Small road bike HELP needed please!!!

gururug

Re: Small road bike HELP needed please!!!

Postby gururug » Mon May 30, 2011 7:45 am

you can get 650 tubs. tri riders were the biggest consumers of the 404/zipp's. haven't used them but theyd be comparable to the 700s.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon May 30, 2011 8:13 am

Nobody wrote:[Did Steve ever mention shorter cranks to you? Ever have any knee problems? There are plenty of other reasons to go to short cranks, other than you are likely to be short legged enough to benefit from them.

I'm 173cm with an 81cm inner leg. According to the calculator below I'm better off with 165s which I run on all my bikes now.
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... lator.html
Do you mean for the pinny, no he never metioned the word Shroter cranks, I have long legs but short torso, (with lots of nice curves)
He just said the best bike for me would be with 650c wheels.
SH doesnt know that I now also ride 700c wheels. When I am in a bunch I like riding the Teschner as I feel I have better control.
I get very nervous on the pinny if anyone gets close to me.
feral grasshopper wrote:
Apple wrote:Hey feral grasshopper
I hope you ar coming to the snowy girls weekend in November
Hadn't heard about it, sounds interesting (challenging!?!) tell me more! I'm usually game to go anywhere if it involves bicycles and eating and drinking, LOL!
Don't you read the girls section. :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=39590 :lol:
Hope you can make it.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon May 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Apple wrote:
Nobody wrote:[Did Steve ever mention shorter cranks to you? Ever have any knee problems? There are plenty of other reasons to go to short cranks, other than you are likely to be short legged enough to benefit from them.

I'm 173cm with an 81cm inner leg. According to the calculator below I'm better off with 165s which I run on all my bikes now.
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... lator.html
Do you mean for the pinny, no he never metioned the word Shroter cranks, I have long legs but short torso, (with lots of nice curves)
He just said the best bike for me would be with 650c wheels.
SH doesnt know that I now also ride 700c wheels. When I am in a bunch I like riding the Teschner as I feel I have better control.
I get very nervous on the pinny if anyone gets close to me.
feral grasshopper wrote:
Apple wrote:Hey feral grasshopper
I hope you ar coming to the snowy girls weekend in November

Hadn't heard about it, sounds interesting (challenging!?!) tell me more! I'm usually game to go anywhere if it involves bicycles and eating and drinking, LOL!
Don't you read the girls section. :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=39590 :lol:
Hope you can make it.
I'm obviously not reading enough! That looks good, no GREAT fun, my only doubt is can I keep up wid y'all! I'll post on the other thread too then and book something in jindabyne closer to the time!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Apple wrote:Do you mean for the pinny, no he never mentioned the word Shroter cranks, I have long legs but short torso
I suspected he wouldn't mention "Shroter" cranks :wink: , but interesting to see he didn't mention shorter cranks. Thanks.

The question wasn't bike specific since shorter cranks would be more about your fit rather than fitting the bike (although it would help with toe overlap).

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Steve Hogg set me up on the current bike- in fact he designed it and I had it built to his specs. I too have 165 cranks. I get toe overlap even on the 650s but no big deal. It's not like I turn the wheel much and I've certainly never clipped the wheel with my foot when riding.

I've got Mavic Open Pros on my bike. I vaguely thought about getting race wheels but then I remembered I'm old and my bike is steel. :) Somehow people just find 650 race wheels on ebay so there seems to be some around.

I wondered what Emma Pooley rides. That Venezualan that won a stage of the Giro - how small was he? He weighs 49kgs and was shorter than the podium girls when he was standing on the top! His bike looked like it was all wheels and he was definitely riding 700s.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Apple wrote:my front wheel is out of true and cant be fixed, it is worn around the rim.
The hub is Amarican classic and is fine, but I am getting a new hub with the other wheel. I am changing both wheels.
The wheels are light.
I couldnt get any other brand, and these are good value for a racing wheel.
hey Apple, you've started something, i've got an attack of upgraditis and decided my 650c Mavic Open Pros just won't do. so my LBS is getting a price on some velocities for me. which rim are you getting? do you know why they don't have complete wheels in 650 on their website but only rims, when they have the 700 as complete wheels, you'd think complete wheels should be an option in both sizes??

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:20 pm

="feral grasshopper hey Apple, you've started something, i've got an attack of upgraditis and decided my 650c Mavic Open Pros just won't do. so my LBS is getting a price on some velocities for me. which rim are you getting ?
I got the 30mm ones deep V, it is wide and looks great on the bike, I used it for racing and found it to work well because it’s light and feels great. Steve Hogg was the first one to recommend it.
http://www.velocitywheels.com/store/pro ... =50&cID=21
do you know why they don't have complete wheels in 650 on their website but only rims, when they have the 700 as complete wheels, you'd think complete wheels should be an option in both sizes??
I think it is because they need to be made, they are not sold already pre made but they have to be built by a wheel builder. They are made to order. Hope that helps. I am picking up my bike tomorrow with my new wheels; they need to transfer my cassettes over to the new wheel :D
Last edited by Apple on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Also I forgot to mention, I use 60mm presto valves 650 tubes (650X18-25) from wiggles, I buy in bulk, Australia stopped supplying these tubes. I use continental 4000 tyres as well from wiggles

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:34 pm

make sure the LBS susses out the join....some velocity's come with about a mm overlap...get them to send for some different ones if that's the case. 40mm is fine for deepv's

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:37 pm

gururug wrote:make sure the LBS susses out the join....some velocity's come with about a mm overlap...get them to send for some different ones if that's the case. 40mm is fine for deepv's
Is that right :shock:
I will check mine when I pick it up tomorrow

correction,
I think it is this one I got.
http://www.velocitywheels.com/store/pro ... =47&cID=21

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 pm

gururug wrote:make sure the LBS susses out the join....some velocity's come with about a mm overlap...get them to send for some different ones if that's the case. 40mm is fine for deepv's
Can u explain please, gururug, do u mean they can be badly made? Is that a common problem with Velocitys and what effect does the overlap have? Soz if this is a massively stupid/ignorant question! :oops:

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Apple wrote:Also I forgot to mention, I use 60mm presto valves 650 tubes (650X18-25) from wiggles, I buy in bulk, Australia stopped supplying these tubes. I use continental 4000 tyres as well from wiggles
Thanks for the Info and the link, Apple. I shall explore. I've got Vredestein tyres, have 2 spares sourced when I bought the bike. Bought 10 tubes from Wiggle (platinum customer there, blush, blush!) and have had no flats so far. Tyres are limited in choice as u know. Contis are always good, reliable too