I just wanna say thanks riding!

marinmomma

Re: I just wanna say thanks riding!

Postby marinmomma » Sun May 01, 2011 6:48 pm

That's an awesome and inspirational story Novice, well done on the transformation!
Lisa

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun May 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Daammn. I am trying to put on weight. No matter how much I eat I cant seem to gain anything.. maybe I should stop riding? Jks.. I don't have a choice in the matter anyway.

I'm ~182cm and about 65kg on a good day. :? My eventual aim is for 75kg, but I think I'll have to do something drastic to reach that.

At the moment I ride 10-15km almost every day, surf at least once a week for 3-4 hours and I have a bad habit of eating lots of healthy fresh foods. I also have had an insanely fast metabolism all my life. I normally eat three large meals a day and snack every hour or so in between.

On topic, I wanna say thanks riding for giving me an excuse to buy new tools and gear!
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 01, 2011 7:07 pm

lovemybike wrote:Well done, you look fantastic. Never give up :D
+1

I can't really put much input about myself, as I just kept on riding after high school and uni, 32 years ago. But my motto for keeping fit is 'Use it or lose it'. I saw lots of mates drop out of cycling at 18, or when they got married - always seemed a crazy sacrifice to me, dropping a potentially life-long sporting hobby (not to mention transport).

Just keep up the riding. Even if you have to make some minor modifications, you can still be cycling at 86 like Keith Dunstan.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun May 01, 2011 8:15 pm

elStado wrote:Daammn. I am trying to put on weight. No matter how much I eat I cant seem to gain anything.. maybe I should stop riding? Jks.. I don't have a choice in the matter anyway.

I'm ~182cm and about 65kg on a good day. :? My eventual aim is for 75kg, but I think I'll have to do something drastic to reach that.
Become a woman and you will put on weight. :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Sun May 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Congratulations Novice, thats a great effort. You should be proud of your success.

I can't say that I have had great results like yours but I can say that after riding for 11 months that, as of this morning, I now have a resting heart rate of 49 and I'm 3 weeks off 60.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Well Done novice... that is super super impressive. Very inspirational! :mrgreen:

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sun May 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Novice - you are a living legend! I have a mate who is where you were a year ago. He needs to take a leaf out of your book. I am sending him your pics/story and hope it motivates him to get serious. He's cycling but I think it's the dinner plate part that he's struggling with. Thanks for showing it can be done. :) :)

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Thats a great effort novice, and an inspiration to a lot a people, your looking so fit you better get another bike :idea: , dont tell the missus :lol:

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Mon May 02, 2011 7:23 pm

inspirational Novice , YOU DA MAN !!!! :D

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Mon May 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Here are some before & after photo's,

Well Done Novice.

I would never have recognised you in normal clothes, only in bike gear with a helmet on!!!! A huge change for you!!! :D

Keep up the good work, you're an inserperation to us all!!!
Felt AR2

novice

Postby novice » Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks everyone for you kind comments and all the help and encouragement this forum has given to me.
Nice pic at Byron. If you come up this way again, PM me, and I'll buy you a latte.
Will take you up on that offer one day Ken and we can test out your new roadie. :D
A great part of the country and had a great time when we were up there.
As you can see from the photo, I had too good a time on the tucker and vino.
I would love to take the bike up there and do some rides between Tweed and Byron.
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Tue May 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Awesome stories, from the first one onwards.

My list would be much the same as many. Done 10000 already since the end of May last year. A good few charity rides, 2 Mutual Community Tours as part of the TDU. Loads of new friends. Dropped 10kgs, TBH I didn't have much excess on me after a duff cholesterol check 4 years ago. I had made some diet changes and started mountain biking once a week to fix that up.

Swore blind I'd not go roadie when some of the MTB crew decided to do the 2009 TDU. September 2009 rolls around and booom, sucked in. Only spending $1100 on a Merida, probably end up in the shed after the TDU, so no point in going mad on carbon like the other guys have.

Really enjoyed the preparation for the TDU, shocking ride on the day though. Massive head wind for that last 30-40ks. Never doing that again etc etc. :roll: Still riding most weekends with LBS crew or the converted MTBers

Misplaced driving license :oops: :shock: Single car accident, no injuries. Magistrate decided I need to do more training in traffic, thanks very much :lol:

Now riding 20-25 a day, bought carbon missile for Christmas, another TDU, Coast to Coast, 500km mega weeks.

