Cycling while pregnant

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Becker_11

Cycling while pregnant

Postby Becker_11 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:41 am

I decided to start a new thread so as to stop hijacking the Excuses thread over in the commute section.

The subject was raised regarding cycling while pregnant with the general opinion being that it was a valid excuse not to ride and others going so far as to state that cycling whilst pregnant can cause miscarriage. I then piped up with a story I believed to be attributed to the American Connie Carpenter Phinney that I read in Bicycling magazine back in the 90's. Basically she went into labour and for whatever reason, hubby wasn't home, didn't think to call a cab etc she cycled to the hospital to have her baby.

Well of course someone had to say provide a link or it never happened. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a link I did however find a bike camp that is being run by Connie Carpenter Phinney and her husband Davis Phinney and I sent off an email explaining the situation regarding the forum thread and asked if she would be so kind as to confirm or deny the story.

I was very surprised when a mere 4 1/2 hours later I received a eply from Ms Carpenter Phinney to my enquiry.

I will post both emails below.
My email.
Greetings Ms Connnie Carpenter Phinney,

I was wondering if you'd be able to help me please? There is a discussion going on in a cycling forum I'm a member of claiming that cycling while pregnant causes miscarriage. Now if I remember correctly Bicycling magazine in America ran an article or at least a news item stating that you rode yourself to hospital whilst you were in labor and then preceded to have an argument with the doorman at the hospital as he wouldn't let you bring your bicycle inside. I have tried searching for a link to the story online and haven't been able to find anything. I would really like to be able to prove these people wrong and show them proof that it is in fact possible to cycle whilst pregnant. I have mentioned what I believe to be your story but without a link or possibly a reply to my email they wont believe me.

Would you be so kind as to reply to my email and confirm or deny the story? I'd be very grateful if you could.

Thankyou for you time

--
Regards

Nathaniel
Her response.
Sorry that story is not mine but my good friend and former elite cyclist - Miji Reoch's - bicycling 8 miles to the hospital while in labor -through the streets of Philadelphia. She delivered a healthy baby girl (I'm pretty sure the bike was eventually secured in a safe place).

Honestly, it's impossible to say that cycling causes miscarriages. I have seen many women adjust their cycling positions and ride frequently while pregnant.

Hope that helps - and sorry to disappoint!

connie
She most certainly did not disappoint! Anyway there you have it. Yes it is possible to cycle whilst pregnant although it may take a former elite cyclist to be brave enough or fit enough to ride herself to the delivery room.

I hope that answers everyones questions.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

hannos

Re: Cycling while pregnant

Postby hannos » Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 am

This should possibly be moved to the Cycling Health section.

A very good friend of mine was still riding her MTB while 4 months pregnant (jumps and all). She delivered a healthy baby boy.
2010 BMC SLC01

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:01 am

Good point regarding moving the thread I wasn't sure where to post it so opted for General Discussion
Regards
Nathaniel

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon May 02, 2011 11:08 am

Easy fixed, I reported it to ask the mods what they think ;)
2010 BMC SLC01

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 02, 2011 11:11 am

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 am

Thats a great pic and a great read as well i encourage everyone to click the link in the above post
Regards
Nathaniel

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 02, 2011 11:26 am

Becker_11 wrote:Thats a great pic and a great read as well i encourage everyone to click the link in the above post
You mean I posted something useful... shock horror :shock: :shock: :lol:

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 am

Comedian wrote:
Becker_11 wrote:Thats a great pic and a great read as well i encourage everyone to click the link in the above post
You mean I posted something useful... shock horror :shock: :shock: :lol:
You certainly did!
Regards
Nathaniel

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 02, 2011 11:31 am

As for any health issue, it's important to differentiate a few case events (either positive or negative outcomes) and that of population effect. And in general, it's dangerous to extrapolate one off events as basis for general recommendation.

But bear in mind that pre-historic females had to endure physical challenges during their pregnancy and natural selection can take place during the process. I am not sure anyone can tell a pregnant women these days that she should undergo natural selection during her pregnancy. 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 pm

hannos wrote:This should possibly be moved to the Cycling Health section.
It covers both Women Cycling and Cycling Health issues.

Thanks for the post @Becker. Can her friend provide more info about her experience? ie whether it was a recumbent or road bike? Given the arduous nature of childbirth, having contractions on a bike is one biggie as she rode to the hospital. How did she manage it is I guess what I'm asking as I would think it very brave to ride on a bike when you're having contractions every 5 minutes and the waters breaking etc ! I'm sure there would be a rush of adrenaline and focus to get to the hospital but riding while having contractions gets a big :shock: from me.

Edit: the rider died in 1993

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Mary-Jane-Reoch.html
When Miji retired she went into coaching, and worked with women's teams for over 15 years. Miji took part in writing a book on winter training before her untimely death. Miji was killed in a tragic training ride on White Rock Lake in the Dallas Texas area, while coaching a rider on September 11, 1993. Roach was inducted into the Bicycle Hall of Fame in 1994.
Double edit:

And Team Oestrogen has alot on the topic

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/archive/ ... t-111.html

I'd recommend that people here who have pregnant partners just support them throughout their pregnancy ;-) and if they don't want to ride to hospital during labour, don't force it on them!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Well I've already made one mistake with this story but I'm pretty sure she rode a regular road bicycle. One shouldn't really make assumptions but I'd say there aren't too many former pro / elite level riders who switch to recumbents after they stop racing.
Regards
Nathaniel

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Mon May 02, 2011 1:33 pm

We rode to the pizza shop the other night....about 8 k's return. nice and slow, mum (AT) 30 weeks on her dyno. She can't walk that far/fast at present due to back spasms. All good.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 pm

I can assure you I will never ride whilst pregnant!

Goodbye!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Sex change? Or following in Arnie Schwarzenegger's footsteps?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon May 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Good to hear Womble,

however... MotherOfMany rode until about 4 or 5 months pregnant. Mind you that's a family style slow ride that doesn't break a sweat.

She figured after that, the risks (from other people and the one overcompensating on the tag-along) were starting to outweigh the benefits but did do a few weeks more on an indoor exercise.

Plans are there to be back on within a few months of giving birth too. And new bub will be in the iBert as soon as they can hold their head and helmet up (last one was about 8 months I think)

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Good to hear Womble,

however... MotherOfMany rode until about 4 or 5 months pregnant. Mind you that's a family style slow ride that doesn't break a sweat.

She figured after that, the risks (from other people and the one overcompensating on the tag-along) were starting to outweigh the benefits but did do a few weeks more on an indoor exercise.

Plans are there to be back on within a few months of giving birth too. And new bub will be in the iBert as soon as they can hold their head and helmet up (last one was about 8 months I think)

FoM
Geebus.. you've got another on the way? Haven't you heard of TV? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Comedian wrote:
fatherofmany wrote:Good to hear Womble,

FoM
Geebus.. you've got another on the way? Haven't you heard of TV? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Everyone mentions tv. I've got 5 kids and I worked night shift 6 nights a week for 13 years. Whats tv got to do with it? I wasn't even home lol
Regards
Nathaniel

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Ha ha (that's the correct response to a comedian isn't it?)

The problem is not with the TV, it's with the programming. After all, where else would you get the pinnacle of entertainment awarded with a lurgie?
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish