Shimano Alfine Hub

davidf140270

Shimano Alfine Hub

Postby davidf140270 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi everyone.

I was going to rebuild an old malvern star frame into a commuting bike and was looking to use the Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub. The reason for choosing an internal geared hub was as follows.

* Aesthetics. No rear or front derailleur.

* Something different.

* Technical challenge of putting said bike together.

Having said all that a number of things have put me off especially the price $585.00. I have had no experience of internal geared hubs until recently when we picked up a frameworks bike off the nature strip with a nexus hub. One aspect of the nexus hub that I didn't like was that if I had to change gears I had to stop pedaling. How does that work when going up hills?

What I want to know from riders that have used internal hubs is it worth it or would I be better going for the cheaper and more straightforward setup of derailleurs, cassettes etc.

Thanks.

CommuRider

Re: Shimano Alfine Hub

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Here is a discussion on Alfine 11

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 12&t=29140

I don't understand why you stop pedalling when you change gears on the Nexus? I don't with mine (Nexus 7 & 8 ) and have had no probs with hills.

Happy to pay the extra for an internal hub but it's a personal choice. Hated how my rear derailleur got bashed about and the internal hub gives my bikes a more streamlined effect. I am thinking about getting the Alfine 11 eventually. Given my commuter bike is now my second car, happy to pay the extra.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 am

CommuRider wrote:Here is a discussion on Alfine 11

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 12&t=29140

I don't understand why you stop pedalling when you change gears on the Nexus? I don't with mine (Nexus 7 & 8 ) and have had no probs with hills.

Happy to pay the extra for an internal hub but it's a personal choice. Hated how my rear derailleur got bashed about and the internal hub gives my bikes a more streamlined effect. I am thinking about getting the Alfine 11 eventually. Given my commuter bike is now my second car, happy to pay the extra.
Hi. It depends how hard you are pedaling as to whether the hub will change. I have a Alfine 8 and if you are seated and pedaling normally it will change without issues under load. However if I'm standing up smashing it changes don't happen until you back off a touch.

I've done a smidge over 4000k on mine and it's been a pretty good unit. Very low maintenance and trouble free. The only issue I have is that I keep stretching the chain. Most internal hubs don't have a chain tensioner in the drive train so taking the slack out of everything is a bit of a pain. My bike has a really easy system - an eccentric bottom bracket. This makes it easy compared to some of the other options but still the issue is that it's maintenance that has to be done. I can feel when I change gears the chain sort of tensioning under load and when I get that sensation I know I have to do something. In the past it has got a little loose and the chain has jumped and it's nearly thrown me off the bike :shock: I'm probably hard on it but I only get maybe two weeks of commuting between adjustments. I've just introduced a maintenance logging system (spreadsheet :roll: ) so I'll keep track of it.

I'm going to fit another new chain soon and I'll try to fit a chain guard to keep the water out of it when I do that.

mylesau

Shimano Alfine Hub

Postby mylesau » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:23 am

Comedian wrote:I'm probably hard on it but I only get maybe two weeks of commuting between adjustments.
I'd be either getting a better chain, changing to a different chain lube, checking chain line or checking that the EBB isn't slipping.

I can go 4,000 km between EBB adjustments? (Rohloff hub, but that shouldn't make a difference)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:02 am

mylesau wrote:
Comedian wrote:I'm probably hard on it but I only get maybe two weeks of commuting between adjustments.
I'd be either getting a better chain, changing to a different chain lube, checking chain line or checking that the EBB isn't slipping.

I can go 4,000 km between EBB adjustments? (Rohloff hub, but that shouldn't make a difference)
I can confirm the EBB is not slipping. I'm going from one end of the EBB to full adjustment the other way in 1500k. That's a lot of adjustment too. The chain is a shimano NX01 single speed chain. It's pretty expensive and pretty pimped. :) The oil used is either that gold stuff that cell sells or purple extreme so it's pretty good quality. Strangely I seem to kill chains on my other bike in record time too so I think it's just my awsomeness. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Thing is I'm often running pretty heavy and I use it as an all weather bike so it's gets constantly wet and gritty. That's why I thought the chainguard might help.

mylesau

Shimano Alfine Hub

Postby mylesau » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:44 am

Full length mudguards?

That's an odd looking chain - worth trying something different in my opinion. I use an SRAM PC890, but there are lots to choose from.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:19 pm

davidf140270 wrote:Hi everyone.

I was going to rebuild an old malvern star frame into a commuting bike and was looking to use the Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub. The reason for choosing an internal geared hub was as follows.

* Aesthetics. No rear or front derailleur.

* Something different.

* Technical challenge of putting said bike together.

Having said all that a number of things have put me off especially the price $585.00. I have had no experience of internal geared hubs until recently when we picked up a frameworks bike off the nature strip with a nexus hub. One aspect of the nexus hub that I didn't like was that if I had to change gears I had to stop pedaling. How does that work when going up hills?

What I want to know from riders that have used internal hubs is it worth it or would I be better going for the cheaper and more straightforward setup of derailleurs, cassettes etc.

Thanks.
Back to the OP's questions...

Before you pay up for the 11 speed and throw it at an old frame, I'd ponder how much gear range you actually need. If you don't need the 400%+ range, (and can tolerate some larger gearing jumps) then get the cheaper 7 or 8 speed hub. On my Nexus8 I only really use 3rd to 8th (though I could do with a 9th on the downhills, might fit a smaller sprocket next)

If it works you don't need to stop pedalling, though on the 4-5 gap I find you need to ease off the power a little or it won't shift. But that's partly an issue with the cheapest version I believe.

igstar

Postby igstar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:55 am

another +1 for Nexus 7 and 8. Currently using 8 speed and no issues. Occasional clunks when shifting from 4 to 5 but other than that no probs. Old models did require you to stop pedalling when changing gears.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Have you considered an sram dual drive?
http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfo ... l-drive-27
or they come in 24
http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfo ... l-drive-24
I've been using mine (original 3x7)for 15 years and have liked it so much I got a 27 speed
last night off ebay for $167.00AU plus freight
Only 985grms without the disk (I still use v-brakes) makes it lighter than the competion (that I've seen)
and mines been very dependable.
Its never needed any parts and has had few services despite having done some touring and many kms in four countries.
I'm not sure why its called dual as it has 3 internal gears and your choice of external although make sure you initially buy the correct shifters for your choice.
You have the choice of grip shift or trigger shifters
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SRAM-DualDri ... 27b6ae5c8b
I've heard people bitch that theres no drop bar specific system but theres always a work around.
I used shimano xt 7 speed push push shifters for years with mine until I wanted v-brake specific brake
levers which didnt come in the 7 speed combo.
I now use the grip shift and deore brake levers and xtr v-brake canterlevers
Good luck with your choice
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.