Half Day Tour of Phuket Countryside on Family Holiday.

TimW

Half Day Tour of Phuket Countryside on Family Holiday.

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 pm

My Family and I just returned from our second trip to Phuket Thailand, this time for 10 days.I decided to try something different, as the bride is into cycling as well, and the young fella tags along so i went with a half day tour of the Phuket Countryside, with a Thai Company called Amazing Bike tours. I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever, but found them through a google search then tripadvisor. Here is a link to their website.
http://www.amazingbiketoursthailand.asia/blog/

I booked the tour from home, and paid a %50 deposit through paypal. On the day of the tour, Loh our guide and his driver arrived spot on time and after introductions were made we headed off on a 45 minute journey to our start point.

On arrival the bikes were removed and set up by our guides, ready for the journey,as a bonus our family were the only tour participants.

One point to remember, the brakes are swapped around to what we are used to so i had to concentrate hard not to fly over the handlebars.

Here we are at the start point ready to head off

We travelled along some bitumen roads, on our Trek mountain bikes, before heading off into rubber tree and pineapple plantations, Not being clipped in as usual, i managed to crack my shin on the pedal after slipping off!!!

We continued on with Loh our guide periodically stopping to impart information and show us various points of interest. Our first stop was at the Gibbon Rehabilitation Centre fo a bite of bananas and sticky rice, and a drink of Bottled water etc.

Here is a link to the Gibbon Rehab Centre, which does a very important job rehabilitating these wonderful animals who are exploited by selfish/cruel people.
http://www.gibbonproject.org/

After an informative presentation at the Gibbon project, we headed off walking into the jungle to a waterfall via a track which was a great site.Our guide Loh took some photos.

Back onto the bikes and a short ride up a steep hill. My chain came off so after putting that on i had to ride downhill to get back uphill, that part of the ride was challenging for my wife and son, but there was no pressure and they took it at their own pace, this was an impressive part of the tour by the guides, they were laid back and catered to our family as a whole.

Then it was off down the hill and onto some scenery then through some villages etc

Back onto the road for a short time,then we headed off road again, for a short time through more plantations etc.

Back onto bitumen for the final time and returned to the bay area, where the tourist vessels depart for the island trips, a final couple of photos on the long wharf,

Then it was back to the bus, more water and snacks, load up the bikes and return to the hotel.

Here is the Garmin link to our ride, not hard by any means, but very hot and humid.This ride could be completed by any person of an average fitness.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81650796

The cost of the ride for the three of us, was approx $120 Australian dollars, which included, Bottled Water,food,bikes,limited insurance,helmets,transportation, and guide etc.

Verdict.

A top day out with the family.If we were to return to Phuket we would certainly consider doing this or an extended trip again we enjoyed it that much. It was nice to try something different, to the normal touristy stuff. This is our second Trip to Phuket, next trip we will venture north to Chang Mai for a little bit of History and culture elements to learn more of the Thai people etc.

I hope you enjoyed this little snipped of our trip. I must say I was not happy when i returned to Sydney at 17 degrees and raining, i am chomping at the bit to get my legs back, but that will happen tomorrow rain hail or shine.

Tim

lovemybike

Re: Half Day Tour of Phuket Countryside on Family Holiday.

Postby lovemybike » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 am

That looks great Tim! Thanks for those pics, you guys looked like you had a great time :) Huge smiles in every picture! I went to Phuket a couple of years ago and really loved it...but only rode an elephant not a bike! I would love to do a bike trip. Not sure about the humidity though :shock: , bet you fell into the pool when you got back...
Last edited by lovemybike on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:09 am

Yeah it was a hot day, and humid, had a scary moment following my son down a hill at 60 k's,being a 13 year old who knows everything he panicked and forgot to use the brakes properly, so Dad was behind him flying and trying to talk calmly to him so he did not stack it, thankfully it worked and, when Mum caught up he copped it from Mum as well lol. :roll: Was nice to do something different on a trip :D

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 am

We've been to Phuket a number of times in the past 5 years and love the place. We've visited a number of Asian countries, and often finished our holiday's with a few days in Phuket.

Thanks for the link. We're planning to head back there next year, and will certainly look at doing the cycling tour.

p.s. I thought you might have included one of the regular Phuket road signs that warn of elephants crossing the road :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:55 am

Sweeper59 wrote:We've been to Phuket a number of times in the past 5 years and love the place. We've visited a number of Asian countries, and often finished our holiday's with a few days in Phuket.

Thanks for the link. We're planning to head back there next year, and will certainly look at doing the cycling tour.

p.s. I thought you might have included one of the regular Phuket road signs that warn of elephants crossing the road :D

Knew i forgot something lol.If i were to go gain and do a tour i would probably do the Island day tour. Next time when we go to Chang Mai there is a bike company there as well that does tours i will have a look at and see what they have to offer.Tim