Riding with a head cold?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Comedian

Riding with a head cold?

Postby Comedian » Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 am

OK... this hasn't happened to me to date. I've got a head cold :( Nothing all that nasty - it's not man flu yet.

What do people do when they get this sort of thing? Just man up and ride or do we have a rest day?

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Riding with a head cold?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri May 27, 2011 8:44 am

There's been other threads on this, and if I remember correctly, the consensus was that riding with a cold is OK (as long as you feel up to it and can handle the discomfort), but riding with a fever is not a good idea. I could be wrong.

Oh, and HTFU.

David

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 am

Rule is: symptoms above the neck only, it's probably OK to ride ... at recovery pace only. No deep-digging workouts.

Below the neck: don't ride.

Rationale:
Exercise temporarily overloads the system, reducing fitness (and immune system in the bargain) temporarily as a consequence. Overcompensation kicks in 24-72 hours later depending on how deep you dug.

It's the short term weakening of the immune system that can have consequences if you are coming down with something. I've disregarded that rule in the past and paid the price. It was not enjoyable.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri May 27, 2011 10:42 am

sudafed + cement....and thermals.

the grid

Postby the grid » Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 am

Oh ok I must have had a cold all year then.

Comedian

Riding with a head cold?

Postby Comedian » Fri May 27, 2011 11:21 am

Ok... I've got the idea.... Man up princess!

:mrgreen:

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Fri May 27, 2011 10:11 pm

I haven't had a cold in the last 12 months that I can remember. Certainly nothing that would stop me riding. I feel the cycling has boosted my immune system heaps. Anyone else feel invincible? :P

To the OP, I'd go riding as long as it's not on my chest. Probably clear your head out. :lol:

Gavin

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 am

betterthanwalking wrote:I haven't had a cold in the last 12 months that I can remember. Certainly nothing that would stop me riding. I feel the cycling has boosted my immune system heaps. Anyone else feel invincible? :P

To the OP, I'd go riding as long as it's not on my chest. Probably clear your head out. :lol:

Gavin
Look I'd agree that with my increase in fitness I've gotten healthier. I reckon this is the first cold I've had an a year!

So, I just took drugs and manned up this morning. I did a relaxed 60 with hills. I seemed to be ok. Off to Cootha tomorrow so we will see!

petie

Postby petie » Sun May 29, 2011 6:50 pm

I don't have a link or hard proof, but there was a paper released in some medical journal suggesting that raising HR above 130-140 (depending on age and fitness etc) was detrimental to recovery from a variety of illnesses/afflictions. Kinda common sense and as posted above, just keep it hella slow and no big hills. Wish i could remember where i read it!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon May 30, 2011 9:00 am

http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/v78/n ... 0071a.html
pages 518-519
"In people with fever (38°C or more), rest should always be
recommended. People who know their normal temperature
and pulse curves should rest if their resting temperature has
increased by 0.5–1°C or more and at the same time their
resting pulse has risen by 10 b.p.m. or more, in combination
with general symptoms (malaise, muscle pains, muscle
tenderness, diffuse joint pains, headache).

General malaise of acute onset, especially in combination
with muscle pains, muscle tenderness, diffuse joint pains and
headache, should give reason to recommend rest, even when
the body temperature is normal.

In all infections, caution should be observed during the
first 1–3 days of symptoms, even with a normal body temperature,
until the body defence against infection has had
time to become mobilized and until the further development
of the infection becomes clear. Serious infections often have
prodromal symptoms and in such cases it may take 1–3 days
before the serious nature of the infection becomes evident.

