What's the Adelaide May weather like?

ValleyForge

What's the Adelaide May weather like?

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Coming to Adelaide for work first week of May, and will be keen to bring bike from Brisbane for some 50 - 100k rides inland.

What can I expect in terms of weather - temps, rain, et al?
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

liamb

Re: What's the Adelaide May weather like?

Postby liamb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 pm

How long is a bit of string???? :D Generally coolish mid 20's, coming up to winter you may get some light rain and the hills will be 5 degrees cooler and foggy on cool mornings. You do get cracking 25 degree plus days but as you Queenslanders know you can never predict what mother nature will throw up.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks. I thought someone told me as it cools in Adelaide it gets wet. Kinda the reverse of Brisbane.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Adelaide Climatology

Typically stunning cloudless 18 - 22 degree days with a cool breeze, and low humidity.

Brilliant.

Mind you, memory can be hazy as one approaches old age. Bring normal summer riding gear, but also bring some stuff in case it gets cool/drizzly.

Good thing is, if it is raining in the hills, the plains/beach is dry and beautiful. So plenty of choice !!!

See ya in may

Wee Jock

Postby Wee Jock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm

What others have said.

I'll add that Adelaide has a classic Mediterranean climate, i.e. cold wet winters, hot dry summers. Michael B's link really demonstrates this. But this year in particular the weather really seems to be all over the place! Safe to say it'll be cool though, and be prepared for a bit of rain yeah.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Coming to Adelaide for work first week of May, and will be keen to bring bike from Brisbane for some 50 - 100k rides inland.

What can I expect in terms of weather - temps, rain, et al?

I lived there for 5 years...May is usually cold and wet, especially for us Qld'ers.

Although after saying that I have visited Ade in May and it was fine, dry and fairly mild...go figure!

But it's a lovely place to visit and there's lots of good hill climbs!
Lisa

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone. The tubulars are staying at home and the clinchers with Conti 4 seasons will get packed.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 am

Given the seasons so far, it will be hard to tell. Already for the year we have had more than double the nroanml average rainfall, and this is continuing for March (mind you, nothing like Qld or some parts of NSW), but for this week, it's like we have got a good taste of winter with rain and low 20's.

Lucky I got the Cruds in the mail last week ..... :roll:

Time to invest in a better long sleeved rain jacket ....

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Got soaked today on the MTB out near Meadows. Weather tomorrow looks like it'll be dry! :mrgreen:

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 pm

May would be close to the best riding weather of the year.

We do get a few wet days (last weekend) but overall you get a weather pattern that produces the following conditions;

- cold crisp mornings.
- clear days (hence cold mornings) that have plenty of sunshine and generally low to mid 20's.
- Little to no wind, perhaps a 5-10kph easterly in the morning.

Its close to the best time of the year to ride by far, and combine that with the trees in all their autumn goodness throughout the hills and you cant go wrong.

If you get a chance ride on roads like, Woods Hill Rd, Picadilly Road, Devitation Road, Marble Hill or Adelaide to Lobethal (Extention of Norton Summit)

Have a ball.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat May 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Awesome weather today, rode Corkscrew and on to Mt Lofty, clear skies, cool but pleasant and bikes everywhere. Saw more bikes than cars in the hills making the most of it. looking at my Garmin figures min was 8C 6-15 start and through the gorge, max was 20, ave 14.5 doesn't get much better for riding than that.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun May 08, 2011 10:56 am

It was good weather, but a little cold for a Qlder! It's getting pretty light (AT) home by 6ish; not so in Adelaide. Hadn't fully appreciated the difficulties of navigating by Garmin in the dark.

And the polite drivers was well, almost confronting! Strange though there don;t seem to be enough muffler repair shops in SA. Every second car had a loud exhaust.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 09, 2011 9:02 am

ValleyForge wrote:It was good weather, but a little cold for a Qlder! It's getting pretty light (AT) home by 6ish; not so in Adelaide. Hadn't fully appreciated the difficulties of navigating by Garmin in the dark.

And the polite drivers was well, almost confronting! Strange though there don;t seem to be enough muffler repair shops in SA. Every second car had a loud exhaust.

Bogans have got the leave pass for the weekend ....

Enjoy the rides !!!