Get my license back in less than 4 weeks, not really that bothered about having to use a car again. Will create hassles for me to be honest. Still want to do the riding, so I don't have to sit in the traffic commuting. Be good to have the car at work though. The apprentice has been chauffeuring me around but he never seems to make it in all week. (Boss's son) :wink:

Would leave the car at work but then there'd be times my wife would want me to do some driving after work and that would all fall apart. Really don't think I could handle the drop in km's, that would mean a drop in fitness and I have a 4kg bucket of pure carbs to get through! Just remembered I have a turbo trainer, I could dust that off I guess?

I have also spent a fortune on 'extra's" 4 sets of kit, probably 8 tyres, 15 inner tubes, 3 sets of brake pads, a chain, 2 sets of lights, another helmet, tools, floor pump, 2 Lezyne pumps (lost one at 70 on this years Coast to Coast, mate following me reckoned the Giant was self destructing!), various books and magazines. I just ordered $500 worth of gear from Chainreaction today as well, including a TACX stand. There's only so much maintenance you can do, with the bike leaning on a wall.

Tempted to do some racing but not got the time to dedicate to training properly. I'd hate to turn up and get beaten, at least on the group rides, I can claim to be on a recovery day 8)

That's my story, not as inspirational as some. It does make me look at all the fast food joints very differently though. My kids watch biggest loser religiously and hopefully they'll never be on it.

Ride safe people, treat everyone in a car, like they want to put you in a wooden box.

Gavin

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 pm

novice wrote:Thanks everyone for you kind comments and all the help and encouragement this forum has given to me.
Nice pic at Byron. If you come up this way again, PM me, and I'll buy you a latte.
Will take you up on that offer one day Ken and we can test out your new roadie. :D
A great part of the country and had a great time when we were up there.
As you can see from the photo, I had too good a time on the tucker and vino.
I would love to take the bike up there and do some rides between Tweed and Byron.
Finally got to pick it up today. It's a 2010 Bianchi Mono-Q Veloce, which I got for an alloy price since it's a run-out model. Took it for a quick 15km spin before dark along the Cairns foreshore. Seat is like a brick, but otherwise it's magic. I'll have to get a nappy. I got the 2 bottle hangers. One for water, one for coffee.
Wifelet had to get an Infinito, as there are so few options for women, and I was concerned mine might not be as comfy, but I think it's OK. We will be riding together a lot when I get back from working. It's 50km from home to Byron, perfect for a 100km return ride, and there are so many other great rides around the Tweed area.
You have officially become your parents.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:02 pm

bump!

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:57 am

Wow. Everyone's stories are just...wow. Fantastic work everyone. You should all be so proud.

I don't have an inspirational story to share, but I'm glad that you all shared and I'm too thankful for cycling...it makes my day to day better.
i love my bike(s)

malnar

Postby malnar » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:06 am

Wow. Amazing stories & pictures. Truely inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

I was 92kg at the start of 2010 & wanted to lose 10 kg when I started riding to the train station. In May 2010 I bought a road bike and started commuting all the way (67km per day) 2-3 days a week. In Oct 2010 I got sideswiped by a truck that swerved into the bicycle lane. I was at my goal weight of 82kg when I entered hospital. When I got out of hospital a month later I weighed about 74kg.

I'm now pretty much back to where I started. I weigh about 93kg & have just started riding the old MTB to the train station again (10km per day). I think I'm in slightly better shape than what I was at the start of 2010 as I've been going to the gym a bit & have tiny bit of upper body muscle.

I'm a little jealous of you guys riding 8,000k + per year. I'm sure that's what I'd be doing if I didn't have the set back. Reading your stories makes me think about buying another road bike and getting right into it again. I can't picture myself riding on busy roads though.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Wow - how on earth did I miss this thread??? :roll:

Seriously - each of you who have posted photos - especially Comedian and Tim - you know what - you are seriously HOT! now. :lol: :lol: But don't worry - you're safe! :wink:

I'm not sure i want to say about this. probably 15-20 years ago I was a big fat blob. I thought I was okay. But then I decided to go to uni probably in my late 20s. I had a horse to go to twice a day (not negotiable, rain hail or shine) and got paid by the hours i worked. So i'd drive to my horse, dash off to school or work (depending on what was where), and spent all my day either in class, at a desk or dashing in between. I worked till 9 pm if i had to to pay my rent. So then I'd get out to do the horse late at night and often didn't get home till near 10.30 or 11 pm - night after night after night. So of course I couldn't be bothered faffing around, cooking etc, and just grab crap food and not think about it. I honestly don't think i realised how bloody atrociously fat i got. :oops: :oops:

And as a 30-35 yo i was OBESE with the capital O. I've got some photos around somewhere but really don't want to put them up. I was at uni for 8 years. I didn't mean to get slack, but somehow time rolled into the hour, the class, the work, and i had sweet bugger all time for ME. Maybe it was an excuse - i mean we all only have 24 hours in a day but how we choose them is ours. however, like kids, animals are commitments too. Photos of me in my 20s show me as normal. So do ones in my 40s. Its just the ones in between that are awful.

