Hardest climb in Canberra (city-ish)

Ross

Re: Hardest climb in Canberra (city-ish)

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 am

The first 100m or so of Black Mtn would be one of the steepest. Another good hill not mentioned on the previous list is Archibald St in Lyneham - the top bit from Lambert St turnoff to the end where it takes a sharp left and turns into Dryandra St. For more of a workout keep going along Dryandra St until it flattens out. Kingsford Smith Dr from Ginninderra Dr intersection up to Spence is a good workout, three main roller hills, longer than 50-100m though, probably a couple of km (or just takle one hill at a time if you want the short distance). There are also some good hills in the side streets off to the left of Kingsford Smith Dr at Spence. Copland Dr in Melba from Ginninderra Dr up to Owen Dixon Dr is also a good hill.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Thu May 05, 2011 1:29 pm

I'd vote for Mt Ainslie, but must admit that the only hill I have failed on was first run up Black Mtn. Though if I had known that the steep bit was fairly short, I probably would have pushed through it. For those who haven't tried it - if you want aerobic exercise try Ainslie (road) on a MTB! The granny gear does not make it any easier, just shifts the load from the muscles to the lungs.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon May 23, 2011 7:34 pm

cog_nition wrote:Wow, how to hijack a thread!
"Hardest climb in Canberra (city-ish)?" How many definitions are there for "city" Mate? Then multiply that 10 fold, for a definition of something being 'city-ish'?

I've always felt that simpletons need to be registered and passed fit ... before they are allowed to be web discussants. It is a shame it isn't up to me.

Warren.

PS, There is a Crown Land definition for a city and a definition for people from a region being called a city. Only two of several definitions.

PPS, a new hardest city-ish climb, which started in Canberra and topped-out above the clouds.

I wont say that I pinned it.

If you think that there are only a couple of hard climbs here city-ish ... on'ya'bike sonny.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Warren, beautiful pics and a nice ride by the look of it. But let it go. Re-read this from the previous page to discover the OP's intentions behind this thread. Regardless of your ideas of what 'cityish' means, you cannot get past the fact that, as I started the thread, my definition is the one which is relevant to it.

Out of interest, how do you rig up the trailing wheel cargo carrier? Got any pics without cargo? Also, where is the ride?

Cheers
mrgolf wrote:The thing that really irritates me about where this thread has gone (all due to hijackers and !!! spammer !!! measurers... please excuse my bluntness) is that if any poster had bothered reading the opening post, they would have realised I had asked for a comparison of three specific climbs. It would not take a rocket surgeon to figure out I was referring to road riding as my description of each of the climbs is an apt reflection of what the road is like. As per below and for more detail please go back to page 1.
mrgolf wrote:Just thought I would see what other people think. Of the three 'big' climbs in Canberra - Mt Ainslie, Mt Majura and Black Mt - which do you think is hardest?
I put city-ish in the title so as to include Majura which, compared to Black and Ainslie is not really within the CBD area. It is not far away, but is certainly not as close.

I ride a fair bit and cover some fairly lengthy ground on training rides so for anyone to suggest I am soft for not including Corin and Fitz is a bit silly, and they should refer back to my first point. However if someone wants to make themselves feel bigger and better than other people by making an irrelevant point about something that hasnt even been discussed without knowing anything about the other posters, then so be it.

As for my granny gear comment, I had no idea there was so much animosity between the road and mtb community, but I think getting overly aggressive about it is counter productive to the cycling community on the whole and in this forum. As mentioned, I like both, but predominantly ride road as it suits my lifestyle better. This does not make me less of a man.... although some may argue the point with our overly delicate bikes and pretty lycra.

Fact is, we all enjoy cycling. But no one ends up enjoying keyboard warriors.

Hope I havent trodden on anyones sensitivities, but I am a little irritated by the way this thread has developed.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 am

Mrgolf, now I get your point ... deliberately keeping a thread mediocre allows more Canberra road riders to participate? It is a good strategy. I see you have done your homework and know the demographic.

I was hoping your readership was more expansive and open to change, incase they tire at some stage of only Majura, Ainslie and Black Mountain ... but alas sadly, when in the hands of a control freek, stay where we can keep our eye on you hey?

You tell me you don't want me to participate on your thread, but want to know about my gear and where I go. Is that not being somewhat rich?

