Training Watt by Watt.

Chappo

Training Watt by Watt.

Postby Chappo » Mon May 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi to all the wattage aficionados.
Is it a good idea to train by incrementally increasing the wattage each training session.
I want to start off at 100w for 1hr a day while keeping my heart rate below 80% of my max increasing by 2watts per day. Is this a feasable way to train or am I better to do 2 x 20min at 200 watts working at 90-95% of max heart rate and increase wattage from there.
Cheers
Paul
Cervelo R3,Scott Sub20
Elite Realpower Trainer

nickobec

Re: Training Watt by Watt.

Postby nickobec » Mon May 09, 2011 2:42 pm

What part of your performance do you want to improve?

Not knowing your starting level of fitness and what you want to achieve, it is hard to make recommendations. But neither of those sessions would challenge me and I am over 50, don't race and use a power meter because I can't train (improve my performance) by heart rate because the medication I am on.

The one recommendation I would make is you get a copy of "Training and Racing with a PowerMeter" by Allan and Coogan. it is a good starting point.

Alternatively get a coach.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Power meter is a scientific instrument and one needs proper knowledge to use it properly. It's not an ad hoc toy that one can do a bit of this or that. If one is not willing to study a book on the subject, then the money spent is wasted.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Chappo wrote:I better to do 2 x 20min at 200 watts working at 90-95% of max heart rate
if you're training with power, heart rate is redundant

depends on what you're training for but for crits for example you're best off doing a MAP test and then training within zones

i cant remember the percentages off the top of my head but each week you want to do 1 easy ride, 1 long ride, 1 5x5 min intervals, 1 x 1 hours steady state and maybe 1 2x20 min intervals. in addition you should ramp up the distances and intensity over say 3 months.

before you do anything check out alex's site and get hold of the book "training and racing with a power meter".

http://www.turbostudio.com.au/faq_perfo ... esting.pdf
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2006/12/ ... ccess.html
http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Chappo

Postby Chappo » Mon May 09, 2011 4:30 pm

My trainer is not a powermeter or ergometer it is a VR trainer, resistence is created using magnetic powder that changes it's viscosity according to the current passing through it. I enjoy the Virtual reality aspect of it, so this "toy" replicates some of the stages of the TDF and the Giro. It can simulate gradients up to 20%. My goal is to actually finish some of the harder ones which is difficult using my standard gearing.
I did not think asking my question is at all out of place in this forum for a non technical person. The software does offer some training options however it's mainly based on heart rate. I have 2 options using simulated power. Power with time or Power with distance.
I thought increasing the wattage slowly over the course of a year will increase my FTP say close to 300w would be achievable in that time period while maintaining the same heart rate.
Cervelo R3,Scott Sub20
Elite Realpower Trainer

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Chappo wrote:I thought increasing the wattage slowly over the course of a year will increase my FTP say close to 300w would be achievable in that time period while maintaining the same heart rate.
That only makes sense (somewhat) if your FTP and fitness has increased in an appropriate amount. And also note that FTP increases aren't linear and may easily plateau or fall if the training regime is not appropriate, or even if it's appropriate. In other words your proposal is based on a lot of assumptions that may not be achieved in real life. If you just want to play with a toy gadget, there's nothing stopping you from doing anything you want. At worse, your legs would scream murder and stop working for you during the session. :mrgreen:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Chappo wrote:Is it a good idea to train by incrementally increasing the wattage each training session.
No.
Chappo wrote:I want to start off at 100w for 1hr a day while keeping my heart rate below 80% of my max increasing by 2watts per day. Is this a feasable way to train
It's feasible until it isn't.

It wouldn't be a particularly effective way to train. It might even result in detraining for a while depending on where your fitness is presently.
Chappo wrote:or am I better to do 2 x 20min at 200 watts working at 90-95% of max heart rate and increase wattage from there.
Yes, although you won't manage 2 x 20-min at 90-95 of max HR.

just find a wattage you can sustain for such efforts and do them once or twice weekly, along with your other riding. If you train enough, consistently, frequently and with progressive overload, then you'll begin to improve and be able to increase the power over time.

Chappo

Postby Chappo » Mon May 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks for all replies.(even Sogood :twisted: ).Alex I've spent the last couple of hours going through your websites. It makes a lot of sense when explained. I'm tempted to contact you at a later date about your training plans. Can they be adapted to my trainer.
http://www.realaxiom.com/file_producto/ ... er_ENG.pdf
Cervelo R3,Scott Sub20
Elite Realpower Trainer

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 am

Chappo wrote:Alex I've spent the last couple of hours going through your websites. It makes a lot of sense when explained.
You have taken the 1st step, getting an understanding of training theory.

The reason I recommended "Training and Racing with a PowerMeter" 2nd edition, was it was the one that explained it to me the right way.
Chappo wrote:Can they be adapted to my trainer.
I would say yes. Because your trainer measures power ( less accurate from the reviews I have seen that a dedicated power meter). However, riding indoors does limit external factors.

I do own a Tacx Fortius VR trainer, but the weather has been too good to ride inside so far this year. Max 15% grade, which is still 5% too much for me and why my trainer bike has a compact chain ring.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 am

Chappo wrote:Thanks for all replies.(even Sogood :twisted: )
Pleasure! :wink:

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 am

Chappo wrote:Can they be adapted to my trainer.
indeed some sessions are actually better on the trainer. it's pretty hard to do 2x20 or even 5x5 intervals on the road. too much stop-start and too many variations on the road (gradient, wind etc etc)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->