Anyway, finally i finished school. I was in 3 figures. :oops: :oops: Now i'm only a short arse and looked like the bloody blueberry kid in the Willy Wonka movie.

I had ridden to work pretty regularly in the 80s. Not sure I rode my bike at all in the time i was at uni. So i had time back. I had life back. I didn't have to dash here there and everywhere and got a normal job. I was home by 8 pm most nights. wow. So I decided to dig out my bike. I rode my 80s mixte and started shuffling to work and back. I think somehwere along the line the flab started to go. I rode in runners, cotton shorts and a baggy t-shirt, and a white horse cross country helmet :roll: and everyone passed me. But I stuck at it.

Around the late 1990s I got upgrade itis. I bought my first road bike, shoes, lycra! I looked like a hard boiled egg with 2 rubber bands round it. :D I did various NSW and Victorian Big Rides and did the 2000 one from Brisbane to Sydney. Tried one summer of novice triathlons and hated it. I couldn't swim and couldn't run.

Somewhere along the line I got interested in crits. I competed as a novice woman and we raced against 15 yo kids who flogged us. :lol: But I competed against myself. On the same course, over summer I watched my average speed creep up and up. I found my wings and started to fly. Somewhere along the line I was diagnosed with bugger all iron. I thought I was just too fat, needed to train more, but didn't notice feeling tired and sick. I just thought that they were all better than me and I just needed to work harder. the right pills and 3 months later I was airborne. Even if I got dropped in a bunch, I was racing my own PB on my average speed. As long as it was over 30 I was happy! I know you guys that all race at 40 kmph plus - well, I was happy with being over 30. Sometimes 32, sometimes 33, but whatever. I felt GOOD! It was really tragic to see my bouncing round saying "I got 33!" "I got 33!" Well, if that was my average speed, i was happy. I went in a few masters games and state competitions and took home some jewels. Mind you, i don't think I was very good, but there was just often underwhelming numbers of opposition. Technically I was a state champion but I think that's a total wank to be honest. :lol: :lol: I don't think I was fat any more. Well, i was fitting into size 12 tops and about a 13-14 arse. :roll: I am a pear shape with big !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and will never look tall and elegant. I think i was just a smaller pear. :lol:

Somewhere along the line moved cities, changed lifestyle and about 15 kgs came on again. :oops: 5 years later and I'm back living my life with still a number of competing priorities. I ride to work now. i have trimmed down again and am only about 4-5 kgs higher than I was 10 years ago. Which is still 5 kgs above where I'd like to be. Even now, I would love to be smaller, but I'm riding most days. Overall I have dropped approx 30 kgs and by and large kept it off for 15 years. I sure as !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! am not going back to fat. I would like to be between 5-10 kgs less.... (must go read THAT thread!).

My horse got colic and didn't survive. I didn't want to go near horses again for a long time.

I don't think I'm skinny now. I think i'm just normal. still a pear. Still with big !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and a bigger arse. Just in a smaller package. I just commute to work and back now. I almost think about wanting to get back into racing, but I know I'd need 6 months of solid training before I'd even be prepared to turn up at the track. I love watching cycling events and have taken some bloody good photos of my mates in their races. I honestly think I would get dropped in the first lap. Now that's fine, as I would use the summer to increase my own average speed. And I personally would be happy with that. I just don't want to be laughed out of the ring by all the fast lads though. :oops:

I'm 45 now. They don't have gumby races here. Even the slow grades and vets race at 38 kmph average. And I couldn't do that unless it was downhill all the way. :lol:

I have no idea about my cholesterol, blood, etc but feel healthy. And all I have done is ride. I could have crap cholesterol etc, but I have no idea.

