Swimming or cycling?

bettybryan

Swimming or cycling?

Postby bettybryan » Wed May 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi,
Summer is coming and it is the time to lose weight every year for me. :-(
In the past years, I prefer to swim. But this year, some friends suggest me to go cycling. It seems cool. But will cycling help with losing weight? What parts of body will it affect, legs?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Swimming or cycling?

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 18, 2011 6:52 pm

G'Day Betty, welcome outside :)

Legs, hips, bum and heart/lungs mainly. Cross train in the pool and you'll work the whole body.

I'm sure one of our esteemed lady members will be able to give you advice from the females perspective.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed May 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Swimming used to be my exercise eg 20 laps of the pool during the lunchbreak.

However, since I have switched to cycling to work, I have not been swimming much and cycling is less of an exercise chore. It was hard motivating to swim during winter time since it seems I would catch whatever infectious disease of the day it is at the pool and would not swim for a couple of weeks after that.

I think cycling is a good winter 'sport' and swimming is a good summer sport. Both are low impact, both can keep you fit. But as I wrote, my lifestyle has changed a bit now and I am exercising even without knowing it. If you ever start commuting on the bike then that will make cycling more relevant and enjoyable but you haven't said much what your exercise regime is so really your choice. As a swimmer and cyclist I can see how both sports work for me, and don't. And if you switch to commuting cyclist, from a female perspective you do get a whole new wardrobe.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

DRAD81

Postby DRAD81 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:53 am

For weight loss, i've found cycling or jogging to be helpful. When I introduced swimming to my routine I found that I bulked up a little with muscle.

bettybryan

Postby bettybryan » Thu May 19, 2011 10:54 am

So many thanks for your replies.
Cycling is new to me. And I am a little attracted.
I saw some topics of cycling in skirts. So cool. Is skirt suitable for cycling?

Lisbon

Postby Lisbon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:59 pm

For slimming it is better to cycle. But why don't you consider to combine both swimming and cycling? It will be the most effective.