Good place for service - Brisbane

funsta13

Good place for service - Brisbane

Postby funsta13 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:31 am

Hey guys,

I bought a 2nd hand bike not too long ago. It is in desperate need of a decent service, and having being the first bike I owned that is worth paying money for it to be serviced I was wondering where is a good place to get this done ? Its going to be a pretty major service (pretty much everything needs attention). It even needs the bottom bracket taken out so the frame can air out since there is moisture in the frame. I also need advice on how to stop / treat this.

Can anyone recommend a place where this can be done well, and also inform me how much this should cost.

Ideally I would pay someone (who has the tools and knowledge) and I help them out, since that way I could learn all about it. So if there is any bike mechanics (hence posting in the shed) here that want to show / help me do a major service, I'd be willing to pay.

Cheers!

waynohh

Re: Good place for service - Brisbane

Postby waynohh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:12 am

I have a flaming distrust of LBSs, I've had 1 service and they didn't even notice the huge crack in the frame I had, and the service was specifically for the frame creaking! It died the next week. In 2 weeks after when I had to replace my frame, I'd learned everything needed to never go back to a LBS.

Also, depending on how often you ride, bicycle maintenance isn't a periodic thing like a car; it's continuous. Also it's much simpler and there's no heavy work involved. I do weekly maintenance on one bike and fortnightly on the other.

If you want to learn more here's some resources:
Youtube
Lifecycle shop maintenance class Sat, September 12, 4:00pm – 4:30pm

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:17 am

I've been pretty happy with the services I've gotten from Cycleogical in West End. The mechanics are very good and the cost is reasonable.

That said, I've also gone the route of buying my own tools and DIY.

PS. Cycleogical also do maintenance courses.
Last edited by Zynster on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Max

Postby Max » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 am

River City Cycles are good. So are Epic. I don't know if they will let you participate in the process; I suspect that's unlikely. Worth asking though. As Waynohh pointed out, LifeCycle conduct bike maintenance classes. It may be that other bike shops do too.

Hope this helps.
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

soc

Postby soc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:01 pm

I remember seeing a story on Brisbane Extra a while ago about a mobile bicycle mechanic in Brisbane that comes to you. May let you get hands on if he's doing it in your front yard?? Not too many LBS's would let you in the back I would think.

Try Google - Google is your friend...

Max

Postby Max » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:13 pm

There's a couple mobile bike mechanics. The son of one of the guys I work with runs one called "The Bike Whisperer". I've never used his services, so don't know if he's any good or not.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

funsta13

Postby funsta13 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:13 am

Cheers, guys those maintenance classes a go - that was exactly what i was looking for! Defiantly keen to learn how to do it myself rather then pay for it to be done!

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:36 am

where in Brisbane are you?
Andrew

JRED196565

Postby JRED196565 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:30 pm

Sheldon Brown!

Cycling Legend. Everything you could ever possibly want to know about any kind of bike and how to do it.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Learnt everything I know from here

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Not Epic

roxy_mtb

Postby roxy_mtb » Tue May 03, 2011 6:25 pm

BIcycle Stu is a mobile bike mechanic in Brisbane who comes to your house or workplace and picks up bike and drops off...cheap price too. www.bicyclestu.net

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue May 03, 2011 6:33 pm

aaron wrote:Not Epic
MMM shhh from me...

+1
Fusion at Newstead and Yellow Jersey. Never heard anything negative from either of those shops and the staff actually give a rats and then some

bprb

Postby bprb » Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 pm

The Womble wrote:
aaron wrote:Not Epic
MMM shhh from me...

+1
Fusion at Newstead and Yellow Jersey. Never heard anything negative from either of those shops and the staff actually give a rats and then some
Yep, a double thumbs up for Yellow Jersey from me. Very good service on all levels.

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Wed May 04, 2011 3:05 pm

My Bike Shop at Mitchelton
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed May 04, 2011 3:32 pm

dfc. wrote:My Bike Shop at Mitchelton
Ooookaaaay then... :?