I am THE number 1 person to offer to accompany ANYONE to ride to work or try to get started on a bike. i have a number of friends who are still in 3 figures and have lent them my mountain bike and am happy to dribble around with them however fast or slow they go for as often as they want. I can go with friends on a 2 hour ride at 12 kmph. I have been there. I'm not a rocket by any means. Even now I usually only average middish 20's commuting to work on bikepaths with my backpack. etc. But that's okay. I have no fancy gadgets and I'm still on the same bike I got in 1999 and have since bought a mountain bike. I don't spend hardly any money on new gadgets etc.

I have taught 3 nephews to ride (their mum isn't interested in bikes) but I'm spreading my germs with them. I have had them all out on rides, doing jumps, stacking, and coming home bleeding. But I think boys are meant to be like that - even if their mum wasn't impressed. :twisted: I have had one serious accident which was an absolute fluke. Someone went to pass me a drinkbottle. our hands passed like ships in the night and they let go. It was empty, hit the ground, bounced up and straight between my spokes. As the wheel turned and it hit my forks, I got bucked off in a nanosecond and it turns out I broke my leg. A good few months out of action, and operation and I was back on board. Touch wood I have never tangled with a car but there have been many poop my pants moments.

I'd love to have another horse now. I do miss it, and think they are in my blood. Money is also an issue given I don't have $5000 to buy anything even marginally decent. and to be honest, I'm !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! scared that if I got one, I wouldn't have time to do him and ride as I am now and I would get fat again. Even now I work stupid crazy hours depending on if I'm doing days/nights/both.

I still have fat soft squoosh legs (well, on the inside). :oops: The outsides are rock hard. I have a loose flop of skin round my middle and I think that might be there for good.
I was riding to work today and was flogging along between 35-40 kmph on the only bit of flat ground on my way. I can put my hammer down when I have to, but as soon as I point up hill I go backwards. Mind you, another 6-7 kgs off and that might change! :D

Either way - I'm just doing what I'm doing. nothing special, nothing brilliant, but I ain't fat any more! :lol: And I reckon I'm pretty healthy. :D
Last edited by cp123 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:23 pm

That is a great story CP123. Super inspirational.

Ultimately we all do this for ourselves - even if our friends and loved ones get some of the benefits. :)

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:46 pm

I've always been secretly impressed by (and jealous of) cyclists...even as a kid in primary school. Ive always looked longingly at everyone's beautiful bikes. I have always enjoyed riding, but unfortunately there have been times when I have gotten lazy and stopped. Hopefully now I'm a little older and wiser I can make it apart of my every day from here on.
i love my bike(s)

Mick Donaldson

Postby Mick Donaldson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10 pm

novice wrote:Well I guess its my turn as today is 12 months since I decided to change my life and got on a bike.
I had not been on a bike since I was 15 years old.
I was just about to turn 50 and was grossly over weight at 146.7 kg and very unfit.
I suffered from high blood pressure and chronic sleep apnea.
Everything was a chore and I was uncomfortable being in public.
When I had to travel on aircraft, I would need to ask for a seat belt extender and I could never drink or eat on a plane because I could not fold down the tray because of my size.

So what have I achieved since then you ask?
Purchased a very strong mountain bike.
Got laughed at or being a fat old guy in lycra when I first started. (Who's laughing now huh?)
I have riden 10554 klm in 12 months.
I have lost 38.1 kilos.
Gone from size 5XL to XL.
Riden in rain, sleet, frosty -5 degree temperatures, pee soup fog and total darkness.
Met some really great local people who encouraged me to keep going until I could get on a road bike and join their group rides.
Purchased a very expensive Carbon Road Bike :D (belated mid life crisis)
Now have normal blood pressure and my doctor has taken me off all medications.
Did 711 klm in 12 days.
Made a huge donation of over sized clothes to St Vinnies.
Joind a bike users group.
Shaved my legs (don't laugh).
Learned that you can enjoy nice food as long as it fits inside the blue ring on the small plate my wife got me. If it don't fit, you don't eat it.
Increased our weekly grocery bill. (yes thats correct, fruit, veggies and anything with a red tick or low fat does cost more)
Able to see body parts that I have not seen for while :lol: (kept that as clean as I could)
Riden in a huge group (60 riders) in a charity event.
Drank about 20 litres of latte at the coffee shop.
Thinking about buying a third bike. shhhhh don't tell the missus.
Had two clip stacks, wore out a set of tires, had two punctures, abused twice by motorists and cliped on the elbow by a polititions car.
Spent a small fortune on cycling clothing and upgraditis.
Blew up my PC from over use on cycling forums.
Met heaps of people on the forums that have helped me tremendously.
Inspired two work companions to buy bikes and get fit.
Made my big sister so proud that she cried when she saw my picture in the local paper on a charity ride.
Finaly can go out in public and not feel ashamed of how I look.
I can buy normal clothes off the rack. (you have no idea how good that feels) :)
Have now set up my life change to be a normal daily routine.
Hopefully added 20 years or more to my life.
I can put the tray down when travelling on a plane and the seat belt fits with room to spare.
So here is the result so far ... and I am not finished yet!

