Riders in Townsville

juggled_balls

Riders in Townsville

Postby juggled_balls » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Hey hey,
I've just moved to Townsville from Melbourne and have noticed a lot of people riding on the other side of the road....against the traffic!!...and there are so many people here that don't have any lights at all...anybody else notice this too?

The Womble

Re: Riders in Townsville

Postby The Womble » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Having lived there for 20 years I reckon most of the cyclists you've witnessed are derro bums. Mind you, you noticed the higher number of riders for the population? Kids on bikes! Wow!
Oh and ride down to the strand on a Sunday and you'll find 10m long dbl decker bike racks absolutely chockers full of eye candy outside the local cafe's. It blew me away last time I was up there.
As for the slacko's riding however and where ever they want, welcome to FNQ. some people still think the state laws only apply to those anal tie wearers in the South East. You've moved back 20 years on the evolutionary scale :wink:

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm

I dont even know what an anal tie is :shock:

trickle

Postby trickle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 pm

The Womble wrote:Having lived there for 20 years I reckon most of the cyclists you've witnessed are derro bums.
I resemble that comment!

I cut my teeth doing repeats around magnetic island and mtb'ing around Mt stuart etc.

Good times, weird derro times.. :P

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:30 pm

I lived there in the early 80's. Southerners* were not to be trusted.

*Southerner......anyone from over the crematorium hill to the south. ie someone from Ayr, Brisbane, Hobart, or South Pole. Or anywhere between aforementioned locations.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:45 am

master6 wrote:I lived there in the early 80's. Southerners* were not to be trusted.

*Southerner......anyone from over the crematorium hill to the south. ie someone from Ayr, Brisbane, Hobart, or South Pole. Or anywhere between aforementioned locations.
Times have changed. That theoretical boundry has shifted 5km South to the far side of Alligator Creek at the roadhouse

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:23 am

:shock: so i'll have to watch my back when i'm riding if i'm obeying the road rules :shock:

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 am

Pity you dont have two heads or at least a third eye like some of them

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Sat May 14, 2011 1:19 am

hey guys last saturday, the 7th, i was riding away from ross river dam and then noticed a lot of mountain bikers heading that way. anybody know if there was an event or if they are a mountain biking club? are there any tracks or anything up around the dam?

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 am

You can ride the length of the dam wall for starters, about 10 km I think. Then if you turn down inti the Kelso Country club theres all the bush that has tracks through to the base of the Pinnacles. Dont cross any tall fences. Army Live Firing Grounds tend to be places you should avoid a
little bit

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Sat May 14, 2011 10:50 am

cool...thanks for that....do you go up castle hill often? i went up on my new road bike and usually i can come flying down on my mountain bike but you really have to hit the breaks coming down on a road bike because of the speed humps. how fast do you think that you can/should be going over those humps? i saw a guy go ahead of me down the hill and lost sight of him after a few seconds. it scared the hell out of me on the road bike O.O

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sat May 14, 2011 11:50 am

Whrn we did Castle Hill sessions (x3 at times) there were no speed humps. Its been a while but from memory it was possible to hit 90+ down there if you took risks. I would have done 80+ for kicks.
One guy went over the guard rail at the water tower half way down once. It took Ambo's and the police an hour to get him back up to the roadside.
The TCC laid down the humps after a cpl of riders cleaned up early morning walkers. I almost got nailed on a morning run there in 2002. Coming down you dont hear the speed demons behind you until it too late, and the wind roar has you wanting to duck off to one side or the other. It was easy to be collected before the speed humps slowed the down so much