Repco Appreciation Society

khendar

Postby khendar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:58 am

I used to have a Repco mountain bike. I'm checking out a 10 sp Repco road bike this evening to see if its worth doing anything with. Chances of it being something fancy like these ones are pretty slim.

Andrew Grace

Postby Andrew Grace » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 pm

MountGower wrote:Beautiful bike Andrew. Worth the upgrade. If, in the mean time you want to put new brake levers with hidden cables, genuine Shimano levers with hoods are only $21 each from PBK. None in stock it would seem. eBay perhaps. Also consider cleaning up the cable outers and just replacing the inners if you need to because you will have a hard time finding yellow outers.

I'd be grateful if anyone out there knew where to buy coloured cable outers.
Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing with the levers, but that was before I decided to upgrade the running gear. So now I'll just leave it until I up grade the components.

Andrew Grace

Postby Andrew Grace » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Andrew Grace wrote:Hi, this is my Repco Nishiki Tri A.

I brought this bike new about 20years ago and very soon I'm going to modernize her to a 10 speed.
As is 10sp rear cluster ? I presume then you are going to use STI levers ? Or are you going Campag ?

What equipment level and brands are you going to use ? (Wheels, shifters, clusters etc) ?

Will look good.

At the moment its a 6 speed rear cluster (that was a lot 20years ago).
I'm leaning towards Campag gear (Veloce), a couple of mates are using this and their very happy with it. Seems to good value too.
Not sure about wheels yet.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi, I have an 80s (?) Repco Olympic 14, sourced from Ebay for around $30. It had a badly damaged rear tyre on its buckled Araya. Other than the tyre damage, and requiring some cleaning and adjustment, it was a runner. Features Biopace rings, downtube shifters, Exage components, dark blue paint. I have since fitted a flat bar, a magnesium stem and some velocity rims. I will post up when I can.

Andrew Grace

Postby Andrew Grace » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:07 pm

munga wrote:Hi, I have an 80s (?) Repco Olympic 14, sourced from Ebay for around $30. It had a badly damaged rear tyre on its buckled Araya. Other than the tyre damage, and requiring some cleaning and adjustment, it was a runner. Features Biopace rings, downtube shifters, Exage components, dark blue paint. I have since fitted a flat bar, a magnesium stem and some velocity rims. I will post up when I can.

Hi Munga, welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks, Andrew, heres one post closer to the 10-post count! :P

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 am

Ok, Repco-philes. Can you help me with the era of my most recent Repco pick up?

Heavy steel lugged road frame. Rear facing horizontal dropouts. 28.8 seat tube, 26.2 seatpost. Rear brake outer cable guides (x3) under top tube. Clamp-on 'huret' down tube shifters, front derailleur and 'Svelto' model rear derailleur, with clamp-on cable guides (x2). 'Nerva' crankset w/ bolt on 40/50 chainrings.

Purple paint work w/ gold and white pinstriping, gold 'REPCO' on down tube. Logos on head tube and seat tube feature a white bird of prey (eagle?) with wings up/outstretched, perched in a gold ring (red background) with a crown on top and gold scroll beneath. Various white, gold and red background on logo.

Steel drop bars, SR alloy stem, Weinmann 730 s/p brakes, are, I imagine, later upgrades to bike. No wheels.

Any ideas?

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Well with three pages of Repcophile posts, I was starting to think that perhaps there was something to this Repco thing. Imagine my surprise when I came across a two owner machine with it's lovely yellow paint job largely intact.

It's a freewheeling single speeder with one brake, original tyres, in fact original everything & is possibly from the 80's. It's had very little use & has never been crashed or even laid on its side. It's never even spent a night outside.
But it is in the end, a Repco, a re-labeled something else, not a real Aussie bike & I wonder at it's collectability.
Should I accept the offer to buy at a VERY modest price or do I just rationalise & not add just another bike to the group.

Batteries from the camera are on charge, so pictures later.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:21 pm

Don't know which way to go. The frame is a bit on the small side for me, but then, I don't ride a lot & have enough other bikes to ride anyway.
Decisions decisions.

OK, got pictures now.
Here it is mixing it with the peleton.

Posed coyly, waiting for someone to notice her. See my previous post for details.

Sorry fellers, but when I saw this, I just couldn't help myself.
That's where I work, ..... on the other side of the mural by Don Talentyre & you are looking at less than half of the whole thing.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 am

Very cute ... in more ways than one. :wink:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:01 am

Very nice Kid Carbine, but you could have improved it with a Brooks B17.
oldtimer

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for the comments fellers. Hopefully my irreverent treatment of the Repco name brought as least a grin to more than a few faces, or that those who are offended can find it in their hearts to forgive.

The mural was commissioned by the previous owner of the bike shop & is a magnificent piece of work. The current Perth to Sydney record holder, Richard Volebreight worked here after school in the 80's & lived about 50 yards down the road [to the left]. I hear tell he finished about 4th in the Race across America recently too.

I live & work in a great place.

daacha

Postby daacha » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:58 am

Hi KC,

I couldn't help but notice the references to Bundanoon in the mural and assume you live in the area. Quite a few years ago i picked up a painting of a homestead and it is titled Bundanoon. My mum has been trying to track down the location of the homestead. Any chance if i post a pic you could see if it pricks your memory.

Thanks, daacha

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 am

Last edited by MountGower on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 am

daacha wrote:Hi KC,

I couldn't help but notice the references to Bundanoon in the mural and assume you live in the area. Quite a few years ago i picked up a painting of a homestead and it is titled Bundanoon. My mum has been trying to track down the location of the homestead. Any chance if i post a pic you could see if it pricks your memory.

Thanks, daacha
Sorry daacha, I didn't see your post untill now.

I would be most pleased receive a picture of your picture[?] to see if I can identify it.
Better let me know in your e-mail something about it, ... like how old it is as several larger properties have been sub divided into smaller, 100 acre blocks & some have changed names. Any other info that you might have would also be helpfull.

KC
P.S. Just check to be sure that it isn't a picture of the property known as Bundanon [one "o"] which is in the Shoalhaven & I doubt that it is of a property in the Cook-Bundoon ranges [near Goulburn] but still worth a second look.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:59 am

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:27 am

Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi MountGower. I've fitted a front brake since the pic, as locking up and getting sideways isn't really clever considering the price of good tyres. I have only used this thing to go to the corner store. The brakes are exage, the levers are cheapo mtb cantilevers.
I have some gripshifters, levers and barrel adjusters to fit sometime.
Also considering a quick coat of matt black on the frame. Sacrilege?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Grace

Postby Andrew Grace » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi Munga, nice bike.

I'm wondering about the magnesium stem. I'm converting my Tri-A to modern running gear and I hadn't considered changing the stem, until now.

Any info would be appreciated. Of course I'll be using drop bars.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi Andrew, it's a 110mm Deda MAG 61 stem (105g) with an adaptor and shim to enable the frame to accept ahead style stems:
http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/us/ ... -DEDAMAG61

The vibration absorption properties of magnesium had me sold.
Last edited by munga on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Grace

Postby Andrew Grace » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks Munga, at that price I think I'll stick with the original for the moment.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Grace

Postby Andrew Grace » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:28 pm

MountGower wrote:Matching colours on that stem, Andrew. mmmmmmmmmm

Ha Ha, I've spent enough already, I won't be tempted, well not just yet anyway.