Drafting while commuting

gdt

Re: Drafting while commuting

Postby gdt » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 pm

The thing is, cycling home isn't a race. So I might stop. And if I do stop then I don't want you to pull up into my rear wheel.

So if you ask to draught and a tricky bit is approaching then I'll decline. If you tack on without asking then I'll put some distance in between us, enough for me to pull up without spearing you into me. And yeah, I won't be happy about that, since I'd much rather be giving my full attention to the tricky stretch of road and traffic.

At quieter times I'll accept, since two or three bikes get a lot less agro from the traffic than one. If you have no bunch skills then I'll let you wander off the front and come up past quick enough that you can't latch back on. That seems to be nicer than just riding off the front.

If it's really windy and you're really suffering, then I've been known to pass you and then slow down and take the front for a few Kms. Someone did that for me in the driving rain when I first started commuting, and I thought it was a nice thing.

Nick - Pie Man

Postby Nick - Pie Man » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:25 pm

This thread is scary. Glad there arent too many cyclists out my way :shock:

nappyknicks

Postby nappyknicks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Can't say i like people drafting me, but if there is someone doing so, i don't tend to change my riding. I might slow it down a little so they can overtake, but trying to drop them just means I'm going out of my way because the widget at the back decided to latch onto my wheel. 9 times out of 10, people end up overtaking.

It hasn't happen yet, but if someone latches on and for whatever reason I end up getting hit because he/she was too close, then I'm gonna serve it up to them for sure.

christian.lags

Postby christian.lags » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Am i correct to believe that the leader gets benefit as well?
i always thought that they had a disadvantage because of the people pulling them.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

christian.lags wrote:Am i correct to believe that the leader gets benefit as well?
i always thought that they had a disadvantage because of the people pulling them.
There is no benefit or cost to the leading cyclist other than listening to the panting from behind :shock: Having said that, in a proper group ride the leading cyclist is responsible for calling hazards and leading the pack in a controlled responsible manner to ensure everyones safety.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 am

christian.lags wrote:Am i correct to believe that the leader gets benefit as well?
The leader gets no benefits, he/she does all the work while the others save some energy while being dragged along my the leader. As comedian said, if your out on a group ride, you'll take turns at the front so you will get the benefit then of the others taking the lead.

I often get drafted into work, not sure why, but it does kinda annoy me sometimes. I mean, if your gonna ride into work, get off your arse and do it yourself and don't suck someones wheel to save some energy. The other reason I suppose it annoys me sometimes, is the majority of people who draft me (on my commute) don't actually know how too, more often than not their right up my arse, don't know or follow signals which can and has a few times caused near miss's and minor stacks.
Happy Days

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:06 am

Absolutely. The leader will typically be egged on to perform beyond their usual best and PB is for the taking whenever in that situation. Further, in a tight formation of a decent sized bunch, there's also a tiny aero benefit to the lead rider (relating to wake turbulence behind) but I wouldn't highlight that as most commute riders aren't that skilled in their drafting technique.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 am

sogood wrote:
Absolutely. The leader will typically be egged on to perform beyond their usual best and PB is for the taking whenever in that situation. Further, in a tight formation of a decent sized bunch, there's also a tiny aero benefit to the lead rider (relating to wake turbulence behind) but I wouldn't highlight that as most commute riders aren't that skilled in their drafting technique.
I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that most commuter drafting is done my unknown riders just looking to hitch a ride rather than riders who will egg you on, meaning the leader commuter rider is going to do his/her own ride in no matter who or what's behind them...
Happy Days

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:32 am

Livetoride wrote:
sogood wrote:
I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that most commuter drafting is done my unknown riders just looking to hitch a ride rather than riders who will egg you on, meaning the leader commuter rider is going to do his/her own ride in no matter who or what's behind them...
Unless you are also commuting for 'points'
I will now allocate myself points for dropping off draftees... :mrgreen:

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:38 am

Kenzo wrote: Unless you are also commuting for 'points'
I will now allocate myself points for dropping off draftees... :mrgreen:
99% of the riders I come across on route to work, were born rabbits and will always be rabbits. Very very few worthy contenders for the commuter cup points, so I don't really feel fair in taking them from the little rabbits...I prefer I good fight for the win... feels better :D :D
Happy Days

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:45 am

sogood wrote:Let's not call it drafting, but pacing. :wink:

You can be my derny anytime soogood :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:46 am

