Getting the most out of your Garmin

triangle

Re: Getting the most out of your Garmin

Postby triangle » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:27 pm

three214 wrote: Also, using Garmin connect, is there anyway to click on the map to check my "performance" at that point, i.e. speed, heart rate, elevation etc. I know I can do it by clicking on different points in each chart, but is there a way to have all points 'aligned' with a single click on either a chart or on the map?
Thanks
No, I don't think so. You can use the player (top right of the activity screen) to get a bit more of a longitudinal view of your ride but that's about it. I use Connect because I like attractive charts and need a way to send people a link to my ride files but I also use SportsTracks which is *way* more powerful. Other people use TrainingPeaks (online) or WKO+ (offline).

three214

Postby three214 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:30 pm

triangle wrote:
No, I don't think so. You can use the player (top right of the activity screen) to get a bit more of a longitudinal view of your ride but that's about it. [/quote]

Cheers, thats what I was after... as you said it isn't full of info, but covers what I was looking for.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue May 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Garmin Connect is good, but Ive fallen in love with Strava www.strava.com. it has all the same features plus a few more, including watts and also its more competitive and you tend to push yourself to race against others times/sections. You can create, sprint sections, hill climbs, time trial courses etc. Strava will give you your personal records and then KOM's and medals. Its a great way to push yourself against other peoples times.

bura

Postby bura » Tue May 03, 2011 4:54 pm

I am using my Garmin for interval training, and have set up the Training Center etc, and have used the stock Int(miles) workout. It was okay, but not very demanding once I got the hang of it.

I haven't set up my max HR manually so that could be a factor, but zone 4 for 1.6km (a mile) 5 times with a two minute rest in between just wasn't that taxing.

And it's the only interval workout that Garmin have included.

Is there some kind of Garmin workout website where you can just download a bunch of different interval workouts with explanations of what they are meant to do etc? Or do I just have to keep modifying this one or creating new ones?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue May 03, 2011 6:16 pm

You make your own in the TC. Or a coach can email you some suggestions.

I have one that is based on 85% max HR for 10 mins then 5mins starting when I get my HR down to 60%. Then repeat. As I got fitter, the speed has really cranked up, so I've not needed to change the workout.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

bura

Postby bura » Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 pm

ValleyForge wrote:You make your own in the TC. Or a coach can email you some suggestions.

I have one that is based on 85% max HR for 10 mins then 5mins starting when I get my HR down to 60%. Then repeat. As I got fitter, the speed has really cranked up, so I've not needed to change the workout.
Cheers. I think there should be a Garmin library of them in infinite variations as part of suggested training programs.

I guess I can make my own though! Your 85% one sounds good, how many reps of 10 minutes do you do? That's what I'm liking about training with the HRM, you can use the same workout for ages, you are just working progressively harder.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue May 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Three reps is about an hour; that's about my attention span on the trainer :lol: Tried Triple J, DVDs, even work. It's all mindlessly dull.

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Ran my garmin in the back pocket today and it bumped the start/stop button several times.

Won't be doing that again.......or maybe lock would fix?

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Thu May 12, 2011 9:15 am

RobRollin wrote:Garmin Connect is good, but Ive fallen in love with Strava http://www.strava.com. it has all the same features plus a few more, including watts and also its more competitive and you tend to push yourself to race against others times/sections. You can create, sprint sections, hill climbs, time trial courses etc. Strava will give you your personal records and then KOM's and medals. Its a great way to push yourself against other peoples times.

But you can't use a HRM with the iPhone can you? This is a massive advantage with a proper computer!
Cheers,
Kev

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:07 pm

I've just got a 500 from Overseas... Seems very complicated - but I've hardly used it.

I have scrolled through the posts and no one seems to have answer these questions - which I am having trouble with.

1. it keeps on turning off - very annoying ...

2. how do you change the HR values ?

3. do you keep the backlight permantely when it gets dark or does this drain the batt too much ?

Sorry to be a PITA ....

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Fri May 13, 2011 2:29 pm

ajmit3 wrote:I've just got a 500 from Overseas... Seems very complicated - but I've hardly used it.

I have scrolled through the posts and no one seems to have answer these questions - which I am having trouble with.

3. do you keep the backlight permantely when it gets dark or does this drain the batt too much ?

Sorry to be a PITA ....

1. It keeps on turning off mid-cycle??? Thats not good! Where did you buy it from? Not sure what the problem could be there I've only had mine a few months and had no problems like that! There may be an auto power down option in the settings!

2. HR values? As in, how do you change your resting heart rate? This is done in the settings > Training Zones on Garminconnect.com You can change how it displays your heart rate in the page display settings on the device.

3. The light - yeah I keep it on at full brightness for my 40min commute home at night and it's still in the 90's% charge when i'm home!
Cheers,
Kev

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:32 pm

gooldin wrote:
ajmit3 wrote:I've just got a 500 from Overseas... Seems very complicated - but I've hardly used it.

Sorry to be a PITA ....

1. It keeps on turning off mid-cycle??? Thats not good! Where did you buy it from? Not sure what the problem could be there I've only had mine a few months and had no problems like that! There may be an auto power down option in the settings!

2. HR values? As in, how do you change your resting heart rate? This is done in the settings > Training Zones on Garminconnect.com You can change how it displays your heart rate in the page display settings on the device.

3. The light - yeah I keep it on at full brightness for my 40min commute home at night and it's still in the 90's% charge when i'm home!
Ahh - Thanks Gooldin for answering 2 and 3 . In regards to 'turning itself off' A few people have had this problem ... I might try and reset and a upgrade of the firmware.