In people with nasal catarrh without a sore throat, cough
or general symptoms, caution is recommended during the
first 1–3 days, after which training can gradually be resumed
if the symptoms do not become intensified. If a cold is
accompanied by further symptoms, for example, sore throat,
hoarseness or cough, the recommendation should be more
restrictive, depending on the degree and development of the
symptoms................"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12000664
Normal oral, rectal, tympanic and axillary body temperature in adult men and women: a systematic literature review.

http://www.cps.ca/english/statements/ha ... llness.htm
SHOULD AN ATHLETE WITH AN INFECTION RETURN TO PLAY?
"This can be a tricky issue, particularly at critical moments during an athlete’s competitive season. In general, decisions about whether to continue exercising during an illness can be made using a ‘neck check’ (3-5). If symptoms are confined to above the neck, such as a runny nose, nasal congestion or sore throat, athletes may continue to participate as long as they feel able. An infected athlete should attempt to exercise at mild to moderate intensity for 10 min to 15 min; if symptoms worsen, the athlete should stop and rest. If symptoms do not worsen, the athlete can continue to participate (3-5).

If an athlete has systemic symptoms, however, such as fever, myalgias, diarrhea or an elevated resting heart rate, they should refrain from exercising until symptoms have resolved for a period of seven to 14 days, because of the risk of dehydration, prolonged illness or more serious complications. Once recovered, athletes should ease back into sports gradually, taking one to two days for every training day missed to build back up to preillness levels (3-5)."

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 30, 2011 10:21 am

Wow Winstonw that's pretty interesting.

I'm not really that sick - I think it's pretty minor. I know I bumped into you on Saturday morning after the gateway cruise, and I did go up cootha yesterday. I seemed to perform as well as normal although I didn't really push it.

I had a bit of a sinus headache during the night so I decided to stay home and have a rest today. My resting may be up a little - 10% maybe. I haven't had a fever at all. Maybe I'm just run down.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon May 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Hello Comedian

i have just gained a cough and sore throat. So no spin classes for me for a few days, lots of germs in the gym. I suggest taking it easy till the weekend, then just have an easy group ride. Dont try any new personal best times or KOMs, just spin out some kms.

How long has it been since you had a good break from exercise?
when do we stop for coffee???

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Mon May 30, 2011 3:49 pm

i have a lot to say here . ride when your well . when your sick -rest. i lived with an extremely fit person when i was young , he was a black belt in marshall arts , did not drink alcohol, caffeine, smoke, eat sweets, or chocolate, only fresh food , and trained daily , he had 7% body fat , and could not miss a meal without getting ill . he would get every flu going .
myself have always been quite well , hardly ever get the flu . and after recently getting fit on the bike , went for my best ride with best time , and felt invincible , to having a slight cough 24 hours later , and pnuemonia after 48 hours .
trust me , take it easy , i'd hate to think how bad i'd 've ended up if i went for a ride with the cough .
when i played junior rugby league for the eels at 16 , we used to ignore the flu , and train it out . nowadys though in your 40's i'm not sure the body can do that .

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Comedian wrote:I'm not really that sick - I think it's pretty minor. I know I bumped into you on Saturday morning after the gateway cruise, and I did go up cootha yesterday. I seemed to perform as well as normal although I didn't really push it.

I had a bit of a sinus headache during the night so I decided to stay home and have a rest today. My resting may be up a little - 10% maybe. I haven't had a fever at all. Maybe I'm just run down.
I've been carrying a very low grade upper respiratory tract infection since Easter, when the weather cooled. I took it easy for the first few weeks, but now up volume and intensity on the good days, though there seems to be a ceiling on what I can do before getting a gravelly voice. I am very sensitive to late nights as I am up 5-6 most mornings.

It's an interesting bit of self observation to take your oral temperature regularly for a while. It can give beneficial foresight into many aspects of health and training, in addition to heart rate and rating of perceived exertion.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 31, 2011 5:55 am

Well I got up... walked around.. thought it might be a little bit chesty and skipped the Tuesday morning blast. Oh well.

I'll just ride to work and take it easy.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 am

Comedian wrote:Well I got up... walked around.. thought it might be a little bit chesty and skipped the Tuesday morning blast. Oh well.

I'll just ride to work and take it easy.
1 step back and 2 steps forward :)

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue May 31, 2011 1:57 pm

Don't you have a T-shirt with all the different excuses as to why not to ride.... and ye, suck it up and get out there, if its a head cold the ride will clear the ol pipes out for ya :D :D
Happy Days