Knicks, for look or comfort?

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:40 pm

toolonglegs wrote:much easier to pee while rolling...:lol:
hahaha, i'm not brave enough to try that :)

I'm also a definite convert to bib knicks too......pity they cost so much more :(

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:49 pm

Jeremy wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:much easier to pee while rolling...:lol:
hahaha, i'm not brave enough to try that :)

I'm also a definite convert to bib knicks too......pity they cost so much more :(
May most comfortable knicks cost $240..but they are the best I have had,but I do get pressure point problems so anything to help is worth it.Plusthey usually last 4-6months.(thats up to 150 days use so not such a bad cost per day) :roll:

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:12 pm

just my two cents - but wearing "giant" branded nix (no offence to that company or product) if you have a huge bum might not be the wisest product endorsement.
:)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 pm

winona_rider wrote:just my two cents - but wearing "giant" branded nix (no offence to that company or product) if you have a huge bum might not be the wisest product endorsement.
:lol:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:41 am

winona_rider wrote:just my two cents - but wearing "giant" branded nix (no offence to that company or product) if you have a huge bum might not be the wisest product endorsement.
What about 'Felt' or 'Team Liquigas' (pronounced 'Leaky Gas') emblazoned across your butt? :wink:

Reminds me of the old Benny Hill skit with the female shop assistant (blonde, large breasted, of course) called 'Pat' with her name tag strategically placed on her left (or was it right?) breast (Phwoar!), leading up to the classic sped-up chase scene at the end of each and every show, with that music - da da dadalada da da dadalada.... Baahahaha... what a classic! (not) :oops:

Sorry. What was the topic? Oh yeah, bike knicks.....

Or the skit where the bike seat falls off........ YOIKES! :shock:

peter

Postby peter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:08 am

Looks like bib knicks it is, but they are suprisingly costly. Do they let you to try it on to make sure it fits before you buy?

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 am

Andrew Grace wrote:As said above they don't cut into your waist and they stay in the right place.
I suspect this also has something to do with one's body shape. I have not had this waist problem with all my knicks (including one Aldi brand used primarily for local rides) and have found them perfectly comfortable with good staying power. The only pair that requires the occasional pull is the Assos pair. They have this special waist elastic design to reduce the amount of compression and improve on comfort but it kind of worked in reverse for me.

Anyway, as point out that those bibs are more expensive and I haven't found any individual specific reasons to go across yet.
Last edited by sogood on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:23 am

My basic Netti knicks serve me well on the longer rides I've done, which isn't really long, 40-60km. Don't have any problems with slipping or tightness. Mind you, they're not the best, the chamois slips around a tiny bit sometimes, but they're a sight better than wearing shorts for that distance.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 am

sogood wrote:
Andrew Grace wrote:As said above they don't cut into your waist and they stay in the right place.
I suspect this also has something to do with one's body shape.
Such as mine, I can just picture how it will roll down from my tummy.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:35 pm

I found it hard to justify $250 on a pair of knicks to ride a $450 hybrid. So...back to reality...around $100 or not too much over is probably a more sensible budget in my case.

Btw is the pad supposed to be made of real chamois? The ones I looked at today look and feel like fabric.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:40 pm

peter wrote:Btw is the pad supposed to be made of real chamois? The ones I looked at today look and feel like fabric.
They're all synthetic these days mate.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:00 pm

There was an Oz company selling knicks with a sheep skin fleece 'chamois' in them a few years ago! :shock: Evidently they were quite popular with our trans-Tasman compatriots :wink: Not sure of the name (Skinz?) or if they're still around? I wonder if you'd use lanolin on them?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:07 pm

stryker84 wrote:Mind you, they're not the best, the chamois slips around a tiny bit sometimes
You want to be careful about that sort of thing. I had a pair of Netti Twilight knicks chafe me horribly on the inner thighs because the chamois was moving slightly and the edges of it were rubbing against my skin.

