moving to Sydney. where to live/train?

QR77

moving to Sydney. where to live/train?

Postby QR77 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi. I might be moving to Sydney and was wondering where are the best areas to live for an active triathlete (easy access to roads for long rides, pool, running track). Basically all what we need to train. My office is near Circular Quay.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: moving to Sydney. where to live/train?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:17 pm

QR77 wrote:Hi. I might be moving to Sydney and was wondering where are the best areas to live for an active triathlete (easy access to roads for long rides, pool, running track). Basically all what we need to train. My office is near Circular Quay.
Depends how far (distance and time) from work you want to live and what days of week and time of day you intend to train.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:22 pm

If you want world class facilities, then Homebush. If you're just doing triathlon for fun then any bog standard Sydney suburb would do that has a 50m council pool/beach, a decent running track and any of Sydney's main arterial roads and her crazy stressed-out drivers.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:48 pm

-East ( bondi-coogeeish )
-North ( Manly->Narabeen )
-South ( Brighton->Cronulla )

Down south is cheaper ..... north has more beaches ..... and east is a bit more cityish / trendy....all these areas are good for tri-athlete lifestyle.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 pm

CommuRider wrote:If you want world class facilities, then Homebush. If you're just doing triathlon for fun then any bog standard Sydney suburb would do that has a 50m council pool/beach, a decent running track and any of Sydney's main arterial roads and her crazy stressed-out drivers.
While the Acquatic Center is a wonderful facility, it gets booked out by training squads and
learn-to-swim schools (you can check lane availability online). If you prefer to do your swim
training on a casual basis, it wouldn't be a great option for you.

Would be worth your while phoning the pools in the areas you can afford to check out what
your best fit is. Somewhere near Sutherland Acquatic center, which is next to good training rides
thru the Royal National Park might be a good starting point.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:17 pm

In the vicinity is also Auburn swimming pool (not sure if it's undergoing renos though) and the Lidcombe velodrome. The other one I can think of is Ryde aquatic centre. Running and swimming aren't going to be a big issue, I think having a safe cycling route would be.

But again, it really depends on how serious the OP is and whether he's just a weekend triathlete. If he wants the Sydney nightlife and having a workplace in CQ, the City and East would be better options for him.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:29 pm

CommuRider wrote:In the vicinity is also Auburn swimming pool (not sure if it's undergoing renos though) and the Lidcombe velodrome. The other one I can think of is Ryde aquatic centre. Running and swimming aren't going to be a big issue, I think having a safe cycling route would be.

But again, it really depends on how serious the OP is and whether he's just a weekend triathlete. If he wants the Sydney nightlife and having a workplace in CQ, the City and East would be better options for him.
Auburn closes for winter, similar for Birrong. Don't know how busy Ryde gets.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

QR77

Postby QR77 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:37 pm

tks all for your inputs. to clarify some points: i train every day. week days shouldnt be a problem. It looks like there are plenty of pools and places to run. My main concern is to get easy access to a road to do my long week end rides (4-5h). ideally, the area where i will be living is max 45-60min away from my office by public transportation.