chainline for Sugino Kyoto Loco crankset

sambo3

chainline for Sugino Kyoto Loco crankset

Postby sambo3 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi guys, putting together my first fixe. I was given a 110mm sq taper RPM bottom bracket and have set up the Sugino Kyoto Loco cranks on this. the frame has a 68mm bottom bracket english thread.

The frame has 120mm rear spacing and I did the Sheldon Brown measurements and it seems the rear measures a 42mm chainline and the crankset with said BB 45mm as set-up.
Not sure how exact this is as was only done with a ruler and eye alignment.

I have ridden it and all goes well.
My questions are;
1. Will this cause issues down the track, eg premature wear or worse?
2. Having a look at the crankset it seems quite close to the bb shell already, not sure if a shorter bb spindle would work?
Am I missing something here??

BTW it rides great, quite and quick for commuting. I'll put some pics up when finished fully.

cheers
Sambo

mmhbeer

Re: chainline for Sugino Kyoto Loco crankset

Postby mmhbeer » Mon May 23, 2011 7:46 am

If your rear wheel is a flip flop does it measure the same around the other way?

My rear wheel is a fixed/fixed hub and with a freewheel on one side the chainline is 2mm further out from the centre than with a track sprocket.

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 am

In short, it seems that 3mm chainline difference worked for you. If the chain stays on and runs quiet.

I believe drivetrain wears mainly come down to maintenance, riding conditions and the amount of abuse.

Different hubs, freewheel sprockets and track cogs could vary by a few mm. In most cases, it is easier, cheaper, faster to play with BB and chainring stack bolts/spacers to get the perfect chainline than a new hub and rebuilding the rear wheel again.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 pm

I worked out that the chainring could attach to the inside on the spider as opposed to how I purchased it on the outside (had options for both).
I though it may look wierd but I think I prefer the look that way now its setup.
More importantly his gives me 42mm chainline both rear and front, so I am very happy now as I dont think I could have run a short BB with this crankset on this frame.

thanks for the help

cheers
Sambo