Drafting while commuting

mekore

Drafting while commuting

Postby mekore » Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Who elses do this? i mean even though you can pass one, you keep on drafting behind. Does people find it as an offence or something impolite?

ussually people tries to shake me off, pedalling harder etc. cmon im not a crime who wants to find out where do you sleep :mrgreen:

the worse one is those who stopped and pretend that they've arrived. How do i know? because i turn on the next red light then hide. when he/she come out again i tailed him/her again :twisted:

Scrap

Re: Drafting while commuting

Postby Scrap » Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 pm

You sound like a pain in the arse and a possible stalker if you ask me.I wouldn't like you riding up my bum.
Life's too short to roll on just anything....

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:50 am

Scrap wrote:You sound like a pain in the arse
yup.

Kenzo

Drafting while commuting

Postby Kenzo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:01 am

mekore wrote:Who elses do this? i mean even though you can pass one, you keep on drafting behind. Does people find it as an offence or something impolite?

ussually people tries to shake me off, pedalling harder etc. cmon im not a crime who wants to find out where do you sleep :mrgreen:

the worse one is those who stopped and pretend that they've arrived. How do i know? because i turn on the next red light then hide. when he/she come out again i tailed him/her again :twisted:
Nah, draft away... I don't have a problem with that.
I draft too and especially on the single speed when I can't go that little bit faster to pass safely so I need to wait for a clear enough section.
People try to shake you off because that's just a part of the commuter race. It's about seeing who's stronger, faster, better.
But if they go to the trouble of pulling off, then hiding and waiting is being a tossR. I hope you say that in jest.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 am

You draft but don't pull a turn on the front?
You wait to see if someone has really arrived before drafting again?

You're just a tad rude don't you think?
2010 BMC SLC01

splunk

Postby splunk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 am

Drafting is fine. I do it. I let people behind me do it. But I also try and drop them :) Why? Because when you have been communting via bike for over 10 years, you need to keep it interesting - Commuter Racing is the name of the game.

The main rule is that you get a point for every rider you drop that looks faster than you.

So, if you are in lycra and/or on a road bike... we shall meet in the near future :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:02 am

I hardly ever come upon a rider fast enough to draft
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:17 am

I don't do it often, other riders are either way too fast or way too slow. Seems like I'm somewhere in the middle. There are a few cyclists who are regulars on my route who are about my speed on the flat but they can't get up hills so I usually overtake them on the way up (maybe I'm lighter?) and then often I get the 'loser flyby' where they pedal like mad downhill to go past me. If they do that then I might draft them for a while just to let them know I'm there.

But the OP sounds like a creepy stalker to me!
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:29 am

mikesbytes wrote:I hardly ever come upon a rider fast enough to draft
Such modesty ;)

ozjolly

Postby ozjolly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:45 am

splunk wrote:The main rule is that you get a point for every rider you drop that looks faster than you.
Nice one. I'm going to start playing this game!

Agree with everyone else re: OP. The drafting is OK, but stopping and waiting for them again is very creepy if it's true. I'd be drafting them straight to the nearest cop shop.

Comedian

Drafting while commuting

Postby Comedian » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:01 am

Yep stalking them is strange.

I'm ok with people drafting me. If you overtake though you better make sure you can make it stick though. ;)

I'm generally a bit reluctant to draft people myself as you don't know them and don't know what they are going to do. If they stop it's the guy behind that will go down so I don't need that.

Like mike says too, if I'm on Kermit I've generally got panniers full and or I'm recovery riding so I don't usually go that fast. On Gordon I I'm either cruising or hammering too. When hammering there isn't anyone fast enough for me to draft or to draft me in general.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:12 am

i dislike being drafted, as it requires sitting very close to my rear wheel. this is OK in an organised road race with clear roads, but it is dangerous on a shared path or public road. i do follow people, but at a couple of lengths that provides little wind shelter. sitting bolt upright on a MTB with fat tyres, i find it amusing when roadies draft me, often followed by a vicious out-of-the-saddle attack. CCR is usually good for a laugh, if only sometimes to observe the ridiculous behaviour of some commuters :)

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I hardly ever come upon a rider fast enough to draft
Comedian wrote:When hammering there isn't anyone fast enough for me to draft or to draft me in general.
For every rider that’s never been drafted, there is a drafter who’s never been dropped :wink:

zero

Postby zero » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 pm

mekore wrote:Who elses do this? i mean even though you can pass one, you keep on drafting behind. Does people find it as an offence or something impolite?

I don't mind being drafted over the SHB as there are no cars present - what usually happens is I tow a roadie over the climb and then he will pull out on the descent, but I don't want to be drafted on the road unless I've agreed to ride as part of an organised group. I especially do not want to be drafted at night on the road, because my visibility arrangements are always superior to that of the drafter, and I have disc brakes, I cover the brakes when it makes sense to, and I stop for red lights.

My experience with drafters is that they do not respond to situations where I cover my brakes (the really bad riders even complain about it), they obscure my lighting arrangements, they pass closely at red lights, and when there is an obstruction ahead, its not uncommon for them to pull alongside and box me in.

Xponti

Postby Xponti » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I don't mind being drafted. No skin off my nose for someone to sit behind me. Have done enough in my time that I figure it is paying it forward. I also encourage people I pass to "hook on" if they can.

On the times that I draft and can't/don't come round and pull a turn on the front, I usually say "Thanks for the Tow" when I can. It just seems the right thing to do.
There is no peace only Passion (for cycling), through Passion I gain Strength (in my legs), through Strength I gain Power (watts), through Power I gain Victory!

2007 Giant OCR1
Malvern Star Pinnacle MTB

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:10 pm

I spotted someone ahead of me today. When I did catch upto him I had to slow down due to line of sight issues on that section of the path so had to wait for a minute before I could pass him. He got on my back wheel eventually when I did go pass him and I was pushing faster than I was before. I continued to push hard up until a metal grate which I stopped all power and rolled over it in a straight line. Heard him behind me puffing and wheezing :) Accelerated again and thought he was behind me for 10 mins, when I headchecked he wasn't there :) Extra workout for me
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Successful troll is... Well, you know. ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Does anyone know where that commuter points system is?

Kenzo

Drafting while commuting

Postby Kenzo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Does anyone know where that commuter points system is?
Who cares... Just make it up as you go. You'd be the only one the points are relevant to. It would only be for personal satisfaction... and fun.

christian.lags

Postby christian.lags » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 am

whats the most effective speed to draft on ?

Comedian

Drafting while commuting

Postby Comedian » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:05 am

christian.lags wrote:whats the most effective speed to draft on ?
The fastest you can!

Generally there isn't much benefit below about 25k.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:57 am

christian.lags wrote:whats the most effective speed to draft on ?
Saw some stats on this, if memory serves me right, at 45kph
drafting rider uses 72% of the effort of the rider in front
3rd rider uses 68%
4th rider uses 67%

I've seen quoted that the rider in front gets a 2% benefit from the drafting rider

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:48 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I've seen quoted that the rider in front gets a 2% benefit from the drafting rider
it's been a while, but being on the front of a peloton (ok, bunch of C-graders) i remember feeling as though i was being pushed along. you seem to get quite a benefit from the bunch behind you.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Let's not call it drafting, but pacing. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 pm

The way I see it is that as the drafter the onus is on you to ride the draftee off your wheel. If you can't, harden up! If you are the draftee encourage the drafter to try and ride you off their wheel until they blow and then pass them :)