Livetoride wrote:I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that most commuter drafting is done my unknown riders just looking to hitch a ride rather than riders who will egg you on, meaning the leader commuter rider is going to do his/her own ride in no matter who or what's behind them...
There are those who don't care, and for the ones who cares, they'll effectively egg themselves on when there are draftees behind. :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:47 am

ft_critical wrote:You can be my derny anytime soogood :wink:
You are welcome if my legs can turn that huge chainwheel on the derny! :shock:

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:48 am

sogood wrote:
Livetoride wrote:I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that most commuter drafting is done my unknown riders just looking to hitch a ride rather than riders who will egg you on, meaning the leader commuter rider is going to do his/her own ride in no matter who or what's behind them...
There are those who don't care, and for the ones who cares, they'll effectively egg themselves on when there are draftees behind. :wink:

Good point :D
Happy Days

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 am

If they are fast enough to draft me, they usually have the appropriate skills, but if I don't feel good about it, I shut down and let overtake me. Sometimes I'll slowly crank it up until the crack, then I'll slow down to let them back on and repeat the process
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:56 am

mikesbytes wrote:Sometimes I'll slowly crank it up until the crack, then I'll slow down to let them back on and repeat the process
You are a natural coach/trainer. It really comes from the inside of your soul! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

albe

Postby albe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:05 am

so what would be the distance that something is "drafting" for noticeable benefit... excuse the noob question. I have tacked on to people before, but only with the purpose of pacing and seeing how my speed compares on a particular section or climb. Always thought i was staying far enough back... just wondering how close "sucking the wheel" would be to most people?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:34 am

albe wrote:
so what would be the distance that something is "drafting" for noticeable benefit... excuse the noob question. I have tacked on to people before, but only with the purpose of pacing and seeing how my speed compares on a particular section or climb. Always thought i was staying far enough back... just wondering how close "sucking the wheel" would be to most people?
Depends on the speed and conditions (prevailing winds, number of riders in front, size of rider in front relative to you etc) but in general I'd say that by the time you are a bike length back the draft is negligible.

mekore

Postby mekore » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:56 am

:lol: abit missunderstanding here to the first post....

i only do that (wait and tail again) several times, because i was curious that so many people stopped when i ride closer, compared to if i ride about 5-10 m behind..

mekore

Postby mekore » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 am

ft_critical wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I hardly ever come upon a rider fast enough to draft
Comedian wrote:When hammering there isn't anyone fast enough for me to draft or to draft me in general.
For every rider that’s never been drafted, there is a drafter who’s never been dropped :wink:
for those who feels invincible in the city, try beach road from melbourne CBD to my fave fish and chippery in blackrock 3-6pm any workdays.
if you cant find anybody worth to draft in a week, then you should make money out of your legs :D

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 am

witnessed my first genuine draft yesterday heading towards bris early morning, lycra'ed roady guy sucking the wheel of a super fit older guy on an equally old mountain bike along the bike path adjacent to Vic Park Golf Course in inner city Brisbane. mtb dude was good, very good - i couldnt catch him or even gain on him, but to suck the wheel (at most 2 wheel lengths off) for a distance of about 1.5km just looked creepy..... verging on pathetic. (google 'Human Centipede')

so based on this observation, surely under 'commute' conditions, a true draft (not just a close ghost) is akin to a 'stalk'... cant think of any circumstances that a real draft is socially acceptable under commute conditions.
chop wood

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 am

Sometimes a rider may be returning from a training session and will suck another riders wheel to save some energy and hence the silly looking situation of a roadie behind a mountainbiker
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

igstar

Postby igstar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:54 am

Comedian wrote:
christian.lags wrote:whats the most effective speed to draft on ?
The fastest you can!

Generally there isn't much benefit below about 25k.
You haven't cycled in my neck of woods in winter. When the winter SW winds start blowing from Antartica at 25 knots, I'm more than happy to sit behind someone at 20km/h

christian.lags

Postby christian.lags » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:43 pm

i had my first drafting accident on the 10th of june.
It was on a busy road as well, but luckily there were no cars behind me because there wouldve been a high probability that i could have gone under.
Was drafting a mate and got to close and i clipped his rear.
Luckily nothing bad happend to the bike, only some scratches on the shifters.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Glad you're OK. Yes, it could have gone a lot more pear-shaped than it did. In fact, in increased traffic situations it is more likely you'll be distacted from the wheel in front or your ride leader will need to make sudden moves so I'd suggest increasing your buffer in those conditions.