Frame id if possible?

347sixtyseven

Frame id if possible?

Postby 347sixtyseven » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Got this frame a few years back from a friend. Possibly late 80s/early 90s vintage.

Was a custom from kenevans or eric hendren or such (those names ring a bell) and he said it was reynolds tubing of some type. It had no stickers when i got it and i have found no identifying mark apart from columbus on the front and rear dropouts.

Originally had a multi-couloured paint job with bright colours fading into white in the middle of the tubes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I had a similar frame a few years back. It was a Hillman frame built with Reynolds 653 and had Columbus dropouts. I talked to Gordon Hill about why he had mixed Reynolds and Columbus on the frame? He said that the dropouts were probably on hand at the time.

I think your frame has Cinelli lugs and frame fittings and I think you've got the date right - late 80's - early 90's.

You mention Kenevans. I talked to Ken back in the late 80's about him building me a frame. At that time he was trying to flog Reynolds 653 as 'the' frame material. I would say that if your frame is a Kenevans chances are its Reynolds 653 or perhaps Reynolds 531. Ken was also qualifies to build with Reynolds 753 - another possibility. I also know that Ken did paint frames with fades.

My recommendation is to go with Kenevans (usually well built frames) and well known in Australia. The other reason I would go with Kenevans is that you can buy replica Kenevans decal sets from Cyclemondo on ebay for about $50. You can also get replica frame tube decals from the same source - I'd go for Reynolds 531 or 653.

By the way, it looks like a well built frame. Is there anything under the bottom bracket? Markings - Cinelli - etc?

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Hmmm, Most Kens that I have seen, (maybe around 10) have all had the the K stamped in the fork crown and/or the top of the seat stays.

any markings on the bottom bracket shell at all?

SP

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi 347sixtyseven,

I found the specification form for the Kenevans 653 frame I was considering getting built. The specifications look very similar to your frame right down to the full set of brazed on fittings (cable guides, pump peg, gear cable guides under the BB, gear cable stop, chain tidy and 2 sets of bottle cage mounts.

The lugs were specified 'Bocama' but i'm confident your lugs, etc. are Cinelli. The fork crown is specified as being a cast crown with no reference to it being engraved. The seat tube is 27.2mm.

Ken goes on to say that 653 is 200gm lighter than 531 and stronger by 120N/mm2.

Recalling the conversation with Ken, I think he told me that he had only just began building frames. I can't recall the exact year but it would have been the later half of the 80's.

Of course this doesn't make your frame a Kenevans but it could be if you feel it needs an identity and you can't find it's actual builder.

347sixtyseven

Postby 347sixtyseven » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:56 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

There doesn't seem to be any markings on the bottom bracket.

I might weigh it when i get a chance and also get some measurements.

Carfax

Postby Carfax » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:22 pm

This looks identical to my Van Werkhoven, although my lugs have windows. If you look for pics on the net you'll find VWs all feature fades (mine's blue to yellow). If so, I suspect its Reynolds 531, probably built in the late 80s in Brisbane.