Enlighten Me On Bike Lights

Krank

Enlighten Me On Bike Lights

Postby Krank » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:28 pm

My morning ride was severley cut short this AM after riding over a sizable rock and ripping a large hole through the sidewall of my newish Continental Gatorskin rear tire.

I though I had enough light power with my current cheapie light to see these details on the track in the dark but, was clearly not enough. :cry: :cry:

Another $70 tire was bought today and I am now in the market for another, better light.

So, I am wanting a light that illuminates the night light of the track so much that I can see every little bit of crap on the track - just like daytime.

Give me the good oil on what type of lights that would help achieve my aim.

Krank

GraemeK

Re: Enlighten Me On Bike Lights

Postby GraemeK » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Try the search feature - lots of posts about this already - one one the new posts page as we speak
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=39633

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Krank wrote:Another $70 tire was bought today and I am now in the market for another, better light.
Krank
I think you need to learn about such shops as Wiggle c r c etc etc where said tyre is $34
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:16 pm

THanks Baalzomon.

Yes, I use c r c frequently and have spent over $2k with them so far and also well aware that the said tire is $34 at c r c or Wiggle, etc..

So, yes I am aware of the huge cost savings on offer when shopping online.

I did not have a spare tire, and will not wait 2 weeks before I receive another tire from OS (and stop riding while I wait).

So, I am happy to fork out the extra $40 for this tire to get me back riding right now.

I will be ordering 5 new tires from c r c tomorrow, along with some more goodies....

Krank.

Chef

Postby Chef » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:11 pm

If your ordering from c r c have a look at exposure lights. Very good build quality. Reliable, weather-proof and bright as you like (up to 1800 lumen). They also clip on and off from a very sturdy bracket; no cables, no batteries. Been running the 'toro' on and off road for over a year now and am very happy with it.

Cheers.

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:27 pm

thanks chef.

will check them out.

krank

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Ay-Up
Not my circus, not my monkeys

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Winter must be coming and the days are getting shorter going by the munber of light threads of late. :roll:
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:59 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27236

Get one from Dx they are updated really powerful and cheap.

MM

cjawnik

Postby cjawnik » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Chef wrote:If your ordering from c r c have a look at exposure lights. Very good build quality. Reliable, weather-proof and bright as you like (up to 1800 lumen). They also clip on and off from a very sturdy bracket; no cables, no batteries. Been running the 'toro' on and off road for over a year now and am very happy with it.

Cheers.
I second this. Been using the Diablo for over a year. Bright, light, and the three power settings give the right amount of flexibility.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 pm

cjawnik wrote:
Chef wrote:If your ordering from c r c have a look at exposure lights. Very good build quality. Reliable, weather-proof and bright as you like (up to 1800 lumen). They also clip on and off from a very sturdy bracket; no cables, no batteries. Been running the 'toro' on and off road for over a year now and am very happy with it.

Cheers.
I second this. Been using the Diablo for over a year. Bright, light, and the three power settings give the right amount of flexibility.
I've been looking into getting lights and out of all options the Exposure Lights are coming out as the best option, although I'm yet to decide.

The earlier post about buying from Deal Extreme as they are cheap has been discussed on other threads and I believe they are cheap for a reason. From what I read they run extremely hot, don't always comply with Aus standards and often stop working after a year or so...I have never owned one so I can only pass on what I have been told but it does raise some questions about the quality and trustworthiness/safety of chargers and the old adage that 'if its too good to be true' etc etc.

Everyone is different and I has different needs but I've looked at many types and the Exposure Lights seem to suit me because they are easily removed, minimal hassle, bright, well made with a good warranty and from what I hear, work very well! Price wise they compare to all the other big names like Ay Up, Dinotte, Nitelights etc
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:34 pm

I don't want to sound like a cracked record, but I can personally recommend Exposure lights as I've been using them for over 4 years now. I've upgraded once, but not due to finding the previous model inadequate. (upgradeitus)

The little Joystick is enough for road use & makes a great helmet light coupled with their larger bar mounted light for MTB use. Their new "6 pack" looks a bit too much light at a claimed 1800 lumens, but I'm tempted even though I find my 720 lumen triple led quite sufficient.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm sure I mentioned something about getting a decent light about 3 months ago ... ;)

cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 am

I've been using the Exposure Lights Strada and very pleased with it. The new model (Strada II) is 600 lumens so not over the top but more than enough to illuminate the road and paths. Dual beam gives you good spread and depth of light. The flashing mode is very good since the light stays on and pulses unlike other lights which flick between on and off. A few people I know have purchases thsi light on my recommendation and they are very happ with it.

