Ride the Range Challenge?

notwal

Ride the Range Challenge?

Postby notwal » Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Its on Sunday the 15th.

When it was first scheduled for February I dismissed it as being out of my league but now I'm not so sure.
The daunting thing about it is the cat 2 climb. I have never ridden a cat 2 climb but it sounds like something out of the Alps for pros only.
However this is a "challenge" and they are usually not beyond the capabilities of most fit cyclists.
Just how difficult is it? If you blow up I guess you walk.
judged, insulted, gone

dobby

Re: Ride the Range Challenge?

Postby dobby » Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 am

I only started riding in late November 2010 and had about 2 months off the bike due to the floods here and suffering from mumps, which in an adult male is pretty cruel. I live in Toowoomba.

I did a ride in March from Toowoomba via Heifer Creek and then attempted the Ride the Rangle climb after doing about 115 kms at an average speed of 30kmh with a pretty strong bunch - I cramped badly about 1/3 the way up the Ride the Range "climb" and had to walk because my cramping was really nasty.

I have done a fair few more longer rides since and have just done a 3 day ride of about 350kmh including the climb of Mt Tamborine.

My riding partners said that the Ride the Rangle climb is tougher than Mt Tamborine - and the road up the Range (we climb up Flagtone Creek) is a pretty crap road - for the want of a better word. I am sure with some training the climb is quite doable (especially with a compact and some good fitness). I am going to do some hill work for the next 2 weeks because I am attempting the Ride the Range 100kms - but it is a tough ride and the road is narrow, so when you get down to grinding along some 13% pinches at 9kmh, you don't have a lot of room if the cars sail past.

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Tue May 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Dobby, see you there. I signed up for the long ride as well.

On the issue of the climb it is steep but I have moved from somewhere with no hills to Toowoomba and while I have had a little practice now I climbed up Flagstone on my first attempt. Give it a go, it is a challenge after all and they are raising money for a great cause.

dobby

Postby dobby » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Moree

I am pretty sure we have ridden together on the Bikeline shop rides a couple times - you are Tom aren't you?

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 pm

That's me. Where were you this morning 8) ?

dobby

Postby dobby » Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 pm

recovering from 3 days of the 3T Tour, Toowoomba to Boonah which was 158kms on Saturday, Boonah to Canungra (via Mt Tamborine) on Sunday for 88kms, and Canungra to Tumbulgum on Monday for 91kms.

The legs needed a days rest - will be up for the town loop tomorrow to turn the legs over (weather permitting).

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon May 09, 2011 11:47 am

Any others joining us for the RTR this weekend?

dobby

Postby dobby » Mon May 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Another forum member notwal was joining us Tom - we can form a paceline of 3 if you like 8-)

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon May 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Are you feeling prepared enough dobby? I will be a little aprehensive come Sat night but I plan on taking it a little easier this week so I have the legs to get back up the hill. Lots of carbs on the menu prior to Saturday.

dobby

Postby dobby » Mon May 09, 2011 5:10 pm

I figure the climb is going to be hard, but I did Tamborine a couple weeks ago which is comparable (longer but not as steep) - and that was after a 160km day the day before. What i think is hardest about the Ride the Range is that you have to ride about 93 kms before you get to the climb, so you don't want to cook your legs before you get to the climb. I am figuring a nice 26 or 27kmh for the first 90kms plus (hoping there are some wheels to follow for that too) - then the climb starts - you don't want to spend your pennies before the climb.

I know lots of people have been doing range climbs in preparation - but I haven't seen too many doing 100km + rides - I do the Sunday Bikeline rides whenever I can and they are generally 100kms - and there is only ever about 6 or 8 on the rides (which is a shame).

dobby

Postby dobby » Thu May 12, 2011 4:32 pm

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Thu May 12, 2011 4:37 pm

That got me giggling dobby. Are looking forward to the ride?

Notwal, are you giving this a crack? I personally cannot wait to get a photo op underneath those 'Reg Grundys' :lol: .

dobby

Postby dobby » Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Tom

Im looking forward to it - I did a little ride with a mate this morning, about 35 kms, but the avg temp was 2 degrees @6am
Lets hope it is warmer by the time we get to the climb on Sunday. Make sure to wear something warm for the descent, you will freeze your feet and hands on Sunday morning

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Thu May 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Definitely will have arm warmers and winter gloves on. Will have the summer gloves in the jersey pocket but I have been riding without gloves of late (when it is warm of course). I just got fresh Jagwire brake pads in the mail today and will install them tonight along with bracket for a new Cygolite headlight to go on the bars. I am going to have my wife and kids meet us at the finish and will ensure we get some pics to put in this thread, under the undies is a must!

dobby

Postby dobby » Thu May 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Are you heading out on the Bikeline shop ride on Friday morning? Otherwise make sure we meet up at the ride on Sunday morning

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 pm

No ride tomorrow worst luck. My wife leaves for work (AT) 5.30am in the morning. Might go for a short ride on Saturday just to stretch the legs. Where do you head up to Picnic Pt from? I am near Gold Park off Hume St so I can meet you and ride up there together Sunday morning if you aren't too far away.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun May 15, 2011 9:28 pm

moreegolfer wrote:That got me giggling dobby. Are looking forward to the ride?

Notwal, are you giving this a crack? I personally cannot wait to get a photo op underneath those 'Reg Grundys' :lol: .
Sorry, I missed your post earlier moregolfer. The answer is yes I did :D.
I was the bloke in the plastic grocery bag. I thought the rain coat was overkill and I dont have a gilet so sartorial elegance be damned. Comfort is more important.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, even the climb... well enjoyed finishing it that is.
judged, insulted, gone