You should get around this forum more, you might notice that I'm very city-ish. I like Wagga Wagga's definition of a city more than yours. Wagga with a population of only 50,000 views itself as a city by its boundary and markets itself as NSW's largest city. I guess that when Wagga is city-ish that means half the Riverina and at Gundagai they are terrified of a possible take-over. People generally don't tend to say the Australian Capital Territory when they mention this place, they always say Canberra. So then Canberra by default has a huge boundary ... and a very interesting Border Track.

Facing towards the city. On the other side of this bigg-ish hill and it is greener-ish.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Ah well, being friends of yyeric we know he's a roadie and therefore don't need to go promoting rides suitable for those environmental vandal MTB'ers.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm

twizzle wrote:Ah well, being friends of yyeric we know he's a roadie and therefore don't need to go promoting rides suitable for those environmental vandal MTB'ers.

Unfortunately, when the Canberra Centenary Trail is completed in 2 years time, using $3.3 million of ACT taxpayers hard earned loot, roadies will have to do the ANZAC parade section and bits through civic and wonder where the other $3.299 million got spent.

Get with the programme guys, it isn't too late ... you can put knobbly-ish tyres on road bikes. I did for years.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Tue May 24, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue May 24, 2011 1:32 pm

WarrenH wrote:Get with the programme guys ... you can put knobbly-ish tyres on road bikes. I did for years.
:shock: But... that would be so slow and noisy! How would I sneak up on unsuspecting packs of roadies???!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue May 24, 2011 1:34 pm

WarrenH wrote:Unfortunately, when the Centennial Trail is completed in 2 years time, using $3.3 million of ACT taxpayers hard earned loot, roadies will have to do the ANZAC parade section and bits through civic. I wonder where the other $3.299 million will get spent.
Fark, that's cool - that's almost enough to make me consider buying a MTB!

"Honey, I'm going for a ride, see you in a couple of days".

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue May 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Twizzle sorry Mate. I didn't realize that you had posted and I edited my post.

Not the Bicentennial National Trail, the planet's longest continuously marked multi-purpose trail but Canberra's new Centenary Trail to celebrate Canberra's 100th birthday ... http://www.canberra100.com.au/media_rel ... apital.php
twizzle wrote: :shock: But... that would be so slow and noisy! How would I sneak up on unsuspecting packs of roadies???!
You wont have to. As you valiantly climb your way to the top Twizzle, they'll still be slowed down by carrying their burden ... with what I call, their obsession with 'The Black Line Syndrome'.

With good therapy, any rider can beat that obsession ... I hope my concerned posts are helping. I'm not a trained councilor, but I am someone who has lived through it and licked it.
twizzle wrote:"Honey, I'm going for a ride, see you in a couple of days".
That would be good but if you can average 30 kilometres a day on the main trail for 5530 kilometres, it will take you 5 months to do and if you do the alternate bike routes where you cant do the main trail, increasing the distance by 760 kilometres and average now 50 kilometres a day ... you will gain hero status. Also, you will average 700 metres of climbing per day, even on your rest days. If you do the BNT you will have climbed the equivalent of Mount Everest from sea level 10.6x.

This is why climbing Mounts Majura, Ainslie and Black Mountain on a light-weight road bike, having thin tyres and without cargo (30 kg to even 40kg) isn't anything at all ... try doing the three of them when in expedition mode, every day for 5 months.

Warren.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Bud, seriously, lighten up. I have tried really hard to be polite, but your attitude smacks of arrogance and ignorance.

Lets just say I decided to post a thread, say, on which people liked more: apples, oranges or bananas. I would have given the scope any further discussion could be based around. To come in and say 'Pasta, and anyone who doesnt eat it is not as good an eater as I!' is a bit silly, putting it nicely.

For your information, I weigh 65kgs and really enjoy climbing hills. I am built for climbing. I ride road bikes because it suits my lifestyle at this point. I respect (you should try this sometime - good for the soul) mountain bikers and all other cyclists (though I still snigger at the ultimate hipster fixie with 4 inch wide bars and no brakes) and enjoy occasionally getting out and doing some mtbing. I am currently planning a S/S cyclocross bike to free up my mtb for actual mtbing. I have a 2yo and will have another child in August (I do between 50 and 120kms per week on my MTB with a trailer and my 13kg son in it, so I think I know a bt about towing a load, for the record). For this reason, long tours and camping/ touring trips arent my deal.