Here are some before & after photo's,

Image Image
Image Image
Hi Novice,

Did you cure your sleep apnea?

Mick

osrg

Postby osrg » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:14 pm

To Comedian, TimW, Novice and all the other people who have posted their stories in this thread..... your stories are inspirational irrespective of weight loss, health or whatever other problems that existed to lead you to what i call "the moment".

My moment came in late June this year.... work was ultra stressful, i was not sleeping well, was constantly irritable and quite rude to my beautiful wife and pretty much felt ill every day with stomach pains and headaches, i'd suffered from depression in the early 2000's and even though i'd recovered in the years after to be honest it had crept back into my life at that point. It had been going on for a good 18 months, so my wife unbeknown to me had booked an appointment with a councillor and her GP.... and she had seen enough. Me on the other hand had adopted the attitude of this is how it is for me. So, in the first week of July i went off to the GP and he basically tore me to shreds. I wasn't a big bloke, but i was as heavy as i ever been at 88.7kgs and my cholesterol was ordinary along with my blood pressure. My eating habits were about as bad as you could get. I was eating more takeaway per week than cooked meals, but my intake of Coca Cola was a major issue at 5-6 cans a day everyday...... i just didn't really give a rats arse about anything in life to be honest. The Councillor and GP both said in no uncertain terms that if i didn't make major lifestyle changes, i'd be in serious trouble within 5 years health wise.

To be honest i dunno if i was in shock, but when i got home i threw 36 cans of Coke down the sink and went cold turkey, the first week of that i cannot remember anything of it, and the headaches were just something i cannot describe. I also changed the diet from there basically cutting out all junk food for the next month as well. Did nothing else for the first 6 weeks but that (the mental effort i used trying to avoid the temptation left me exhausted!) and lost 4kgs.

Throughout that 6 weeks i'd been thinking of ways to start some exercise to fit into the changes..... i hate Gym, Jogging is not for me and forget about Personal Trainers. Cycling was really the only option left, and to be honest was my No.1 choice of exercise if i was going to take the plunge. i hadn't ridden a bike of any sort for more than 15 years...... so it was a big decision.

August 26 i picked up my first Road Bike and rode it home from the LBS..... a total of 9.6km and i was puffing big time when i got home. After the first week i'd ridden 67kms and then headed off on a trip to the US with my wife, where to be truthful it gave me time to have a real think of how i wanted to approach my riding, as i was going through the motions mentally about the effort and the pain!

Got back from the trip to the states on the 14th September at 6.05am and was on the bike by 7am, jetlagged. Rode for 12klms but it made me realize i'd actually missed it whilst overseas! That was really the tipping point of my commitment and i went on to ride 313kms for the final 2 weeks of September, which i felt was a massive achievement.

October came and went with 451kms ridden and my health at this point was rapidly improving in all facets. Cholesterol was normal, blood pressure was normal, I'd lost another 4kgs and was down to a tick over 80kgs in the first week of November.

In October i pretty much rode everyday, but in November i actually rode less days but further on those days when i did ride, which has helped keep me mentally stimulated as i ride alone 90% of the time. I rode 534kms in that month, went on a group ride(30+ riders) with a local cycling club by the owner of the LBS where i purchased the bike, and started riding with a group from the LBS every Sunday, which are roughly 70-80km rides.

Today, i weigh 76.4kgs, look different, feel different and cannot really remember what i actually did with my life before the 26th August.... riding has had an immeasurable effect on my life, both from a physical and mental standpoint, my relationship with and attitude toward my wife is much improved also and for that i am grateful. It's not as stunning a change as some of the other stories on here, but i'm happy to say i'm proud of my efforts.

Looking forward to a big 2012 on the bike!

Steve.

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Top effort Steve,great motivating read, well done, bring on 2012 I say!!!.Tim

Edit CP you made me blush lol :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ,top read as well :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:11 pm

osrg wrote:It's not as stunning a change as some of the other stories on here, but i'm happy to say i'm proud of my efforts.
Losing 12kgs in 3-4 months (over 13% of your bodyweight)! I reckon that sounds like pretty stunning progress mate.

