Buying a new, ready made SS

Krank

Re: Buying a new, ready made SS

Postby Krank » Sun May 08, 2011 1:14 pm

elStado wrote:
G-rig wrote:Fixed is crap if you take a corner too hard, found that out the hard way.
Interesting post in an old thread about single speeds.

But yes pedal clip is the devil of fixed gear. I've come close to a few bingles on mine going around corners too sharp, especially on uneven surfaces or roundabouts.

You just have to learn how to go wide and avoid the pedal clipping. It's better to cruise on a fixed gear than race.

Narrow pedals and shorter crank arms also makes a big difference.
Why is pedal clip the devil of fixed gear?

Krank

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun May 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Krank wrote:
Why is pedal clip the devil of fixed gear?

Krank
Just to be clear, I am referring to pedal clip aka pedal strike. As in your pedal hits the road as you are cornering, which lifts the back tire up and can cause you to lose control.

See the "pedal strike" section of this article for more info: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

Because it is something that can catch you unaware. I ride very carefully on my fixed gear as I am aware of what can happen if I turn to sharp, but I have still experienced pedal clip three times in the past 5 months of riding fixed. Luckily all three times I was going slow and I managed to keep control of the bike. If I was going a bit faster it might have ended in tears, especially as the second time it happened I was going through a roundabout that I have had issues with drivers running through in the past.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Krank

Postby Krank » Sun May 08, 2011 3:33 pm

thanks elstado.

I am wanting clarification on why/how pedal strike was grouped/linked with fixed gear?

Is there something about the fixed gear setup that makes pedal strike more common?

What is the connection?

Krank

nathann

Postby nathann » Sun May 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Krank wrote:I am wanting clarification on why/how pedal strike was grouped/linked with fixed gear?

Is there something about the fixed gear setup that makes pedal strike more common?
With fixed gears, the pedals keep moving even around corners so it's more likely to hit the ground. I think.
Also might have something to do with bottom bracket height but I don't even know so yeah.

Krank

Postby Krank » Sun May 08, 2011 4:46 pm

ok - i get it - sorry - I was ignorant and should have realised :-)

Yes - this is certainly an issue and riding style needs to change to accommodate this.

THanks

BTW - How does the 2011 Fuji Classic Tack rate to the Bianchi Pista for the fixies?

Krank

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun May 08, 2011 5:13 pm

nathann wrote:With fixed gears, the pedals keep moving even around corners so it's more likely to hit the ground. I think.
Also might have something to do with bottom bracket height but I don't even know so yeah.
This. More info in that section of SB's website I linked previously. It's quite dangerous if you're going fast and can't regain control.

I've never heard of BB height being a factor, probably because it is pretty standard and not something you can modify yourself. You can reduce the risk of pedal strike by having narrower pedals (I did this and it helped) and shorter crank arms. This will give you more pedal clearance from the ground. You also have to be aware of the issue while you are riding, especially while you are going around sharp corners.

Krank if you want to ask about different types of fixies may I suggest that you post in the appropriate thread, or create your own. This thread is supposed to be about buying pre-made single speed bikes and so a discussion about better options for a fixie isn't appropriate. We've already gone way off topic with all this discussion on pedal strike.

Krank

Postby Krank » Sun May 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Thansk Elstado -

I'll stop posting in this thread now and use the correct sub-forum.

Regards

Krank

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Tue May 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Can someone please explain to me why it is regarded as naff to buy a single speed bike made by a well known commercial brand (eg Specialized)?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Is it? Must be a 'core ficksy thang :?

Buy what you like, ride it where and how you like.

Them that mind don't matter and them that matter don't mind.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

G-rig

Postby G-rig » Tue May 17, 2011 4:43 pm

SentryBox wrote:Can someone please explain to me why it is regarded as naff to buy a single speed bike made by a well known commercial brand (eg Specialized)?
My guess is that you are probably paying for the name, although the components could be better than if you made it yourself. All depends what it comes with and what you want. The opposite is possible too.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue May 17, 2011 5:51 pm

just saw that goldcross is doing that 50% off thing again.

