Cyclists say missing links are a spoke in the wheel

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 04, 2011 6:23 am

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-say- ... 1e6u8.html

Kelsey Munro Urban Affairs
May 4, 2011

THE new Roads Minister says central Sydney's cycleways are not working, despite new council figures that show a 60 per cent increase in use during the morning peak over the past year.

But cycling groups, backed by the City of Sydney and inner-west councils, say cycling would increase by a further 300 per cent if crucial missing links in the network were built by the state government, for a fraction of the cost of comparable roads initiatives.

The Roads Minister, Duncan Gay, who says his government wants to encourage cycling as a viable transport option, would not confirm media reports suggesting he would tear up the cycleways.
Advertisement: Story continues below

A spokesman for Mr Gay said: ''There is currently a lot of frustration from both motorists and cyclists out there so I believe we really need to take a commonsense approach in integrating cycle lanes with other modes of transport.''

This would mean "all forms of transport co-exist and operate in harmony with each other".

The spokesman declined to say what this would mean in practice.

At the moment, cyclists entering the city from the north have to lug their bikes up 55 steps to the Harbour Bridge cycleway. Those entering from the west must brave busy roads and steep hills, creating obstacles to use of the CBD cycleways, cycling groups say.

A new proposal being reviewed by the RTA for a cycle path running through the Lilyfield rail cutting from Leichhardt to the Anzac Bridge cycleway, called the City West Cycle Link, has been endorsed by the City of Sydney, Marrickville and Leichhardt councils and cycling groups.

''This is the missing link,'' said David Borella, the president of Bike Sydney. ''It's currently a really hilly, gritty on-road route. We're proposing a flat green corridor that's totally off-road so it's easier and amenable to families and kids. That will be the change in uptake of cycling.''

Costed at $5 million by an engineer contracted by Bike Sydney, the City West Cycle Link would have to be built at the same time as the light rail extension, soon to begin. It would link the Bay Run, the planned GreenWay on the light rail extension and the Cooks River cycle paths to the city, Mr Borella said, at a fraction of the $200 million cost of the Iron Cove bridge duplication.

The three-kilometre Harbour-Link, proposed in 2007 and being investigated by the RTA, would bypass the large staircase up to the Harbour Bridge cycleway and provide an elevated, multi-use pathway for cyclists, pedestrians and wheelchair users that would be separated from traffic from Falcon Street to the bridge.

Russ Webber, the president of the North Shore Bicycle Group, said its research suggested that completing the three-kilometre missing link between Naremburn and the Harbour Bridge would boost bike usage four-fold from the 700 cyclists per hour who cross the bridge into the city during the morning peak.

A spokeswoman for the City acknowledged criticism of the cycleways, saying they are a work in progress.

''Critics who complain about the cycleway network need to realise that we need to build it in stages, and that the stages then need to be linked. It's a bit like building a bridge and getting halfway through and then wondering why no one is using it yet. This is about the future and building a viable network that will become a normal part of city life.''

JV911

Re: Cyclists say missing links are a spoke in the wheel

Postby JV911 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:35 am

Ross wrote:THE new Roads Minister says central Sydney's cycleways are not working, despite new council figures that show a 60 per cent increase in use during the morning peak over the past year.
does anyone still have yesterday's MX? there was an article titled "city gets on its bike en masse" ?
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 am

Russ Webber, the president of the North Shore Bicycle Group, said its research suggested that completing the three-kilometre missing link between Naremburn and the Harbour Bridge would boost bike usage four-fold from the 700 cyclists per hour who cross the bridge into the city during the morning peak.
700 cyclists in that hour is equivalent to approximately:
- 700 cars removed from the congested roads; or
- 12 fully-loaded buses; or
- 7 fully-loaded trams; or
- 1/3 of a fully-loaded 8-carriage train

And if this link is built, it is expected to quadruple this.

I know where my money is going.

The $5 million that it will cost is a pittance compared to the many millions spent on the NW and SW Rail Links that have never been opened!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 am

hartleymartin wrote:The $5 million that it will cost is a pittance compared to the many millions spent on the NW and SW Rail Links that have never been opened!
But promises of rail links get votes, promises of bike paths get flames.

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Wed May 04, 2011 12:29 pm

The article was great, but I love the way the used a stock photo of two women in a race to illustrate a point about commuting. They just can't let go of the stereotypes.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 04, 2011 12:42 pm

hartleymartin wrote: 700 cyclists in that hour is equivalent to approximately:
- 1/3 of a fully-loaded 8-carriage train

And if this link is built, it is expected to quadruple this.
And using an accepted formulae for equivalence between various transport modes, 1 1/3 of a lane on a freeway. Everyone should be happy!
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

philip

Postby philip » Wed May 04, 2011 2:14 pm

THE new Roads Minister says central Sydney's cycleways are not working, despite new council figures that show a 60 per cent increase in use during the morning peak over the past year.
I don't understand this, I wish he would clarify on exactly how they are not working, given the figures.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 pm

my money is on the roads minister driving to work :)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 am

23 cyclists in 4min 20sec - 300+ per hour.
Even in the rain they're getting a flogging.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu May 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Couldn't help but notice the half-dozen red-light runners though. And you keep checking out the chicks!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu May 05, 2011 3:38 pm

CommuRider wrote:Couldn't help but notice the half-dozen red-light runners though.
Surprised you could see them through the FEW DOZEN pedestrian red light runners :P

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 pm

seriously that photo is ridiculous, not only is it people in full kit, it looks like a shot from a criterium race or something... this is about irrelevant a picture as you can get if you are looking up pictures of someone on a bike.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:05 am

I actually think that the "missing links" are the ones making the decisions on these paths!!