They're generally good knicks and I don't normally get any chafing but this particular pair were a bit past their best and had started to lose some of their elasticity. Couple that with the fact that I fall between sizes in Netti knicks and these were the larger of the two sizes I can wear and they ended up just a bit too loose and suddenly started chafing. I replaced them with a brand new pair in the next size down and straight away no more chafing. It's best to err on the snug side when sizing knicks I think.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Funny. A Brooks saddle costs as much as a medium pair of nicks and you'll never need to wear nicks again :wink:

Well, you won't if you've got a leather rump like me :oops:

Richard

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Bought my first pair of knicks in July. Biemme brand with chamois and set me back about $85. They were great for the first few months (about 1500km) then, as my rides got longer and longer, they started getting uncomfortable. THe chamois seems to have flattened and has lost most of its padding effect. Now I only use them on short or low intensity rides.

My other pair of knicks I bought 2 months ago and have done about 1000km on them. They are Cannibal bib knicks and are about $100. So far they are brilliant, but will see how they wear over the next few months.

I have to say I much prefer the design of the bib knicks. Although a tad inconvenient at times, it's great to ride without getting pressure around the waist or having the top of the knicks roll down.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:38 pm

europa wrote:Funny. A Brooks saddle costs as much as a medium pair of nicks and you'll never need to wear nicks again :wink:

Well, you won't if you've got a leather rump like me :oops:

Richard
Here's an idea: a pair of knicks with a Brooks saddle built in. :D
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Here's another idea! If Brooks saddle are that bleedin' well comfortable, why wear anything at all? :shock: I believe Lady Godiva rode one once.... :wink:

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 pm

kukamunga wrote:Here's another idea! If Brooks saddle are that bleedin' well comfortable, why wear anything at all? :shock: I believe Lady Godiva rode one once.... :wink:
Shhhh. I've tried it but it scared the horses :shock:

Richard

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:20 am

aaaahhh...nothing like "knickng" down to the local super markets in your lycra knicks :twisted: ...they do have there draw backs...

This question is for the "shy" or "curious"; what is the best way to "obscure" the BULGE around the "danger zone" when going RAW or as I call it COMMANDO and can you get brandings like GIANT emblazened across/down it? :?
It's the Vibe, It's the Constitution, It's Mabo...it's all that...

khendar

Postby khendar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:38 am

Not for me I'm afraid. I've taken vows (see signature)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:02 am

dont you just love follow someone with worn out light color knicks in the rain?!... :shock:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 am

I've got two types of knicks, got Netti Twilights and Pearl Izumi's mid level ones.

Netti's were comfortable for me at first, but my legs have changed in size and now they're a bit tight. Pearl Izumi's has more panels, fits better, and copes better with sweat on hot days.

IMO a good saddle is no substitute for knicks if you're working hard on a hot day. They give you two things: they keep you dry and cool, and they have a little bit of padding.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:48 am

toolonglegs wrote:dont you just love follow someone with worn out light color knicks in the rain?!... :shock:
Thank you!

Anybody got a blunt spoon?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Yes bibknicks are more expensive, but I bet after you try them you would find any normal knicks put into the "commuter or short tips only" draw.

I wasn't convinced that bibs were any better until I bought a pair of slightly faulty normal knicks. The lbs let me keep the faulty one's (distributor wouldn't accept the claim) and pay the difference on a pair of bibs. I don't dislike the normal ones I have but they are NEVER the first choice.

:idea: TIP:
If you wear bibknicks and cycling jerseys can I recommend that you only buy full zipper jerseys. I almost had a nasty accident 1 day when I struggled to get my too tight and sweaty 1/4 zip jersey off so that I could get the bib section off. That jersey is only for commuting duties with my normal knicks now :oops:

Isn't it amazing how many ways cycling can put you in embarrassing situations :!:
The older I get, the better I was...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:38 pm

Blybo wrote:...can I recommend that you only buy full zipper jerseys. I almost had a nasty accident 1 day when I struggled to get my too tight and sweaty 1/4 zip jersey off so that I could get the bib section off. That jersey is only for commuting duties with my normal knicks now :oops:
This can be the next clothing subject up for discussion. I too wish there are more full zip jerseys out there.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.