Like I've always said - just keep riding, use it or lose it. All the best for building even more fitness in 2012.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

sli123

Postby sli123 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:10 pm

il padrone wrote:
osrg wrote:It's not as stunning a change as some of the other stories on here, but i'm happy to say i'm proud of my efforts.
Losing 12kgs in 3-4 months (over 13% of your bodyweight)! I reckon that sounds like pretty stunning progress mate.

Like I've always said - just keep riding, use it or lose it. All the best for building even more fitness in 2012.
+1
Great work osrg. Congrats!

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok, here is my story, not really as inspirational as others.

A few years ago I was over the 100kgs and with a kid on the way I wasn’t going to have a heart attack before I was 30. I ate badly, I worked long hours with very little breaks, no breakfast at work a 5, coke and a mars bar at 10, another coke and take away for a working lunch, hoe at about 5-6 for dinner time, which would be 500g+ of meat with veg on the side, and when the only exercise I got was getting out of bed in the morning that was a very bad diet. I told my boss to shove the long hours and cut back from salaried to 38 hours a week (that hurt the bank balance), started eating breakfast, taking sandwiches for lunch and eating a smaller dinner. But I still wasn’t exercising, living 20km out of town on the side of the New England highway was my excuse. But I managed to loose over 25kg.

After my daughter was about 6 months old we got offered a place to live down the Gold Coast. After getting a transfer in my job I found it was going to cost me about $40 a week in fuel and parking. And I only lived 10km from work. After a few get dropped off in the morning and ride my old mountain bike home rides I went looked at a better bike, being very reluctant to spend a lot of money as I honestly didn’t know if I would keep with the riding, and having every sales person tell me I would have my bike stolen with in the week parking it at Southport, I got a Fuji Absolute 4.0, nice little flat bar, I still feel it’s a bit small, but the one they have in stock is the perfect size isn’t it? It was good as being a nervous rider I was sticking a lot to footpaths where I could as I was slow and really didn’t like being near traffic, so the flat bar suited me well. I then proceeded to ride all the time, doing about 100km a week to and from work. After a while I decided on a day off to get up early and just ride, I made it 43km before I felt I couldn’t go on any further and turned around to find somewhere to call my wife for a pick up. Each time I found somewhere I said no the next spot is a bit easier for her to get to, and so on and so on, until I was only about 10 km from home and I went stuff it I’ll just ride it, so I did 86km on my first actual or the fun of it ride. After that I did a couple of 50km rides. Then an old friend from school who was into riding spent a week at the coast and he had his drop bar, a very nice titanium job, and we went for a 50 km ride. At that point I decided I really wanted a new bike.

By this point the Fuji had been in constant use for about 18 months and done a good few thousand km’s, It was still a nice bike, although I was having no end of trouble with the rear wheel going out of true (is that the right term?) I took it to a bike shop just around the corner from work and they said to replace the spokes as It would be cheaper than a new rim, but still it kept buckling, after taking it back the 3rd time to get straightened I was chatting to the service guy there and he mentioned that they had a 2010 Giant Defy 2 just traded in the day before and it was in near perfect nick, well to make a long story short I ended up with a bit of a grumpy wife when I returned home with 2 bikes, my Fuji and the Giant, but it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission.
I don’t ride as much as I would like as I now stay home to take care of my kids (still work 2 days a week) and my wife works shift work and spends a lot of time with her horse, but I normally get out at least once a week for a 50km ride. I’m hoping to up this a bit and set myself a target of joining the 6666km club next year.

Riding has gotten me fitter and more active than I have ever been.

Just after my first daughter was born I was diagnosed with severe depression (anyone who does my job would be), but since I have started riding it has become so much easier to deal with, every time I feel it all getting to much I just get on the bike and ride as far and fast as I can and it helps clear my head and I return home a lot happier.

I’m not really losing much weight anymore but I feel healthier and I am slowly toning up which can only be a good thing.

I love the fact that my girls are growing up in an active house, my eldest (2.5 years) wants to go riding with me on her trike.

The car hardly gets used anymore the Fuji now has the kids trailer hooked up to it and that’s my main mode of transport unless I really need the car.

If only I could convince the other half to start riding to work.

I’m even planning on taking the non suspensioned MTB out to Nerang forestry to give it a go and see how I like that side of it.

I guess I have really been bitten by the riding bug and I am very thankful for it.