:o

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

wombatK

Re: Re: Cyclists say missing links are a spoke in the wheel

Postby wombatK » Fri May 06, 2011 10:22 am

Nate wrote: 23 cyclists in 4min 20sec - 300+ per hour.
Even in the rain they're getting a flogging.
Gotta send that to the minister's office mate !
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu May 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Most disappointing is that they named Sydney's Olympic velodrome after this guy...

zero

Postby zero » Thu May 12, 2011 10:57 pm

rogan wrote:Most disappointing is that they named Sydney's Olympic velodrome after this guy...
Not quite :)

I hope he continues personally.
The numbers for the bridge/kent/pyrmont are actually pretty good, and the more he rants, the more he'll draw attention to demands to join up sections.

I rode with the cam running on wednesday night a little after 5pm from rozelle to the bridge, and part way back (35 mins of footage), and if I recall, I counted 220 riders . I was 10th in a queue of cycles and entered the intersection on the orange (because some fool at the RTA decided cycles could have 5 seconds of crossing time :roll: ).

Given I'm only on one spot at any one time, and I wasn't there for the full hour, its not inconcievable that there were 700 commuters on the system. Based on its narrow width and uses of place cars cannot go or cannot hook up into longer journeys properly. it easily justifies its existence.

In the morning south traffic from the bridge cannot even really use kent because of its location relative to the bridge, and there is more capacity on clarence than there is morning bridge capacity to the north anyway.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 am

zero wrote: I rode with the cam running on wednesday night a little after 5pm from rozelle to the bridge, and part way back (35 mins of footage), and if I recall, I counted 220 riders . I was 10th in a queue of cycles and entered the intersection on the orange (because some fool at the RTA decided cycles could have 5 seconds of crossing time :roll: ).
!!!! damn!

when driving into Pyrmont on sunday i was keeping an eye out for cyclists - they were everywhere!
Quite a few families along the Epping Rd path

zero

Postby zero » Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 am

Nate wrote:
zero wrote: I rode with the cam running on wednesday night a little after 5pm from rozelle to the bridge, and part way back (35 mins of footage), and if I recall, I counted 220 riders . I was 10th in a queue of cycles and entered the intersection on the orange (because some fool at the RTA decided cycles could have 5 seconds of crossing time :roll: ).
!!!! damn!

when driving into Pyrmont on sunday i was keeping an eye out for cyclists - they were everywhere!
Quite a few families along the Epping Rd path
About 230 or so again spotted on Friday - probably affected by the abseiling nutter on the bridge. Cold weather is actually great for riding, think that more people are figuring that out. The bicycle traffic is really noticeable when you ride one of the 3 bridges in opposite direction to most of the flow.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 pm

I have been commuting on and off since 1990 & returned to commuting from the inner west every day in February 2011. I have been amazed by the increase in cyclists each time there is an improvement in the network, particularly the Anzac bridge & the latest bike paths.

Similarly creating a sealed route round Iron Cove Bay & separate bike paths for much of it has seen a significant increase in numbers &greater numbers has resulted in better separation of runners & bikes.

In light of the coverage I sent an email to the Minister with a copy to my local member, John Sidoti & Clover Moore. I had a response from a Brigid Kelly from the Lord Mayor's office within a couple of days - not a pro-forma but actually responding to the issues I raised - thanks Brigid.

Still nothing from Minister Gay nor John Sidoti, so I will follow up to see when I can expect a response.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:05 pm

The International Association of Public Transport Australia/New Zealand wrote:Cycle Way Abandoned
The NSW Transport Minister is raising fears that a long-planned cycle path and walkway from the Cooks River to Iron Cove could be the victim of early budget cuts by the new government. The inner west GreenWay was to have been built along the extension of the light rail line from the Lilyfield terminus to a new stop at Dulwich Hill. Media Reports
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Strawburger wrote:
The International Association of Public Transport Australia/New Zealand wrote:...built along the extension of the light rail line from the Lilyfield terminus to a new stop at Dulwich Hill. Media Reports
and look where Mr Strawburger is from!
You're as bad as that St Andrews school Lawyer!

longshanks

Postby longshanks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:13 am

Strawburger wrote:The International Association of Public Transport Australia/New Zealand wrote:
Cycle Way Abandoned
The NSW Transport Minister is raising fears that a long-planned cycle path and walkway from the Cooks River to Iron Cove could be the victim of early budget cuts by the new government. The inner west GreenWay was to have been built along the extension of the light rail line from the Lilyfield terminus to a new stop at Dulwich Hill. Media Reports
This Sunday Aug 28th there is an "I Love the Greenway" cycle starting at 1pm at Wilga St Dulwich Hill. Article appears on the front of this weeks Inner City Weekender. The ride is organised by Artclycle, an artist run cycle initiative afficliated with Bicycle NSW. More information can be found at http://www.artcyclesydney.com

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Bummer! I just saw this.

Anyone go? How was it? Numbers?
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

longshanks

Postby longshanks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:12 pm

I had prior commitment so i couldn't go. Would have liked to since it started literally around the corner from where i live. Driving back home around 4pm i did see a few cyclists out and about in the area including families so hopefully there was a good roll up.

find_bruce

Cyclists ride to support proposed GreenWay

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Interesting that not many people heard about the proposed ride.

Got some coverage though in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Anything you can do, I can do slower