Pedal problem

dandyandy08

Pedal problem

Postby dandyandy08 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:00 am

Hi All,

I have PD-M520 pedals on my commuter. I also have a bunch of kids to take to school in the morning. Putting on bike shoes feels like way overkill to ride 600m to school with the kids, so I was looking for a platform type clip on thingy so I can ride the short hop in thongs or runners. I don't even know what to call them to google them but I'm sure I have seen a plastic platform that works this way.

Does anybody have some or know where I can get them?

Thanx in advance, Dan

Kenzo

Re: Pedal problem

Postby Kenzo » Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 am

The plastic inserts break easily anyway, they're supposed to be used by the LBS to let people take bikes for test rides.
Just use your biking shoes.
Velcro straps or ratchet style shoes make it quick and easy to do.
But I'm sure if you went down to the bike shop, eventually they will have a set to give to you.

dandyandy08

Postby dandyandy08 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:54 am

Thanx Kenzo, I didn't realise they were disposable. Is there anything else out there a bit more substantial that will do the same thing?

Thanx Dan

MacG10

Postby MacG10 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 am

Perhaps you could look at the A530? Flat pedal on one side, SPD on the other:

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu May 26, 2011 9:30 am

MacG10 wrote:Perhaps you could look at the A530? Flat pedal on one side, SPD on the other:

Wouldn't that mean a change of riding shoes?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 am

Nope. M520's are SPD, as are the 530's.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu May 26, 2011 10:06 am

familyguy wrote:Nope. M520's are SPD, as are the 530's.

I was just coming back to correct myself. :)

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 am

norbs wrote:
MacG10 wrote:Perhaps you could look at the A530? Flat pedal on one side, SPD on the other...
IMG
In a way, yes, it will.

Using a cleated shoe on the flat pedal is as dangerous and annoying as using 'normal' shoes or sandals on clip in pedals.
I've tried these hald and half pedals before, they are more a pain than they are a solution.

Seeing as you suggested thongs or runners, you may be better off just getting some SPD sandals
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SD65-Cycl ... 00&sr=1-13
These would also come in handy if riding in the rain in summer... or just bike path riding with the kids on their bikes to get an icecream...

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu May 26, 2011 10:29 am

Kenzo wrote: In a way, yes, it will.

Using a cleated shoe on the flat pedal is as dangerous and annoying as using 'normal' shoes or sandals on clip in pedals.
I've tried these hald and half pedals before, they are more a pain than they are a solution.

Seeing as you suggested thongs or runners, you may be better off just getting some SPD sandals
These would also come in handy if riding in the rain in summer... or just bike path riding with the kids on their bikes to get an icecream...

Really? I have had a Shimano M324 ( http://www.this link is broken/shimano-m324-co ... on-pedals/ ) pedal on my bikes for years. I love them. I even moved them onto the new road bike so i can still ride up to the shops with a back pack if needed.

fattima

Postby fattima » Thu May 26, 2011 10:34 am

I put a set of these on my commuter bike.
http://www.this link is broken/p_148_SHIMA ... l_Under_70
Ugly looking things but they work well and are fairly cheap. I've ridden them a few times wearing runners or work boots to ride to the pub or shops and while you can feel the mechanism on the bottom of your foot they are by no means uncomfortable.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:03 am

norbs wrote:
familyguy wrote:Nope. M520's are SPD, as are the 530's.
I was just coming back to correct myself. :)
And remove my fun? How dare you!
Kenzo wrote:
norbs wrote:
MacG10 wrote:Perhaps you could look at the A530? Flat pedal on one side, SPD on the other...
IMG
In a way, yes, it will.

I dont think the talk is of using cleated shoes on flat pedals. If they're double sided, cleats for the cleated shoes, flats for the regular shoes. Doesnt take much to flip them over with a toe.

SPD sandals? To borrow the Most Interesting Man In The World...

Jim

matth

Postby matth » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 am

My son has the Shimano PD-A520 on his road bike which are SPD, however with the platform around the mechanism he often rides in runners if only going a couple of km... any further and he uses his bike shoes. I've tried them as well on test rides after working on his bike. While you can feel the mechanism under your foot it actually provided grip while the platform provides good support.

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/conte ... ype-..html

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu May 26, 2011 11:15 am

With pedals either get double sided clipless (eg spd's) or good flats. The compromise pedals are just that. IMHO. If you must then the double sided "caged" pedals but you feet can slip off with normal shoes.

