2011 Giro

Baldy

Re: 2011 Giro

Postby Baldy » Sun May 22, 2011 6:58 pm

sogood wrote:
Baldy wrote:I dont want to see blood, thats not a very nice thing to say mate. You are guaranteed crashes in certain races but people watch them, they are all sadists huh?
The difference being, regular road crashes are manageable but the drop off that originally planned narrow and rough mountain road was something completely different, one that'll sure guarantee serious injury or fatality. a few barriers at corners just don't cut it.
Well if they cant ride a strait bit of road without veering off to the side then they dont deserve to be pro's. The barriers at the corners that I saw on the video from the team car looked fine to me. It was only last week they were going down a gravel decent all loose and wild!. That had normal road railings that have bugger all chance of stopping you from going over. I also remember seeing a rider slide down a steep embankment at last years tour? No barrier there and it was only the riders efforts to wash off some speed before he went over that saved him a longer/faster fall down the hill.

Riders choose how much risk they are willing to take, they say as much constantly[Funnily enough its the "athletes" that "choose" to not take the risks when speaking about loosing chunks of time to those that are better bike handlers. I thought this was well known]. Just part of racing.

Fact is we can go back and forth Ad nauseam. We have different ideas on what can be safely ridden obviously. Lets leave it at that.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Baldy wrote:Well if they cant ride a strait bit of road without veering off to the side then they dont deserve to be pro's...
Really? Try this on that narrow and rough descent... And things can and will happen on major descents eg. Puncture on that coarse road surface.

I guess Jens Voigt is no pro either per your definition.

Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun May 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Jens crashed on a strait bit of road yes. He did not run off the road, there is a difference.

You are not going to give an inch are you? I should have known.

Ok Mr Sogood, you win. Ban/remove any stage or road that someone has crashed on previously. Would that make one happy :roll:

I have read enough of your posts to know you just like to argue. Go for your life, I'm out.

sogood

2011 Giro

Postby sogood » Sun May 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Baldy wrote:Jens crashed on a strait bit of road yes. He did not run off the road, there is a difference.
No need to attack the person. I was just illustrating facts that went against your opinion. Nothing personal unless you take it that way.

As for Jens' case, he would have got off the road if it happened on that proposed narrow road, as opposes to the mountain highway that's almost 3 times as wide.

And should one rider crash and lay the width of the road, the rest of the peloton would had no option but to do a LA to get down.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 am

Anyway, from th pics they showed, buggered if I'd be happy racing down there, let alone ride !!

For me now, the Giro has lost it's potential to be exciting, and it's a battle for minor places, and even that is a bit, um, yes :|

Hopefully some aussies can do something on the remaining stages.

Too much uni work to do this week ..... :cry:

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon May 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Baldy wrote:
Fact is we can go back and forth Ad nauseam. We have different ideas on what can be safely ridden obviously. Lets leave it at that.
Nothing to do with riding skills, as the great patron pointed out. :?
“It’s the sensible thing to do,” race leader Alberto Contador said.
“There was no guarantee of assistance and the ambulances could not to get there
if there was a problem.”
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 am

Well, I been enjoying the time I can get to watch... and will leave it at that! :mrgreen:
Cycling is in my BNA

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 am

contador is on another planet

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 25, 2011 11:04 am

jules21 wrote:contador is on another planet
This is a bit like the LA argument. Sure if there's widespread doping, then he is either still naturally better than others or he has really good dope. I just wonder what'll happen at the TdF when Contador's real competitors are also in the race, but one we may not get to see this year.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am

i wasn't alluding to his doping. i pretty much assume his competitors are too and they're on a level playing field. but his riding has just been incredible - he doesn't give anyone else a look-in.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

Yes, clearly Contador is in a class of his own when it comes to climbing with this present group of competitors. They are no match. I just wonder if he can still be as dominating when his true competitors like Schlecks, Cadel Evans etc are around.

Tale

Postby Tale » Wed May 25, 2011 2:11 pm

sogood wrote:Yes, clearly Contador is in a class of his own when it comes to climbing with this present group of competitors. They are no match. I just wonder if he can still be as dominating when his true competitors like Schlecks, Cadel Evans etc are around.
Or if he'll suffer in July from having done the Giro in May.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed May 25, 2011 2:12 pm

sogood wrote:I just wonder if he can still be as dominating when his true competitors like Schlecks, Cadel Evans etc are around.
True Andy Schleck is a class above AC's rivals at the Giro, but Cadel has to reaffirm that he is a "true competitor" at the Tour. He's been a long way off the mark the last 2 years :| With BMC's guaranteed entry this year he has been able to prepare alot better :)
FPR Ragamuffin

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Chuck wrote:True Andy Schleck is a class above AC's rivals at the Giro, but Cadel has to reaffirm that he is a "true competitor" at the Tour. He's been a long way off the mark the last 2 years :| With BMC's guaranteed entry this year he has been able to prepare alot better :)
Well, we have to keep our local boy up in that league, right?

