Acros AG-E brings hydraulic shifting to mountain bikes

Aushiker

Acros AG-E brings hydraulic shifting to mountain bikes

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am

Hi

From Gizmag ...

The system's front and rear shifters each consist of a single push-activated thumb paddle, which shifts the bike to a higher or lower gear depending on whether the user applies thumb pressure at an upward or downward angle. Two sealed hoses run from a cylinder in each shifter to a slave cylinder in the respective AG-E derailleur, carrying mineral oil that activates it to move the chain the desired number of clicks, in the desired direction.

Gear changes of up to three cogs are possible with one push, and the system will work with 8, 9 or 10-speed cassettes.

Acros claims that AG-E has much less friction than traditional mechanical setups, that incorporate steel cables sliding against the inside of housings, and stiffer return springs in the derailleurs. Because the whole thing is sealed and doesn't use cables that stretch over time, adjustments should also be relatively few and far between – as long as air doesn't get into the lines. When it does need attention, as is the case with hydraulic brakes, it will presumably not be particularly user-serviceable.

Andrew

rkelsen

Re: Acros AG-E brings hydraulic shifting to mountain bikes

Postby rkelsen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:
When it does need attention, as is the case with hydraulic brakes, it will presumably not be particularly user-serviceable.
I struggle to get my head around things like this.

What benefit will it provide to the end user? Besides keeping their hands clean by making their bike completely non-user serviceable.

Cables still provide a cheap, light and easy method of mechanical shifting. A hydraulic system will add a ton of complexity, for little benefit that I can see. The derailleurs are still mechanical. At least with electronic systems, you get 'smart' derailleurs.
Aushiker wrote:
Gear changes of up to three cogs are possible with one push
If you push the shifter button while the bike is stationary, will it damage the chain/sprockets? Hydraulic systems are capable of higher forces than cables.

All that aside, I love sexy hardware and this looks interesting from a technical perspective... It'll be interesting to watch how this develops, if it can get a toehold in the market before electronic systems dominate.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Its lighter than XTR. That in itself is justification to some riders.

As far as hydraulics being non user serviceable goes, I disagree. I've removed a piston, cleaned a seal, straightened a rotor slightly and changed the oil and bled my front caliper in one service operation in 25,000kms. In other service operations, I've just need to change pads. Next I'll be replacing the rotors. If the seals on the calipers go, I'll consider sourcing and replacing those too. Would take a pretty advanced piece of bad luck to damage a caliper bore, and if that happens, calipers are cheap anyway.

Given that for efficiency reasons I am stuck with deraileurs, I would like a system that absolutely reliably pushed the deraileurs to the same place each time, and could be perfected on initial setup and then spend 10,000 kms or more in alignment, ie probably only needing to be checked when the cassette or chainrings fell due for renewal. Would be awesome, though I'll wait for the one that is aimed at XT/SLX users, not XTR users.

As far as trail repairs go, already if I break a lever, a cable, or a deraileur, its not getting fixed on trail anyway. At best I'm going to jam a stick in a deraileur to get a reasonable compromise gear.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Sounds great to me.

The major bugbear with shifting on mtb's is wet weather riding. I've dealt with that on my Jekyll by going to a sealed Gore Ride-On cable system that keeps the crap out. My experience over last night's saturated night ride and then at The Oaks Trail this morning reminded me why I need to go to the Gore system on the new Rize. Gah, what a pain it was trying to get the right gear with the cable housings loaded up with garbage from yesterday's two wet rides.

So if it shifts accurately, requires less force on the levers to do the job, and is sealed from friction-inducing contaminants, what's not ot like? Bleeding hydraulic brakes is required infrequently and is not rocket science, so I don't see a problem doing the same with shifters... it's just more of the same and I think - like hydraulic brakes - it's actually much less hassle than cable systems in the end.

I hope this becomes mass market like hydraulic brakes have in the last few years.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 am

The inner tech weenie says: Ooooh shiny! Bring it on.

The part influenced by the GLW says: HOW much?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 am

Mulger bill wrote: The part influenced by the GLW says: HOW much?
$2306 US dollars

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:08 am

That's more than my whole bike is worth!
No signature

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 am

The MTB arms race is getting even more crazy.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 pm

I will jump on these like a fat kid on a cupcake when they become mainstream. No more cable stretch, and gears that don't get out of calibration
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:54 am

I generally find that a good set of cables like Goretex and XTR with my current XT shifters and deraillers have been fit and forget, I only changed my last set of cables as I had to transfer everything over to a new frame and required a full outer housing run. Will fit Goretex extra long cables and housing, cost $60, just a bit cheaper and from previous Goretex experience will last for years without needing to be touched in any way. New XT instant action shifters with new deraillers seem to shift at the speed of thought.
No signature

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 pm