Hub Noise

Cambo

Hub Noise

Postby Cambo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Today my rear hub developed a type of rubbing/grinding noise both when pedalling and not pedalling. It only occurs at about 26km/h and above. The wheel is a Shimano R500 and is only 700kms old. It occurs once on every revolution. Any ideas? Bearings?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:15 pm

Check the spoke tension. Go around and squeeze each pair of spokes - there should be very little give or at least even give all the way round. You may just have a loose spoke and in such a new wheel, it's a good bet that the tension will be all over the shop. A retension will cost you about $20 so it's not big deal.

When that fails, whip the wheel out, clean it all up, squirt some light oil into the hub wherever you can, clean up the excess and see how it goes - there's a good chance you've got some grit into somewhere it shouldn't be. In anycase, a good clean up won't hurt it.

After that ...

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks Richard, much appreciated. I just took the wheel off the bike and in spinning the cassette found that it is definately in there. I'll give it a clean up and see how it goes. In any case it is overdue for its first free service so the shop can have a look at it for me if I can't sort it out.

Thanks again.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:29 pm

New wheels? Sounded like it's a warranty job. I would say there's a problem with the hub bearings.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.