Seems to be a great little unit otherwise though. I'm still fiddling trying to get the right page set ups etc. So you can make it not record the speed if you go below 5 km/hr - pretty nifty eh .

Also, is the 'lap' thing a seperate feature ? It's kinda cool that you can do multiple laps on the same route..

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Fri May 13, 2011 3:42 pm

The lap feature you can set it to whatever, like you can set it so it beeps and tells you your time over a 1km distance, or 5km distance or whatever other options you have - i think you can set it to start a new lap at a specific GPS location, usefull if you are on an outdoor track doing laps!! So along my route home it beeps every km and I know that the last km took 1m 50s etc.! Then when you upload it will show you the full list of "laps"!
Cheers,
Kev

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Fri May 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Has anybody used the training feature on the Edge 500?

I've just started doing "courses" which are just my trips to and from work! I picked my fastest two (one to work, and one from work) over the last 3 months and sent them to the device.

Wednesday was the first time I used it! I selected "do course" and started cycling home the same way as always. I was on par for the first while then I looked down and I was 700m+ in front, now this seems a bit far off! 700m is a fair distance no? Wouldn't my fitness, or lack of, only vary slightly?

When I stop (at traffic lights etc.) it automatically stops the timer which I have set it to do -
1. Does this stop the "computer" cycling too? Like if im 1km ahead and i stop, will it catch up? I don't think it does, I think it stops also - which is what you would want!
2. After you've left a particular stop (the computer was 1km behind when you stopped) and you've started cycling again, when the computer comes to that stop does it just not stop? Does it keep cycling behind you trying to catch up? The reason I ask is - i looked down and I was 1200m ahead, then instantly kept jumping to (e.g.) 1300, 1500, 1800, 2000m ahead and then slowed down. As if the computer HAD stopped at the traffic lights!

I'm sorry if this post is a bit all over the place, hope it makes sense!
Cheers,
Kev

three214

Postby three214 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:44 pm

gooldin wrote:The lap feature you can set it to whatever, like you can set it so it beeps and tells you your time over a 1km distance, or 5km distance or whatever other options you have - i think you can set it to start a new lap at a specific GPS location, usefull if you are on an outdoor track doing laps!! So along my route home it beeps every km and I know that the last km took 1m 50s etc.! Then when you upload it will show you the full list of "laps"!
Set at 5km intervals is a good reminder for a drink...

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 am

Don't leave the head unit lying around on the computer desk.
Lying around where a 3 year old child might take an interest in it.
Such that this 3year old child might decide to hide it somewhere.
And being three, with the memory span of an insect, forget where he hid it. :roll:

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Mon May 16, 2011 9:27 am

ft_critical wrote:Don't leave the head unit lying around on the computer desk.
And being three, with the memory span of an insect, forget where he hid it. :roll:

OH NOOOO!! :cry:
Cheers,
Kev

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon May 16, 2011 9:31 am

Or have your wife rip out the USB plug loosening the socket and tearing off the socket cover. :evil:

Spare parts anyone?

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 am

ft_critical wrote:Don't leave the head unit lying around on the computer desk.
ValleyForge wrote:Or have your wife rip out the USB plug loosening the socket and tearing off the socket cover. :evil:

Spare parts anyone?
Thank god I don't have kids or a wife....

Thanks guys for all the tips - done the auto stop at 5 km/hr works a treat. Reset it and upgraded the firmware now works like a treat... Finding with the new bike and the auto stop feature my average has shot up even on my commutes - going 27- 28 km/hr avg now going 'slow' :twisted:

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 am

Hey does anyone find their HR is higher with the garmin - my heart rate seems 5-10 beats higher.... ???

Max

Getting the most out of your Garmin

Postby Max » Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm

ajmit3 wrote:Hey does anyone find their HR is higher with the garmin - my heart rate seems 5-10 beats higher.... ???
It's because your body is excited about riding with such a nice cycle computer ;)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue May 17, 2011 6:08 pm

gooldin wrote:
RobRollin wrote:Garmin Connect is good, but Ive fallen in love with Strava http://www.strava.com. it has all the same features plus a few more, including watts and also its more competitive and you tend to push yourself to race against others times/sections. You can create, sprint sections, hill climbs, time trial courses etc. Strava will give you your personal records and then KOM's and medals. Its a great way to push yourself against other peoples times.

But you can't use a HRM with the iPhone can you? This is a massive advantage with a proper computer!
I don't think RobRollin is suggesting using an iPhone (or any other phone for that matter) instead of a Garmin. He is suggesting using Strava instead of Garmin Connect. I'm another fan and highly recommend it. At the moment I only have the free membership which gives me 5 rides per month I can upload so I chose which 5 I want while still uploading all my rides to connect. I'm very tempted to become a paying member and put all my rides on strava instead.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue May 17, 2011 6:17 pm

gooldin wrote: But you can't use a HRM with the iPhone can you? This is a massive advantage with a proper computer!
Oh yes you can. Just need an iBike Dash mount. Works perfectly with any Ant+ sensor including HRM.

http://www.ibikesports.com/ibikedash/idash.html

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue May 17, 2011 6:22 pm

iphone / touch with ANT+, seriously considered this before getting the garmin....glad I didn't go with it.

-Mounting
-Waterproofing
-Managing apps
-Assisted GPS

For a student / casual / commuter who already owns an iphone and lives out of it maybe, Garmin much better for frequent rider/s.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue May 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey Shane, did ya try this code ? vamoscycling2011

5rides a month is no where near enough to get you addicted!

Of course they know what they are doing. There is a better than average chance I will become a paying member after my 3month trial is up.