Campag free wheel clicking

Bianchibiker

Campag free wheel clicking

Postby Bianchibiker » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:22 pm

I have Campag Veloce gears with a Chorus rear derailier and Veloce 13 - 29 10 speed cassette. I really find the loud clicking noise when freewheeling annoying. I just changed wheels to Mavic Ksryrium Elite however the clicking is still as evident as before. Any ideas how to reduce the noise???

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:08 pm

Campag's freewheel click is particularly loud and that's a feature. Some people love it and some don't. But if you also complain of Mavic's freewheel clicks, then I think you have a particularly low threshold.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:13 pm

The bent's got Speedmax hubs and they click like the Campy ones do. Mate, it is so flamin' annoying ... but very useful on a bike path, no need at all for a bell, just stop pedalling. I had an old bloke pull out his tin helmet and dive for slit trench while screaming STUKA, STUKA the other day :shock:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:17 pm

The freewheel ratchet click is your friend, if you can hear that then it's not broken! ;)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:20 pm

They are bloody annoying...if I hear that noise then we obviously aren't going hard enough so it is time to go to front and drive it till their dropped :twisted:

Bianchibiker

Postby Bianchibiker » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks for the responses. Regarding the clicking from the Mavics, the reason I mentioned it was that the clicking noise was just as loud as the Khamsins they replaced, (love the Mavics by the way). I was just wondering if the clicking was more the wheel or was it the cassette?? :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Bianchibiker wrote:Thanks for the responses. Regarding the clicking from the Mavics, the reason I mentioned it was that the clicking noise was just as loud as the Khamsins they replaced, (love the Mavics by the way). I was just wondering if the clicking was more the wheel or was it the cassette?? :)
The clicking comes from the free wheel body rachet...there are many similar designs all operating on the same principles.Mine are nearly silent...some are not and sound like a card on the forks like when you where a kid.
If you turn your bike upside down,put it in a big gear and wind it up to a fair rate of knots...let go of the crank arms.They should come to a stop fairly quickly while the wheel keeps spinning.If they dont then your free wheel body is dragging and needs lubing...very common with mavic hubs.
If hubs have the right amout of oil in them then there is not much else to be done.Obviously only counts if your bike has a serviceable hub.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:46 pm

convert it to fixed gear

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Bianchibiker wrote:I was just wondering if the clicking was more the wheel or was it the cassette?? :)
Neither. It's the freewheel mechanism.

Deanj

Re: Campag free wheel clicking

Postby Deanj » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Bianchibiker wrote: Any ideas how to reduce the noise???
Don't stop peddling! :D

MichaelB

Re: Campag free wheel clicking

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 am

needsapush wrote:
Bianchibiker wrote: Any ideas how to reduce the noise???
Don't stop peddling! :D
Shimano or fixed !!

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:56 am

Or get other wheels/hubs. My Bontrager "Select" wheels (with Bontrager hubs) have an almost silent freewheel but probably not in the same league as your wheelsets.

Maybe we could swap? :twisted: I quite like the campy sound ...
The older I get, the better I was...

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:36 am

Blybo wrote:Or get other wheels/hubs. My Bontrager "Select" wheels (with Bontrager hubs) have an almost silent freewheel but probably not in the same league as your wheelsets.

Maybe we could swap? :twisted: I quite like the campy sound ...
I think the whole point is that the noise is not coming from the wheels, but from the Campag freehub body. So it does not matter what wheels you use as long as you are using Campag gear you are going to have to learn to love the "Campy Sound"!

BTW to the Original Poster, how did you find the Khamsins (apart from the noise...) I am thinking of getting a set for my retro rebuild. I have Ventos on my main bike and they seem pretty similiar but at a lower price point.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:38 am

+1 on the Campy clicks. When you are on a shared bike path, it's good to be heard.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:07 pm

From my experience (riding Ventos and following Mavics) the Campag freewheel is typically quieter than most Mavics. I prefer silence though.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 pm

I gotta say that while not owning one, just from one test ride, I don't mind the Campy clicking. Sure Shimano silence is nice, but I can take Campy as it's part of the design/appeal to some, me included. It's when your Shimano starts clicking, then you get annoyed.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Silent running it golden. You can have your clicking. I have to live with the rotten noise on my bent but after the purity of riding fixed, the silence of a Shimano freehub is wonderful whereas that ruddy racket is just awful.

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:30 pm

I gotta get mine looked at, it's starting to go "Campy" on me :roll:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I gotta get mine looked at, it's starting to go "Campy" on me :roll:

Shaun
Unclip the playing cards from your front wheels :wink:

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:35 pm

Hehehe, I get that on Deni sometimes when the Sigma speed sensor rotates inwards a bit...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:06 am

Which reminds me, I need to clip the loose ends of those cable ties. Didn't have scissors handy when I fitted the Cateye computer last week, keep forgetting to cut them.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:46 am

europa wrote:Silent running it golden. You can have your clicking. I have to live with the rotten noise on my bent but after the purity of riding fixed, the silence of a Shimano freehub is wonderful whereas that ruddy racket is just awful.
No wonder you have a liking for fixies. :roll:

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:46 am

:D :D

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 pm

There's a hub called a Gravity Zero which has a freewheel clutch with no ratchet and instant takeup, plus completely silent hub like a fixed gear.

Fixed gear isn't completely silent though, because you can still hear the chain moving through.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Bnej wrote:Fixed gear isn't completely silent though, because you can still hear the chain moving through.
Not when everything's clean and the chainline's right - well, you can't hear it above the hiss of the tyres on the road :D

Richard