I asked about your setup because I am genuinely interested. I am also interested in where the pics were taken as an appreciator of nature, photography and regional trails. I never said your input wasnt desired, however I did, rightfully, defend myself against this nonsensical notion that I have been in any way unfair in my attempts to redirect discussion towards the original intention of the thread. I also felt it was a bit rich that my abilities as a cyclist have come into question based on someones limited experience of me, based on a thread I posted about comparing three specific different climbs.

You would have to be a moron to think that Majura, Black and Ainslie were the hardest climbs in the Canberra region. You would have to equally be a moron to suggest I havent ridden any climbs beyond these. I suggest you start an alternate thread to discuss climbs other than these, and then you can make yourself feel bigger by putting down others in it. This will keep this thread on topic.

Seriously, I have never met you. You seem like an avid cyclist and enthusiast. Good for you. I am glad you are enjoying your passion. I would love to read about your tours and see your pics. For the record, I respect you. I just dont like some of the stuff you have posted. Dude, this was mostly posted tongue in cheek. The sentiment behind it is intended. Any offence is not.

Cheers

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 am

mrgolf wrote:Bud, seriously, lighten up. I have tried really hard to be polite ...
Please don't kid yourself ... all you are actually being is increasingly patronising.
mrgolf wrote:but your attitude smacks of arrogance and ignorance.
Really, see what I mean. I feel you are not being fair to me because my attitude doesn't smack of arrogance ... I always take the high ground. Some here might think that I'm only trying to out-partonise a more patronising poster.

I don't know you, you are right. I don't think that I want to know you either as things currently stand but the day isn't over yet ... and being told your bodily stats is far too much information.

There is a city under the fog in the far distance. You can almost see my house from here.

Warren.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed May 25, 2011 1:02 pm

WarrenH wrote:Twizzle sorry Mate. I didn't realize that you had posted and I edited my post.

Not the Bicentennial National Trail, the planet's longest continuously marked multi-purpose trail but Canberra's new Centenary Trail to celebrate Canberra's 100th birthday ... http://www.canberra100.com.au/media_rel ... apital.php
Ah, that makes more sense. Shame it doesn't have it's own website... or didn't I look hard enough.
WarrenH wrote:
twizzle wrote: :shock: But... that would be so slow and noisy! How would I sneak up on unsuspecting packs of roadies???!
You wont have to. As you valiantly climb your way to the top Twizzle, they'll still be slowed down by carrying their burden ... with what I call, their obsession with 'The Black Line Syndrome'.
Meh... if they'd consider compact cranks or triples a lot of them would be quicker. I guess the whole "Pro" look brings a lot of burdens.
WarrenH wrote:With good therapy, any rider can beat that obsession ... I hope my concerned posts are helping. I'm not a trained councilor, but I am someone who has lived through it and licked it.
twizzle wrote:"Honey, I'm going for a ride, see you in a couple of days".
That would be good but if you can average 30 kilometres a day on the main trail for 5530 kilometres, it will take you 5 months to do and if you do the alternate bike routes where you cant do the main trail, increasing the distance by 760 kilometres and average now 50 kilometres a day ... you will gain hero status. Also, you will average 700 metres of climbing per day, even on your rest days. If you do the BNT you will have climbed the equivalent of Mount Everest from sea level 10.6x.

This is why climbing Mounts Majura, Ainslie and Black Mountain on a light-weight road bike, having thin tyres and without cargo (30 kg to even 40kg) isn't anything at all ... try doing the three of them when in expedition mode, every day for 5 months.

Warren.
It's all swings and roundabouts at the end of the day... those long distance tours require an ass of iron, but I also know how hard it is to maintain the huge cardio that the serious roadies have. Same goes with the MTB guys, different set of skills, different muscles... it's what takes your fancy. I, personally, don't get the whole MTB thing, but my strength is TT'ing and I'm pretty sure MTB'ing isn't a slow-twitch sport. And my butt certainly isn't made of iron! It's a shame, but Brooks don't make a road saddle in my size.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 pm

twizzle wrote:... my strength is TT'ing ...
That was mine too but I saw little of the region. Back in the bad 'ol days when TT here were held on Monday evenings on the Tug'em'along Parkway.

The Canberra Centenary Trail has a site, this is the bike map ... http://www.tams.act.gov.au/pv_obj_cache ... an_V03.pdf

I think it was Steven Hodge's evil recommendation for the trail to go over One Tree Hill on the Spring Range near Hall ... one will get to explore the contours of the Northern Border Track and to climb Oak Hill (799m).