In the OP's case the best solution would be a good set of flats and and a new "school commuter" bike. Possibly steel and single speed.

dandyandy08

Postby dandyandy08 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanx for all the help everybody. I guess the clip on platform ain't the answer. I suppose I thought that would be the simplest way to go. Don't really want to change to a single sided pedal for commuting. I like not having to think
When starting from stand still.

Dandy

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 am

dandyandy08 wrote:Thanx for all the help everybody. I guess the clip on platform ain't the answer. I suppose I thought that would be the simplest way to go. Don't really want to change to a single sided pedal for commuting. I like not having to think
When starting from stand still.

Dandy

Is that your Xray Dandy? :wink:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm

dandyandy08 wrote:Hi All,

I have PD-M520 pedals on my commuter. I also have a bunch of kids to take to school in the morning. Putting on bike shoes feels like way overkill to ride 600m to school with the kids, so I was looking for a platform type clip on thingy so I can ride the short hop in thongs or runners. I don't even know what to call them to google them but I'm sure I have seen a plastic platform that works this way.

Thanx in advance, Dan
I think you just found a reason to buy another bike :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

dandyandy08

Postby dandyandy08 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 pm

No not my xray. That is obviously a Lady.

Would love a good reason for another bike but that's a tough sell to my loved one.
"Darl, I have to buy another bike. The pedals are all wrong on this one."
"Buy another bike honey and I'll shove both your feet up your bum. It won't need pedals!"

Luke Brown

Postby Luke Brown » Fri May 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Clearly she needs to learning the equation, N = x + 1, where 'N' is the number of bikes you need and 'x' is the number you currently have.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Fri May 27, 2011 9:47 pm

dandyandy08 wrote:No not my xray. That is obviously a Lady.

Would love a good reason for another bike but that's a tough sell to my loved one.
"Darl, I have to buy another bike. The pedals are all wrong on this one."
"Buy another bike honey and I'll shove both your feet up your bum. It won't need pedals!"
Hard rubbish or $20 ebay special is the answer young Grasshopper
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

dandyandy08

Postby dandyandy08 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:42 pm

Ha! The number of bikes is the problem. I was hoping the clip on thingys might meet a need without adding to the mess in the yard. Currently 6 bikes and a tagalong and 3 scooters. The last hard rubbish collection yielded a dog walker MTB and 2 kids bikes to be cannabalised for a kayak trolley.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Keen Commuter sandals are very cool (but also very narrow). I got mine for $130 (delivered) from Oregon Mountain Community and they fit me fine. Quite comfy to walk about all day in too 8) Cheaper than a new bike.

Also I have known people who have made good use of the plastic pedal inserts. Fitted with reflectors, they seem to be intended for ongoing use

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 29, 2011 4:09 pm

il padrone wrote:Keen Commuter sandals are very cool (but also very narrow). I got mine for $130 (delivered) from Oregon Mountain Community and they fit me fine. Quite comfy to walk about all day in too 8) Cheaper than a new bike.

So tempted to try these but the width issue is a worry, what size are you Pete?
il padrone wrote:Also I have known people who have made good use of the plastic pedal inserts. Fitted with reflectors, they seem to be intended for ongoing use

Regular fit and remove will chew the plastic "cleat" to bits very quickly
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
il padrone wrote:Keen Commuter sandals are very cool (but also very narrow). I got mine for $130 (delivered) from Oregon Mountain Community and they fit me fine. Quite comfy to walk about all day in too 8) Cheaper than a new bike.

So tempted to try these but the width issue is a worry, what size are you Pete?
I'm a size 43 (Eur), 9.5 (Aus). The width is the thing, I have narrow feet - don't know the actual width measure but my digital micrometer tells me the right foot is 96.3mm wide :mrgreen: Pretty sure that's gonna be down in the bottom decile.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks Pete. I'm a 43-44 depending on brand. Quick and dirty ruler check says around 100mm, hmmm. Lotta coin to splash if they're no good and I won't try on at a dealer and order online.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 29, 2011 5:33 pm

dandyandy08 wrote:Hi All,

Thanx in advance, Dan
Yep I have a pair for look cleats but haven't seen any others in years - they are a platform with toe clips and a cleat on the bottom - will dig them out & post a photo.

Bit of a PITA to fit but they do the job. I was considering swapping to something like the shimano PD-M424, but it seems to be against the recomendations
Anything you can do, I can do slower