Training for 1000km 8 day ride

cf73

Training for 1000km 8 day ride

Postby cf73 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi all,
In October I am riding from Phillip Island (VIC) to Wollongong (NSW) over 8 days. The planned ride will have an average of about 120kms per day, with 160kms being the most we travel in one day (two days of 160kms) and the lowest amount is about 80kms. I am interested to hear peoples opinions about training for this.

I have only been riding for 1 year and am 38yrs old with reasonable fitness. Over the last 12months I have ridden 2100kms and 1000 of those have been in the last 4 months. My training partner and I are now averaging about 120-150kms per week and have started throwing some long rides in. For example the last week we did one ride over 90kms and rode another 100kms in other rides totalling 190kms for the week.
I am thinking that we will be maintaining this for a few weeks and then build up gradually to a point where about one month out from the ride we will aim to be doing 350-450kms per week.

The riding has also been mixed from reasonably flat ride to hilly rides.

Would this be about right, is there anything else that we should be going?

Cheers
Carl
How do you like them ******* apples???

BarryTas

Re: Training for 1000km 8 day ride

Postby BarryTas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:26 pm

lots more kms per week. as you said 350-400kms per week. always have a rest day.

ride 150kms every saturday and sunday..........once you have built up to it.

sounds like a great ride, i am very jealous
when do we stop for coffee???

cf73

Postby cf73 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:21 pm

thnaks for the reply, look like we have to up the ante :shock:
we will work towards this over the next few months...

thanks again

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:38 pm

what is your current weekly/daily plan?

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Sounds like fun. What route are you taking? There's a few hills between Phillip Island and the 'Gong, so I would be factoring some hill training into your plans.

cheers

grant

cf73

Postby cf73 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm

BarryTas wrote:what is your current weekly/daily plan?
Currently the weekly plan is to make sure we are covering >100kms per week. Each ride may be different but the attention has not necessarily been on pace rather than getting the kms under the belt. My training partner has referred to Phase1 & 2 training so as not to be training at peak output/heart rate for sustained periods. I am not 100% accross this yet.

We have basically now agreed that once per week or so we need to now incorporate a long ride, eg on Monday we covered 90kms and the plan is to do one again this weekend. In the coming weeks I suppose we will up this to make sure that once per week we are doing at least one ride over 100kms on top of the 2/3 other 30kms rides we are doing each week.

cf73

Postby cf73 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 pm

grantw wrote:Sounds like fun. What route are you taking? There's a few hills between Phillip Island and the 'Gong, so I would be factoring some hill training into your plans.

cheers

grant
Yep, we are mixing it up. I see you are from Wollongong so you will be familiar with these rides - I live in Thirroul so we may do a ride north before work (tomorrow 5.15am) say to Coalcliff and then back to Woonona and back to Thirroul.
We also do a 30km loop into Wollongong and like on Monday was Thirroul - Shellharbour - Thirroul which was 90kms. I incorporate Coalcliff and Bald Hill rides regularly but need to do Bald Hill more.
The rides can be a mix of good hills and flat eg Thirroul - Coalcliff/Bald Hill - W'gong - Thirroul

We have set a couple of targets in our training too - Mt Keira and Bulli Pass.

We are going along the coast, via Sale, Orbost, Eden, Bega, Tathra, Batemans Bay, Jervis Bay, Berry, Wollongong (roughly)

Cheers
Carl

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:20 pm

cf73 wrote:
grantw wrote:Sounds like fun. What route are you taking? There's a few hills between Phillip Island and the 'Gong, so I would be factoring some hill training into your plans.

cheers

grant
Yep, we are mixing it up. I see you are from Wollongong so you will be familiar with these rides - I live in Thirroul so we may do a ride north before work (tomorrow 5.15am) say to Coalcliff and then back to Woonona and back to Thirroul.
We also do a 30km loop into Wollongong and like on Monday was Thirroul - Shellharbour - Thirroul which was 90kms. I incorporate Coalcliff and Bald Hill rides regularly but need to do Bald Hill more.
The rides can be a mix of good hills and flat eg Thirroul - Coalcliff/Bald Hill - W'gong - Thirroul

We have set a couple of targets in our training too - Mt Keira and Bulli Pass.

We are going along the coast, via Sale, Orbost, Eden, Bega, Tathra, Batemans Bay, Jervis Bay, Berry, Wollongong (roughly)

Cheers
Carl
Hi Carl,

Yes I'm pretty familiar with the territory. Be really careful on Bulli Pass, terribly narrow at the top and oh so steep. Mt Keira's a much better bet for training, lower traffic volume and wider road. There's also Macquarie Pass which is longer but not as steep, and there's the reward of a Pie at the top!

If you're riding up to Bald Hill, it makes a good loop to turn left and climb over towards Helensburgh and take the old highway back to Bulli Tops and down the pass. It's also a good ride to keep going through into the Royal, its a really pleasant ride.

The run down to Kiama along the coastal cycleway is also pretty good, with some nasty short pinches as you go through Minamurra and North Kiama to test you. You can also return via Jambaroo over Mt Terry to Albion Park.

The Local Audax guys run a series of Cafe rides of 100km pretty regularly the next one is on May 14th. The rides start at Dapto and all comers are welcome.

cheers

grant

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 pm

keep up the good work

cf73

Postby cf73 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Thnaks for the support guys.

I agree, the Bulli Pass is one that does concern me and if I was to do it, it would be late night or very early morning. At this stage I am a bit daunted by Macquarie Pass. I used to ride it a lot on my motorbike so the length of the climb concerns me as I know I need A LOT more fitness/climbing ability in the legs to get over that baby!!!
One route that I do want to do is Bald Hill then through to Waterfall and back through the NP. when that is done then maybe a full loop up Bald Hill, Sutherland and through the NP..again more fitness needed. We'll get there though. Only this time last year I wasflat out doing a 20km round trip to Scarborough :shock:

Do you have the details of the Audax group? would definately be intereested in that one. I have done one 100km ride to Kiama and back and as I mentioned it is something I want to do more of.

Cheers
Carl

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:03 pm

If you go to http://www.audax.org.au and follow the links to the event calender you will find the rides listed for various areas and various distances. There's about 5 of us in the gong who share the organization of the rides. The appropriate contact details for each ride will be in the calender.

cheers

grant

cf73

Postby cf73 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks Grant, that looks great.
I have saved the page in my favourites. I wish I was a month or so along in my training as I would love to do the 200km ride this weekend. will keen an eye out for the next 200km one but will be in touch re the 14th May.

Thanks again
Carl