A cyclist has died after colliding with a car at Unley

Sir Stinkalot

A cyclist has died after colliding with a car at Unley

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Sat May 14, 2011 2:10 pm

A CYCLIST has died in hospital after colliding with a car at Unley, while a man died in a single car crash at Port Lincoln.
Around 10am, the cyclist and the driver of a Holden Astra collided at Malvern. The cyclist was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in a critical condition but died a short time later.
Police are investigating the crash.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6055792300

Drove past this morning. Very sad news. Just out the front on Mitre 10. It has a bike lane here so not sure what happened.

Be safe!

you cannot be sirrus

Re: A cyclist has died after colliding with a car at Unley

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat May 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Second fatality this week, very sad. :(

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Sad to hear. Have updated the fatality thread
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Sir Stinkalot

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Sat May 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks CommuRider,

I thought that there was a dedicated thread but my quick search didn't find anything.

Stinky

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat May 14, 2011 5:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=36155

There were also a couple of deaths this week which is so sad. We had a period where there were no deaths for a month, then bam - several in one week :-(

Stay safe people!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

amt

Postby amt » Sat May 14, 2011 7:46 pm

CommuRider wrote:viewtopic.php?f=53&t=36155

There were also a couple of deaths this week which is so sad. We had a period where there were no deaths for a month, then bam - several in one week :-(

Stay safe people!
Staying safe can be hard to do I was hit by a car on Tuesday morning, I'm lucky I only have a fractured hurmerus. Drivers just can't see cyclists, this I'm convinced of! My condolences to the cyclists family.

matth

Postby matth » Sat May 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Very sad.. I drove past and the bike was still on the footpath... got a "tingle" up the spine looking at it. Condolences to the family.

RIP

bepboy

Postby bepboy » Sun May 15, 2011 8:49 pm

My condolences to the family and loved ones of the Unley rd cyclist.

To amt's point on the visibility of cyclists, I drive and I ride and I have noticed that in recent times that it appears to be getting more difficult to sight cyclists on the road. The only thing I can attribute this too is that with winter coming on there isnt the light that we have been used too during summer. As an observation, there are also a lot more cyclists on the road these days.

amt, hope you heal and get well soon.
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 17, 2011 9:27 am

Another sad news story.

And amt too !!! Heal quick and well.

Ubnley Rd (especially that stretch) is one of the many roads that i don't ride on for that reason - too many cars, not much width, many parked cars and busy.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I was riding there maybe 30 mins before!!

anyone know if the cyclist was hit whilst in the bike lane????

Id be interested to know if there could be charges laid if that was the case?

amt

Postby amt » Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 am

williamsf1 wrote:I was riding there maybe 30 mins before!!

anyone know if the cyclist was hit whilst in the bike lane????

Id be interested to know if there could be charges laid if that was the case?
I heard from a witness account that the cyclist rode out from the side street directly into the trafic and that the car has no warning before impact.

Sir Stinkalot

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Fri May 20, 2011 10:53 pm

amt wrote:I heard from a witness account that the cyclist rode out from the side street directly into the trafic and that the car has no warning before impact.
When I drove past again later in the afternoon after everything was cleared there were spray paint marks on the road (possibly by police) not in the bike lane. They seemed to be slightly further up than the intersection so perhaps he came around the corner from the side street a little quickly and swerved into traffic. Difficult to tell and there was no follow up reports in the paper from what I have seen (although I only read online). From the bike it looks as if he would have been a regular rider so perhaps it was just an unfortunate accident.

Obviously it is not good for the cyclist, the driver or either family involved and if the family involved ever come across this I hope they will see that these issues get discussed for the purpose of education and awareness.

That being said Unley Road is not good. Living just off Unley Road I ride it often. Council need to decide what the purpose of the road is. Depending on the time of the day it can be two lanes with a bike line, one lane with parking and no bike lane, one and a half lanes or a mix of the lot. It seems the bike lane is an afterthought and there are areas where it just disappears just for the sake of it. It is the same as a lot of Adeliades roads as they seem to allow parking on major roads where there is insufficient room which results in 2 lanes of traffic trying to fit into 1 1/2 lanes with bikes and cars constantly having to get around parked cars that are half in a lane and half over the bike path.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat May 21, 2011 7:48 pm

From what I know the cyclist was a very experienced cyclist having raced for many years and done long distance rides such as Melb to Adl. I don't know the circumstances of the accident but if an experienced cyclist can be killed on our roads it should make us all just a little bit more aware every time we get on our bikes.

RIP