They have a nice SE fixie, now for less then 350... 8)
http://www.this link is broken/Fuji-festival-2011.aspx
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 am

anyone tried the PAKE TRACK FRAME?

krank

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Fri May 20, 2011 10:29 am

Krank wrote:anyone tried the PAKE TRACK FRAME?

krank
Have you got a link?

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Fri May 20, 2011 10:40 am

G-rig wrote:
SentryBox wrote:Can someone please explain to me why it is regarded as naff to buy a single speed bike made by a well known commercial brand (eg Specialized)?
My guess is that you are probably paying for the name, although the components could be better than if you made it yourself. All depends what it comes with and what you want. The opposite is possible too.
Yeah, I know what you are saying. The thing that got me thinking was a conversation I had with a bunch of riders I work with who have a psuedo club thing going on. The conversation was about single speed/fixies - all of them either had something 'exotic'(ish) 2xColnago, 1xCinelli or one of the local brands 4xMojo, 1xJellybean, 2xBrown Jersey ...NO ONE had a a 'mainstream' brand bike like Trek or whatever. Would have thought the big brands made pretty good bikes (That's why they are mainstream??) but there must be some kind of image thing going on right?

mmhbeer

Postby mmhbeer » Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Just buy or build what you like. Why care what other people think?

I ride a mainstream brand, I couldn't care what people think.

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri May 20, 2011 3:52 pm

SentryBox wrote:2xColnago, 1xCinelli or one of the local brands 4xMojo, 1xJellybean, 2xBrown Jersey ...NO ONE had a a 'mainstream' brand bike like Trek or whatever. Would have thought the big brands made pretty good bikes (That's why they are mainstream??) but there must be some kind of image thing going on right?
Interesting, I'm no expert at all, but I would rate those cheap, paint by numbers fixies from Mojo & Jellybean lower than a "mainstream" brand.

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Fri May 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Fashion.

I reckon that is the answer to my question.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 pm

SentryBox wrote:Fashion.

I reckon that is the answer to my question.
In essence, yes.

I ride an On-One "Il-Pompino". Got the frame and fork, built it from there.
If I was given a Giant or Speczd or Trek frame and fork, i would ha ve been built/treated the same.
But I made sure to colour co-ordinate the components! :mrgreen:

Bramston

Postby Bramston » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

I was looking for a wet day bike and a Monday commuter, ended up with a Potential of Hydrogen bike(prior to being available at industrie).

Unfortunately I didn't listen to my brain when $600 bike complete could be good. Anyways 6months on and the flip flop hub has a mind of it's own! Ie sometimes it actually works as the singlespeed I want then next minute doesn't engage!

Is it a simple fix or new wheels?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Bramston wrote:I was looking for a wet day bike and a Monday commuter, ended up with a Potential of Hydrogen bike(prior to being available at industrie).

Unfortunately I didn't listen to my brain when $600 bike complete could be good. Anyways 6months on and the flip flop hub has a mind of it's own! Ie sometimes it actually works as the singlespeed I want then next minute doesn't engage!

Is it a simple fix or new wheels?
just grab a new freewheel, they should be cheap enough.

i think 'dicta' freewheels are about $10-$15? or splash on a shimano one for about $30.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:11 pm

cray- wrote:
SentryBox wrote:2xColnago, 1xCinelli or one of the local brands 4xMojo, 1xJellybean, 2xBrown Jersey ...NO ONE had a a 'mainstream' brand bike like Trek or whatever. Would have thought the big brands made pretty good bikes (That's why they are mainstream??) but there must be some kind of image thing going on right?
Interesting, I'm no expert at all, but I would rate those cheap, paint by numbers fixies from Mojo & Jellybean lower than a "mainstream" brand.
I saw a girl who had a Jellybean bike on the train yesterday and managed to have a good look. They are really basic and generic, and TBH look quite tacky. Can now see why they sell for so cheap.

Definitely better to DIY your own with solid components.