A Blakeleys Red Gum on Oak Hill.

Stromlo to Spring Range.

The future in the Territory is about growth and change we are frequently told. This is one of the reasons why I suggested roadies start buying pseudo knobbly rubber now and do the hardest climbs in Canberra aka Carliac Climb and Flee Creek Fire trail ... then come down Harry Spur. If you like a tingle in your tail bone.

The top of Harrys Spur.

Warren.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Where is the Flea Creek Fire Trail - do you mean Gentle Annie down from Brindabella Road or Webbs Ridge - both of which lead to the junction of Flea Creek. Used to be a good trail in the 4wd but now days the naysayers and the foam packaging guys in the department of cover your butt have graded all the good tracks. The trail down to McIntyres hut springs to mind. Used to be a deeply rutted straight down trail that if you didnt know what you were doing could end up with your vehicle on its lid halfway to the bottom. Now it is a 3 lane highway. I remember now why I sold the 4wd.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Cruiserman wrote:Where is the Flea Creek Fire Trail - do you mean Gentle Annie down from Brindabella Road or Webbs Ridge
Could I be answering one of the Chosen?

What can you tell me Sir ... about Gentle Annie?

... and where is Flee Creek? Me' ol' Mate, should we best keep it within the Chosen Few? ... there could be roadies reading!

Perhaps a photo clue, might be a tad curious for them?

You know when you've climbed a thousand metres and you've only got 500 metres of climbing still to go? ... that's Flee Creek.

Warren.

PS, Roadies freak-out at anything above 12% ... I dream of only 20%

PSS, If you really like climbing, try the BNT. I'm a section coordinator of the BNT. Ring me in Canberra on 62540295 or hudson@grapevine.com.au There is the track here somewhere ... I'd like to suggest thaty you find it.,

Last edited by WarrenH on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Come on you Canberra rodies, I'm all ears and eyes about your most difficult tarmac climbs ever, even your most life-threatening ones dudes, this thread is about "the hardest climbs in Canberra" hey? .. so post your shots, or are you roadies just only pretenders?

I have my opinions about Canberre roadies ... I hope my feelings are not suffering disinterestedness!

Warren.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Too busy riding to stop and take photos, Warren. Spectacular scenery in your photos though.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Hardest road climb would probably be Fitz's or maybe the hills after it before you get to the end of the bitumen. Next might be Honeysuckle Crk and then probably Corin Dam. But these aren't in the city limits of course.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Apollo Road is the first time I've ever been tempted to get off and walk.

It really comes down to gearing, if you can still turn the cranks and the bike doesn't fall over... you haven't reached the limit. With a 22 small chain ring, you can climb almost anything... but you can't get up the same hills with a 34 or 39.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Did my first Corin a few weeks back and it wasn't as bad as I afraid. But Apollo Rd sounds terrifying...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Apollo and Fitz were enjoyable. But I wouldnt base my manhood on that. Nor anybody elses.

I actually find a couple of the climbs out the back of Mt Majura to be fun challenges. Sure, they arent long, but they sure are steep. A couple amongst the pines and the fire trail to the summit have some pretty steep sections for either cycling or running.

My goal is to go and climb some of the bigger climbs in the Tour in a few years while on LSL. Some of those have some killer sections up around the 20% gradient, and are done with a 39. I know they arent in the Canberra area, per se. But we do live in a global village. 8)

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 pm

mrgolf wrote: But I wouldnt base my manhood on that.
I also found that was easily sorted.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Some of the hardest climbs in Canberra aren't always about climbing a tarmac road up a hill, finding simple and interesting slow climbs at night, can be even more than interesting. When the reward is worth far more than the climb.

... and then there is scooting up the Cullerin Range. If you can do Flee Creek, Majura, Ainslie and Black Mountain in a day ... that's a very good practice for the day's ride to get to the steepness of the slope of Cullerin Range.

Photo coming.

I doubt there is a single Roadie on this thread that knows what climbing any serious hill in this neck-of-the-bush is about.

Absolutely.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Sorry, I forgot, was this thread only about climbing Majura,Ainslie and Black Mountain.

Doing kiddy climbs?

Warren.

PS, I don't climb to do the ride, that's a given. I climb to do the photography.