Whittlesea challenge - suggested training?

hitch

Whittlesea challenge - suggested training?

Postby hitch » Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 am

I've committed to the Whittlesea challenge (long route), and am thinking I should probably get some rides in over the next few weekends involving hills. this will be my first ride > 100km, and my first ride in a while involving hills. I've ridden to Mordialloc and Chelsea a few times without any issues at a reasonable pace, so hope that completing it won't be too much trouble, but I feel that I should probably try to get a few rides in over the next couple of weekends that involve hills. Riding on beach road doesn't provide much climbing experience.

I live in the city, but would like to put the bike on the car and head out Whittlesea way to do a few rides. I'm wondering if you can suggest good routes/parking/starting points for a bit of a training ride?

patrick57

Re: Whittlesea challenge - suggested training?

Postby patrick57 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:43 pm

If you don't mind driving to Whittlesea there are several rides you can do from whittlesea to flowerdale and back that has good climbs over a long distance. Or Whittlesea to Kinglake and many more depending on time you have. My work have a few people who want to do the ride and we will be doing a ride around Eden park as well.

Over the next few weeks you will find people riding around this area. I don't know any rides over that side that could work.

The hills are tough but last year I did the ride the week before and it took me 6 hours but on the ride I did it in 5. so just getting the distance helps. Also if you can find a short but steep hill you can do intervals up it (ride to the top go down and keep doing it till you feel no more).

I am no expert but take your time and don't go out too fast, pace for the distance and you will do fine.

nyeholt

Postby nyeholt » Tue May 03, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm in for the long route too, and my 'training' consists of my work commute + a couple of laps of yarra boulevard on the weekend. I'm going to try and get out and give Mt Macedon a go on a weekend between now and then too.

Having never done more than 50km or so in a ride before, I'll be happy to be done in under 6 hours :).

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue May 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Ride to KL from the city

munro3

Postby munro3 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Hitch,

Congrats on getting away from the beach and doing some climbs.
Drive up Plenty Road and leave your car in the carpark on the left hand side just after the Western ring road overpass. Ride north toward whittlesea. This road climbs gently to whittlsea. A couple of kays after whittlsea, you will see signs for the golf club. Turn right there and follow the 'Humevale' climb to the top. At the top, you can turn left and go back to the carpark or turn right to go to king lake.

cheers munro
wilier

nyeholt

Postby nyeholt » Sun May 29, 2011 2:12 pm

How did you go in the end Hitch? I found the hardest thing to be the ache across the shoulders and neck in the end, which is more down to spending long periods in the saddle. Ended up doing it in just over 4 hours, or 4:30 including stops. Will definitely give it another shot next year!