Before and After Pics by all restorers

leighthebee

Re: BEFORE AND AFTER PICS BY ALL RESTORERS

Postby leighthebee » Thu May 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Autosol.

Its the ducks nuts of polish isn't it? I use it annually on my golf clubs amongst other bits and pieces.....

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 pm

leighthebee wrote:Autosol.

Its the ducks nuts of polish isn't it? I use it annually on my golf clubs amongst other bits and pieces.....
as far as im concerned it is. used it on everything.
steel is the real deal.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Thu May 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Another vote for autosol here. Super stuff.

ben_is_fixed

Postby ben_is_fixed » Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 am

I can finally contribute to this thread...

Before

After

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue May 17, 2011 10:54 am

Sure you didn't get those pics mixed up? :P
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 am

ben_is_fixed wrote:I can finally contribute to this thread...

Before

After
much improved from the kids graffiti paint job, nice choice of colour :) and what was the go with those chicken wing bars??? :shock:
steel is the real deal.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:13 pm

damhooligan wrote:no before picture, because the frame already had some work done by owner...

It took me a looong time to get all the colours on the frame, but the endresult is quite nice.. :

gorgeous work johan. are you still painting? (i though you were doing sales rep work or something now)

BillP

Postby BillP » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:47 pm

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:11 pm

munga wrote:
damhooligan wrote:no before picture, because the frame already had some work done by owner...

It took me a looong time to get all the colours on the frame, but the endresult is quite nice.. :

gorgeous work johan. are you still painting? (i though you were doing sales rep work or something now)

Thanks Munga.

I was, but lost the job...

Now I work a fulltime somewhere else.
And I stil paint the odd bicycle now and then...

How can I not.. :roll:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

singlespeedscott

BEFORE AND AFTER PICS BY ALL RESTORERS

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

BillP wrote:Image
That is Superbe. What make is the frame? It has a early 80s MTB look about it. What size are the wheels on the finished product? 26" or 650b?

BillP

Postby BillP » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

That is Superbe. What make is the frame? It has a early 80s MTB look about it.

Thanks singlespeedscott. It is a 1981 japanese touring bike. It has 650b (26 x1 1/2") wheels which you sometimes on early MTBs along with the cantilevers. 650b was used on 'world touring' and tandem bikes, among other things. I'm pleased to see a resurgence in popularity of this size along with very good tyre availability now. For a while I ran 'bullmoose' bars on this bike as an MTB wannabe. I hope I can be forgiven.

I am unsure of the frame builder, it's beautifully made and I woudl love to know who built it. I don't think it's Toei. I'm leaning toward Alps with fitout by the Tokyo Cycling Centre. (BB ser no= TCC8010). Any ideas or opinions on this are welcome. Bill P

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 pm

BillP wrote:It is a 1981 japanese touring bike. It has 650b (26 x1 1/2") wheels which you sometimes on early MTBs along with the cantilevers. 650b was used on 'world touring' and tandem bikes, among other things. I'm pleased to see a resurgence in popularity of this size along with very good tyre availability now. For a while I ran 'bullmoose' bars on this bike as an MTB wannabe. I hope I can be forgiven.
It looks beaut, Bill. Would love to see some more detail on the various bits and pieces - before and/or after :D

The only frame I've seen similar is a Repco branded type tourer I've picked up. It has the similar box style cantilever bosses, but otherwise a lot more boring lugs. There was one or two loose end parts on it worth saving, the left chainstay has taken a huge impact at some point and besides it's way too small for me. The only reason I'm holding on it is to save the double-eyeletted rear dropouts for another frame. Was going to post a pic of it on the Repco Appreciation thread, but haven't done so as yet.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Ben Is Fixed do you still have the bars that bike came with to start with?