Krank

Postby Krank » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 pm

I have the "ITM LITE SHAPE" Handlebars which are thinner (like a wedge shape) at top and then round at bottom of the drops.

Will the Exposure Light mount accommodate this non-circular shape of bar ?

Krank

zero

Postby zero » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:01 am

Krank wrote:I have the "ITM LITE SHAPE" Handlebars which are thinner (like a wedge shape) at top and then round at bottom of the drops.

Will the Exposure Light mount accommodate this non-circular shape of bar ?

Krank
I've got the same bars on my roadie.

If your stem has a normal sized clamping area, there should be enough round bar either side of the stem to mount your lights. I have speedo on one side, light on the other. Its extremely unlikely that it will mount in the middle of the shaped area.

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:40 am

THanks for response.

This is unfortunate, as I like to use that transitional area to round for my hands..

Krank

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:13 pm

CommuRider wrote:Any bets on how many threads, ahem, months it will take for Walrus to get his lights. :P

I have my eye on the winter solstice.
This is about the 5th dig you've had at me about my decision process for buying lights. Not sure Say What your problem is but I wish it would just go away...

On a different note...c r c seems to have Exposure lights at good prices (I'd prefer to buy from an Aussie supplier if its not massively more expensive) but I'd like to know where are people buying theirs from?

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm

I thought we had enough threads about bike lights already so instead of starting another I thought iwould just add my question to this thread. Why are bike lights generally LEDs and measured in Lumens where automotive lights are generally a quartz halogen bulb and measured in watts? it would seem that the bike ones are more high-tech with brands like AYUP putting out very bright lights.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:53 pm

Ross wrote:I thought we had enough threads about bike lights already so instead of starting another I thought iwould just add my question to this thread. Why are bike lights generally LEDs and measured in Lumens where automotive lights are generally a quartz halogen bulb and measured in watts? it would seem that the bike ones are more high-tech with brands like AYUP putting out very bright lights.
Leds produce more light per watt than halogen, its a better sales tool to describe the light instead of the watts.
When bicycle lights were mostly halogen (the set I bought 6 years ago was halogen/nimh batteries), manufacturers usually described them by the watts they dissipated.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 pm

My lights are really bright, never need charging, and show around corners.
Sunlight is the way to go.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Ross wrote:I thought we had enough threads about bike lights already so instead of starting another I thought iwould just add my question to this thread. Why are bike lights generally LEDs and measured in Lumens where automotive lights are generally a quartz halogen bulb and measured in watts? it would seem that the bike ones are more high-tech with brands like AYUP putting out very bright lights.
6V3W halogen

6V3W LED

Same wattage, much greater lumens. Both powered by the same 6V3W dynamo. Technology is a-changing, and rapidly.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:25 pm

The Walrus wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Any bets on how many threads, ahem, months it will take for Walrus to get his lights. :P

This is about the 5th dig you've had at me about my decision process for buying lights. Not sure WT? your problem is but I wish it would just go away...
Let me see...you started a light thread when there were heaps already on the forum. The people here were helpful enough so you got responses to that on your thread. Yet here you are still posting on someone else's light thread stating you still can't decide. No one else is going to decide but you over your light dilemma. How many more posts and responses do you require? c r c has light reviews too. The web has plenty of light reviews.

In short, just buy some freaking lights man. And it would be good if lighting threads can be stemmed. How many lighting threads does this forum need per day?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:38 pm

OK, what I was getting at was why don't cars use LEDs and Lumens? Probably won't get an answer because this is a bicycle forum!

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:39 pm

CommuRider wrote:
The Walrus wrote:

This is about the 5th dig you've had at me about my decision process for buying lights. Not sure WT? your problem is but I wish it would just go away...
Let me see...you started a light thread when there were heaps already on the forum. The people here were helpful enough so you got responses to that on your thread. Yet here you are still posting on someone else's light thread stating you still can't decide. No one else is going to decide but you over your light dilemma. How many more posts and responses do you require? c r c has light reviews too. The web has plenty of light reviews.

In short, just buy some freaking lights man. And it would be good if lighting threads can be stemmed. How many lighting threads does this forum need per day?
I'm not going to argue with you and debate the rights and wrongs. This is a public forum, If you dont like it dont read it...I've said nothing offensive, so back off