But I agree Cadel the diesel engine just seemed to lack that little bit at the top end. Hopefully he'll have something up there this year.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Chuck wrote: He's been a long way off the mark the last 2 years :|
i don't know about that. 2009 was strange - he seemed to have a bust up with the Lotto team, but he was looking good last year until he broke his elbow. even in 2008 (i think it was) when he had that serious crash, you'd wonder if that took enough out of him to be the difference between 1st and 2nd. i think people tend to judge cadel harshly - he's shown an ability to be a world beater on his day. not many riders can make claim to that.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm

jules21 wrote:contador is on another planet
So are the cows

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed May 25, 2011 4:30 pm

jules21 wrote:i think people tend to judge cadel harshly - he's shown an ability to be a world beater on his day. not many riders can make claim to that.
I think he's the best road cyclist to ever come out of Australia. I like to be realistic though, the Tour is the race that the big guns want to peak at. Assuming all are in peak form, at a GT I don't think he can beat AS or Basso. Cadel will be helped by the fact that AC (if he's at the Tour) has raced hard at a very challenging Giro. I think he'll possibly be fighting for the third step on the podium with Levi, Horner, Van den Broek etc.

He has shown before that he carries good form after the Tour. I hope he races the Vuelta, I think he can win that :)

Going OT sorry.
FPR Ragamuffin

toofat

Postby toofat » Wed May 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Chuck wrote:
jules21 wrote:i think people tend to judge cadel harshly - he's shown an ability to be a world beater on his day. not many riders can make claim to that.
I think he's the best road cyclist to ever come out of Australia.

Apart from Sir Hubert Opperman who in his day was hours ahead of the best in europe not minutes

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Never thought it would happen but I think I might be a born again Bertie fan :o :lol:

I am just in awe of the guy. As scripted as it might be he comes across well in the interviews after stages, sure he is confident and flashy at times but you could say with good reason. Either way, I dont want to be his mate but I find myself cheering him on .....weird eh.

I'm a Liquigas fan[well Basso] wear the kit and follow the team the best I can[my grasp of Italian is bordering on non existent!] But I have found myself willing Bertie along over Nibali. Not sure what it is exactly but Nibali seems to have no character and I am not a fan of the way he rides. I accept that he is not an explosive climber/rider like some of the others. But I dont get the feeling that is the only reason he does not react to attacks, It seems to me when he gets attacked he goes into his shell a bit. There is no fire in the belly! I have seen him get dropped then finish the stage hardly blowing, whereas the other contenders who go out the back still fight and suffer right to the line. Maybe Nibali has the best poker face of all time? I'm not sure. Or he just chucks the sad's a little bit and goes into conservation mode too easily. Unlike Basso, that bloke seems to know how to suffer.

Strange times, I have turned off Porte and warmed to Contador! I wonder if Osama is wearing a beanie and uggboots right about now :mrgreen:

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Porte has even less charicter than Nibali IMO. hes a non event every time he rides, regardless of form or results. I dont expect passion from all of our Aussies but the guy makes boring look like a Roman orgy. Is it just me who thinks it?

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 pm

They sunk Obama in an ocean trench in Ugboots? Thats stupid

hosko

Postby hosko » Thu May 26, 2011 6:00 am

The Womble wrote:They sunk Obama in an ocean trench in Ugboots? Thats stupid
Umm think you mean Osama.... how one little character in a name these days can make a difference! :shock:
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu May 26, 2011 11:08 am

Good old rough artse Italian sprint finish at the end of the 17th.
(all the controversy of a "chav" finish :lol: )
"Patron" remains in control of the race.
Scarponi and Nibali well under control.
Best man will get to Milano on top. 8)
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 am

Baldy wrote:Never thought it would happen but I think I might be a born again Bertie fan :o :lol:

You are dead to me now! :shock: :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 pm

norbs wrote:
Baldy wrote:Never thought it would happen but I think I might be a born again Bertie fan :o :lol:

You are dead to me now! :shock: :lol:
He has talent yes, but that lispy voice, uugghhh. Just like Schumacher - mega talent but a ................. (insert what you wish). Just hope the ban comes through and he's not at Le Tour

I truly hope Cadel will do well and show what he is capable of (glimpses of last years Giro).