Dirt Works - tyre selection

scotto

Dirt Works - tyre selection

Postby scotto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:18 am

Asking anyone who's done a dirt works (NSW) before (i only got into the 50).
Wwhats a good tyre to run on the terrain there?
i'm assuming my DH minion's wont be the tyre of choice...

trailgumby

Re: Dirt Works - tyre selection

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 am

You could leave that on the front if you want, and run a Larsen 2.0 or a Crossmark on the rear.

Are you running tubed or tubeless?

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:21 am

Tubed, super slick 2 ply. surprisingly they aint that heavy as theyre only 2.0's ( well 2.3 but you know tyre sizing!)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Hmm. 2-ply + tube = Heavy. Good grip, though with that tyre.

If tubeless in an option you may wish to look at the Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph combination I reviewed late last year. A lot of guys use 2 x Racing Ralph and like them. Otherwise Maxxis High Roller or 2.35 Ignitor with the Larsen.

Ignitor si a bit small in the casing, so 2.35 is a good match with 2.0 Larsen. Used to be my previous favourite before the Schwalbe pair I'm currently running. The Schwalbes are lighter than the Maxxis combo, which I like, but that means the Maxxis are less prone to sidewall cuts. Not sure if that's an issue at Dirtworks - maybe ask around at nobmob.com.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:46 am

scotto wrote:Wwhats a good tyre to run on the terrain there?
i'm assuming my DH minion's wont be the tyre of choice...
Minions will be fine, just slow & heavy. Almost half of the DW 50 is flat road (a fair bit of it sealed), the rest is fairly good condition fire road so something light and fast will be best. RR front and rear would be a good choice. As would some combination of Larsen/Crossmark which will be a bit cheaper and a bit more durable (if you dont ho for the eXception series) if you're a rider that is hard on side walls.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm

This one looks interesting

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Ikon.aspx

Give it a go and let us know :P

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Cell had the wire bead crossmarks for $14.95 this week - not sure if they've got any left though.
http://www.this link is broken/Maxxis-Cros ... -Bike-Tyre
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:12 am

now that i have some nice rollin tyres, this week of rain might make me stick the Minions back on for this sunday !!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:14 pm

That would be a smart choice.

Some ride buddies of mine did a 50km reconnaisance ride on GNR last weekend for part of the DW route in that appalling wet weather. The damage bill came to $5k across 3 bikes. :shock:

Tip: Take a couple of spare sets of metallic brake pads with you. A couple of them wore through pads, backing plates and into the pistons. Organics just don;t last in wet conditions. Metallics are much better, but you still won't complete the race on a new set if its wet. :x

Maybe try to minimise brake use if you can.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:22 pm

From: http://www.maxadventure.com.au/100kmcla ... index.html
Despite all the rain the track is in good condition and the event will proceed as planned.

We do not envisage any track changes to be needed even if the current rain continues.

Based on the current track conditions we would suggest a more aggressive tyre grip and a new set of brake pads as there is static water on the course.

However the majority of the course is draining well as it is sandstone or sand based.

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun May 01, 2011 8:16 pm

well that was fun. finished after 2 hours 50 minutes, with about 20min lost to a puncture , and then discovering a big cut in the rear tyre ( which caused the flat) and having to nurse home for 8km another - albeit more slowly - deflating rear tyre...
lots of crashes, mostly at the bottom of long descents, with a few ambulances and helicopter rides home for some. dry but muddy in places.
and the granny ring got more use in that ride than ever before...

oh, and i have a new respect for mtb racing, this was certainly a rung up on toughness than crits/road racing so far..