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 pm

The Womble wrote:
dfc. wrote:My Bike Shop at Mitchelton
Ooookaaaay then... :?
"My Bike Shop" is the name of the shop.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed May 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Ah right. I clicked on the website link and got very confused.
If it's the one I'm thinking of then the guys in there are bloody champions. Best service in town!

Max

Postby Max » Wed May 04, 2011 6:24 pm

I live walking distance from My Bike Shop in Mitchelton. They're good people, and know their stuff for the most part. I did have one bad experience with their workshop staff's technical abilities, though (they fitted brake pads so they were half off the rim). It put me off them for a long time. That said, last year I needed some work done in a super-hurry and they really came to the party. Overall, they're good.

My preferred LBS are Epic Cycles in Baroona Rd, Paddington or River City Cycles in Yeronga. Epic generally have a much larger range of bikes and accessories and cater more to my type of riding. River City are great too, but have a smaller range. Both have done good work on my bikes, and I like the staff.

Max.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Tom Wallace Cycles at Lutwyche have continually exceeded my expectations. :)

Pennyfarthing2010

Postby Pennyfarthing2010 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Mobile bicycle mechanic is the way to go. No fuss they come and pick up and deliver for a major job or they could do it right at your home of office for that minor adjustment. Check out their prices you be surprise . North side try the " The bike Whisperer " South side try the " The bicycle repairman " they both have web sites and experience.

fly spray

Postby fly spray » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 am

Mobile mechanic in brisbane, Back on track mobile bicycle mechanics, Does road, MTB, commuter bikes etc.
Www.backontrackbicycles.com.au

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:51 pm

I used Rod Nichols at the old Riders Cyclery at Morningside years ago, the guys there little Elton & Elliott (Rod's son) were very very good, since they've been gone I've tried various places, from Redcliffe, Strathpine, Michelton, I've not really found anywhere that I'm super confident with.

I've had some dealings recently with the guys at Tom Wallace's, they seem fairly upfront, I recently went looking for a quill adapter Lifecycle was the only place I found that had one on hand (they're pretty rare these days) & did me a fair deal on a stem. I got shafted by during the week from a shop on the inner west area, saw me coming on a set of tyres, I won't be going back there.

I have a MTB that I do need to take somewhere soonish, I'd love to know if anybody knows what or where Rod Nichols went after Riders as I'd go back to him at a drop of a hat.

I basically fumble through most of the stuff I need to do, but would be interested in finding somewhere to take bikes for quality service without them stealing your wallet.

schurms

Postby schurms » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Wal42 wrote:I have a MTB that I do need to take somewhere soonish, I'd love to know if anybody knows what or where Rod Nichols went after Riders as I'd go back to him at a drop of a hat.

For MTB I solely use http://www.fortheriders.com.au/

The owner and all the shop guys race - so they know what they are on about. The new shop is nice too. Have had fox fork services done there no probs.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Max wrote:I live walking distance from My Bike Shop in Mitchelton. They're good people, and know their stuff for the most part. I did have one bad experience with their workshop staff's technical abilities, though (they fitted brake pads so they were half off the rim). It put me off them for a long time. That said, last year I needed some work done in a super-hurry and they really came to the party. Overall, they're good.

My preferred LBS are Epic Cycles in Baroona Rd, Paddington or River City Cycles in Yeronga. Epic generally have a much larger range of bikes and accessories and cater more to my type of riding. River City are great too, but have a smaller range. Both have done good work on my bikes, and I like the staff.

Max.
ah, so now i know where mitchelton is :P

up wardell st and chuck a lefty onto samford road.

nice one, max 8)

anniegray

Postby anniegray » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi All,

If you're on the Westside, check out a new place at 17 Miles Rocks Road called Cycle Skills Australia, they are starting to do maintenance classes on the weekends. They've only just opened, but the mechanic fixed my gear skipping problems in a matter of minutes, he was also nice when I asked stupid questions.

Cheers,

Anniegray