pneumonia !!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Re: pneumonia !!

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Hence why..... I have said, do things correctly and don't rush back into it! :(

Maybe speak to your doctor about Spiriva? This is a non steroid inhaler, that helps with expanding you lung capacity. :idea:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 pm

ok guys . I'M BACK ON THE BIKE :mrgreen: took 7 weeks and 1 day since onset .
i decided to jump on and do a 20km ride this morning . i did the ride without any synptoms at all , no cough , no puffing, no tiredness , coughed a little bit after the ride though , and went to the doctors for a progress checkup a few hours later . he says i have recovered well .
his advice is to stick to 20 km rides 2 to 3 times a week , not 60km rides for a while . i'm happy with that too , a friend of mine who cycles a lot for some years told me its better to change my style after some discussion about my riding a few weeks ago , he said change down your gears and cycle at 80-90 revolutions per min / and dont worry about your average speed, or how fast your going up hills .
so today , after 7 weeks off the bike i did just that , i acheived a 25km/hr av , doing this , and i was impressed flat out in the past in higher gears i was struggling to get 26.5 .
anyway , i enjoyed the ride , and the adrenealin on the settup ( pumping the tyres , getting bike ready etc was great)
I'M BACK :P

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Having had a couple of bouts of pneumonia in the past it's not something you can push! Good to hear you're back on the bike and well on the road to recovery!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Happy days ahead for you mate! 8)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:52 am

WOW what a story great read. I have had six weeks on and off the bike with a cold and now bronchitis its no fun :( after reading this I think I'll take it a bit more easy. I didn't ride this morning was going to go for an easy one but its 0.5 c outside didn't think that would help. Non steroid puffer will have to look into that Foo I'm back on amoxycillin, prendislone,seratide 250 and ventolin GGGRRRR. I've also been waking in the night covered in sweat never thought I was sick just to many blankets so again thanks for te read its shed some light for me.

MM

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Good luck getting rid of the wog Marty! :wink:
Goal 6000km

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Marty Moose wrote:WOW what a story great read. I have had six weeks on and off the bike with a cold and now bronchitis its no fun :( after reading this I think I'll take it a bit more easy. I didn't ride this morning was going to go for an easy one but its 0.5 c outside didn't think that would help. Non steroid puffer will have to look into that Foo I'm back on amoxycillin, prendislone,seratide 250 and ventolin GGGRRRR. I've also been waking in the night covered in sweat never thought I was sick just to many blankets so again thanks for te read its shed some light for me.

MM

good luck with your recovery , it takes months not weeks mate , keep in touch with your doctor atleast twice a week , and keep reading this thread to remind yourself of the recovery plan .

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Cheers GT had a day of work today my boss said I have too :) :) I went in right at the end of the day and was told I look pale take another one so I am. I feel heaps better after a day of rest. I'm so dark about not being able ride though :( I've lost all my fitness and power really annoying its so hard to get up to speed. Hope your recovery is going well I don't have it as bad as you did.

Cheers
Marty

kennoth

Postby kennoth » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36 am

I suffered a terrible bout earlier this year. I am 66 and have had malaria at least 3 times in my life.
Similar sort of condition. Took a good 3 months before I climbed back in the saddle, but I did and was starting to get the beat again.
Unfortunately then a prostate procedure (turps) was required. Another 3 months plus.
You will get frustrated and possibly depressed but keep going through the fog and ease back gently gently.
I am now weeks from my 67 th and rode with the boys last week ..80k and averaged 24.5 k/h so thats not bad.
Stick with it dont ever give up !
AND "GET VACCINATED AGAINST PNEUMONIA ITS FREE" I wish I had known this , not many do!!

Kennoth