I'd love them

koen

Postby koen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:57 am

Working on an old bike just now but here is a couple of photos I prepared a few years ago. The Madison I found at the local tip when they just gave them to me for a couple of bucks. It is not a great bike but seeemd curious and I took it home becuase it seemed quite complete and was alot of alloy that could be cleaned. It was at the beach and any steel was in bad condition.
The frame was Australian made and I managed to keep the Cyles Australia badge low on the seat tube.
The Adamas gruppo is a real curiosity with so many weird little things the AX era threw up. The spoke nipples are recessed because that create so much drag you know!!
Cheers

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

Before:
After:
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:04 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
BillP wrote:Image
That is Superbe. What make is the frame? It has a early 80s MTB look about it. What size are the wheels on the finished product? 26" or 650b?
Some classic components on there. TA triple crankset is marvellously polished. Where did you get the SunTour Mountech rear derailleur :shock: And the stoppered aluminium bidon... the gum hoods for the non-aero brake levers? I need some of these.

Those Honjo hammered alloy mudguards look great on it too 8) A wonderful classic tourer.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 pm

il padrone wrote:the gum hoods for the non-aero brake levers? I need some of these.
I bought some recently here.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Wow - i have my old kiddie bike (and my brother's and sister's) in my garage at home - close to 40 years old and just a bit of surface rust on the mudguards and sissy bars but in otherwise very good knick

do we have a thread on gumby's guide to doing a DIY restore - or at least to a respray stage? those above bikes look GREAT and i've love to get my brother's chopper going again. that was sooo cool.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:29 pm

cp123 wrote:i've love to get my brother's chopper going again. that was sooo cool.
You may have a cycling gold-mine there. :shock:

http://www.raleigh-chopper.net/

Picture of the month November 2009

This bike is for sale £2750.00
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:43 pm

I could probably take photos of all 3 bikes and ask you all for advice. My banana seat sissy bar bike's seat kind of demolished over time. Could never find a orange one to match - so i bought a blue one. Doesn't look quite so cool. now though. :( stay tuned - maybe this weekend. thanks folks.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Zynster wrote:Before:
After:
zynster, that old color scheme, to me, looked the beez kneez. I would've left it as is but if you get great joy out of how you restored it, then I say good for you!

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 pm

vaeske wrote: zynster, that old color scheme, to me, looked the beez kneez. I would've left it as is but if you get great joy out of how you restored it, then I say good for you!
Once the Fakenago stickers were removed it looked pretty dull. Besides, this is an 80s bike, not some jumped up tweed-set audax rider. I use it for a fast 1km ride to the coffee shop. I then park it out front where it can dazzle passers by with it's green and purpleness.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Zynster wrote:
vaeske wrote: zynster, that old color scheme, to me, looked the beez kneez. I would've left it as is but if you get great joy out of how you restored it, then I say good for you!
Once the Fakenago stickers were removed it looked pretty dull. Besides, this is an 80s bike, not some jumped up tweed-set audax rider. I use it for a fast 1km ride to the coffee shop. I then park it out front where it can dazzle passers by with it's green and purpleness.
ahh, didn't know it was a fake conalgo. noted, I would've done the same then! :)

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Zynster wrote:Once the Fakenago stickers were removed it looked pretty dull. Besides, this is an 80s bike, not some jumped up tweed-set audax rider. I use it for a fast 1km ride to the coffee shop. I then park it out front where it can dazzle passers by with it's green and purpleness.
Mmmmmm green and purpleness, its strange, but I think I kinda like it. Bike needs some custom stickers though, downtube looks naked.

Also, you should totally rock this t-shirt while riding/coffee shop posing:

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:55 pm

cray- wrote:Mmmmmm green and purpleness, its strange, but I think I kinda like it. Bike needs some custom stickers though, downtube looks naked.

Also, you should totally rock this t-shirt while riding/coffee shop posing:
Lol, I have a shirt like that. Except it is light green and purple with a different pattern.

Actually a great riding shirt during the day, gets you noticed without looking like you're on your way to a construction site. :)
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA