tour de timor

jules21

tour de timor

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:53 am

so i got my Ride On magazine in the mail from BV with an article on this race. and then it struck me - why don't i do it? (in 2012)

i'm seriously considering this. has anyone done it?

skull

Re: tour de timor

Postby skull » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 pm

yep

did 2009/2010 and am registered for this year.

Unfortunately you have missed the boat for this year as entries are closed.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:04 pm

i was aware of that. i'm thinking of 2012. i'd be interested in your experiences, if you can be bothered relating here.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Just checked out the website, does it say anywhere that it is for competitive riders only?

I would not mind riding around Timor but not too keen on zooming past everything, been twice, and apart form the exotic diseases the place is beautiful.

Definitely a country that could use some support to get on it's feet!

Interested is eople could post a little about their experience o the tour!

skull

Postby skull » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:09 pm

will post my trips, will be pretty long so wait out till I have a chance to write it up.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Sydguy wrote:Just checked out the website, does it say anywhere that it is for competitive riders only?
i believe it's 1st in 1st served. it's a race and there are some gun riders so i'd expect to be at the back of the field, but that doesn't worry me.
skull wrote:will post my trips, will be pretty long so wait out till I have a chance to write it up.
look forward to it.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Sydguy wrote:Just checked out the website, does it say anywhere that it is for competitive riders only?
It is an open event, so as Jules said first in first serve. Apart from the elites who are invites or previous winners.
jules21 wrote: i'd be interested in your experiences.
Any way what is the event like?
Well 2009 was the first year it was run. I was lucky and my employer entered a corporate team and has continued to do so, so that is how I first got onto it. I am by no means an elite rider, race div 4 on the road. Anyway the race is a mountain bike event but it is on some ashphalt in some locations and dirt in others. Mind you the roads are trashed with potholes bigger than a car, but you can get away with semi slick tyres for the whole race. In 2010 they introduced a little bit of single track on the last stage, however it was no longer than one km long.

In 2009 for a few days I managed to stick with a pretty fast bunch and on day three I finished only 20mins behind the race leaders on a 100km stage (mind you I went down that night and pulled out of the next day). So 2010 I trained more thinking I had a better chance but a lot more elite riders turned up because of all the prize money (15K first place). Also a lot of the fast guys were running road cassettes.

Anyway it also covers the other end and there were people doing eight hour days on the bike stopping for photos ect. there is a sag wagon for the back markers as the roads are closed and they want everyone off before reopening the road. There is plenty of support during the stages ans the night is secure camping at the villages. Also if you get swept you are still aloud to continue the next day.

The route has been different every year, apparently next year is the 2009 route again and then it carries in again rotating thru the three routes. Last year was definately harder than 2009 and this years route is one day longer and an extra 100km.

The hills are massive (check race profile on the timor website) the biggest issue I had is the heat as we come from winter and go into 35 degrees and 70% humidity. Cost wise, this year was $600 entry fee (for those who work won't pay for it :D ) flights Darwin to Dili with AirNorth doing specials were approx $400 rtn. You will also need to take your own camping gear so excess luggage can hurt if you can't organise some sort of deal.

It is an awesome event and I recommend doing it at least once.

here is a video of last years race http://vimeo.com/20605621