and actually lightly brushed the guy as I went by. Slammed on the brakes and turned and gave chase to the little sod that did the pushing. He quickly ditched the bike and took to the scrub on foot. A lime green dual suspension thing that weighed a ton but looked lovely flying over the fence and sounded nice as it bounced along the railway track. Hopefully he may think twice before pulling that stunt again.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Sweet..... Thanks for the service.

Giant Pete

Postby Giant Pete » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Love your work.

Nothing like cycle training with some weight-lifting thrown in the middle :P

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Awesome work , you have made my day.

Always wary out in the neck of the woods.

Have found a couple of interesting things left in the middle of the track , including a basket ball sized lump of concrete behind the old church.

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm

notice someone put oil on the track near showgrounds recently. yeah real nice

it aint always the kids and bogans though. case in point: teacher who strung up wire on a trail near cascades. dimwits come in all shapes and sizes

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 pm

While I understand and applaud your actions in avoiding the prang and in chasing down said yoof, please don't throw bikes on rail lines. They can do significant damage to trains, right up to derailing them.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

docca

Postby docca » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 am

MB. No such problem in Hobart with trains. Lucky if we have 2 go by a day. In fact we would be lucky if we have any that actually still work. Kid would have plenty of time to retrieve his bike.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 pm

I know what docca means Mulgar. To give you the picture, the rail line to Hobart is not the Melbourne to Bendigo line, more like the Kyneton to Redesdale line, or almost so.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks for that lads, appreciate it.

Master, the line to Redesdale hasn't seen a train for a while now.
Me, I'm gonna ride the Bendigo-Axedale rail trail tomorrow with the lad, should be fun :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011